Gauge cluster lighting fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbryan23

Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
400 SBC
Just wanted to post a quick thread in case this can help somebody in the future. This is for a 1978, but I guess might be applicable for 80s models also.

I had a problem with no instrument cluster lights. Headlights, marker lights, etc. all worked. So did the light for the fan/heater control panel. The fuse had power to it (although only like 8.8 volts instead of 12 for some reason).

I unplugged the wiring harness from the back of the instrument cluster just by reaching up under the dash... I didn't have to remove the cluster or anything. I used a multimeter to check power to each of the little metal contacts on the plug and found that 2 or 3 of them had power, but only one of which only had power with the headlight switch on. That was contact #2 on the plug. I was able to look up at the back of the cluster and, lo and behold, the little contact strip that should align with #2 on the plug was bent and sort of folded over. I straightened it out, stuck the plug back in and bingo... cluster lights are working.

So before you go through a whole lot of dismantling to try to fix instrument cluster lights, unplug it and check that A) #2 is getting power when the lights are on and B) the very thin and flimsy contact strip that integrates into the circuit system isn't twisted out of place.

dbryan23

Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
400 SBC
Update: I realized about 2 minutes after I posted that the reason the fuse only had 8 volts to it is because the headlight switch also acts as a dimmer. So when you're checking for power, make sure the knob isn't turned all the way to dim or you'll have 0 volts at the fuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod