Gauge cluster F%#k!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The other two are visible checks for functionality and are supposed to be observed while cranking the engine (no one ever does).

While the key is twisted to the start position, the coolant temp gauge (and the brake warning light) are shorted to ground through the ignition switch. The temp should peg out high, the brake light should illuminate.

If everything is wired right, they do actually peg high and light up respectively. Watch sometime.

I checked this test function yesterday. My temp gauge does not pin or attempt to do so while in crank position. I believe my oil light is combined with the brake light. That comes on with key on, no parking brake, then stays on at crank until pressure builds on the oil gauge then the light goes out.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
On my 85 K1500, The Brake light does turn on ONLY while in the starting position. It's off (wo the E brake applied) in the ON position, but does turn on just to crank the motor then goes out as soon as I'm off the start and return to ON. Didn't notice anything else moving at all and no other lights.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I checked this too.

Brake warning light illuminates in START and goes out when key is released to RUN.

The temp gauge on the other hand, seems to peg down. My truck starts too easily to really give the temp gauge time to react and I don't feel like disabling the engine right now. It's raining/cold outside and I'm old & feeble.

Maybe later.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
Thanks for the input! I just ordered it today. Let this be the end of this oddessey! I could not find a single brass fitting from a company to buy. They sell them in bulk of 50 at a time.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
OK, false alarm on the supposed OIL light in the tachometer. Robert assisted me again with the tach tonight (we did not have time to wire it up the other night) and found that it is just a common FASTEN SEATBELT light! Duh! :insane: It will not be hooked up at this time since my seatbelts apparently have no wires for it. Curiously though I had a seatbelt buzzer under the dash...? Anyway, pardon my oversight since I got this one mixed up with another gauge cluster that I have. And as always I thank Robert for his help.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
OK, false alarm on the supposed OIL light in the tachometer. Robert assisted me again with the tach tonight (we did not have time to wire it up the other night) and found that it is just a common FASTEN SEATBELT light! Duh! :insane: It will not be hooked up at this time since my seatbelts apparently have no wires for it. Curiously though I had a seatbelt buzzer under the dash...? Anyway, pardon my oversight since I got this one mixed up with another gauge cluster that I have. And as always I thank Robert for his help.

We can hook up the fasten seatbelt stuff but before we start on that project you need to make sure that your driver side seatbelt has the provisions to complete the circuit. Without it we are just peeing in the wind.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
It is a great feeling to finally have a full set of working gauges in my truck! The mechanical oil gauge is finally hooked up too (Classic Parts brass fitting). I HAVE to have gauges so I can see what is going on with the engine. Those sorry-looking factory idiot lights made me want to puke. However I am debating using the wire (brown I think) that went to the OIL idiot light for an idea I have. Now that I know that I have no OIL light in my new gauges I may install a LED light on the dash that will light up if I happen to miss any oil pressure loss in the other one. This way I have the best of both worlds, i.e. a gauge to see, and a light to warn in case of oversight. The OIL light I consider the only idiot light that has an important role, and this is why I am willing to have only this one.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Got mine yesterday and hope to get them installed between Christmas and New Years.

Dakota VHX gauges
You must be registered for see images attach

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I am jealous. I wish those weren't so expensive. They are hot! Nice buy!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It is a great feeling to finally have a full set of working gauges in my truck! The mechanical oil gauge is finally hooked up too (Classic Parts brass fitting). I HAVE to have gauges so I can see what is going on with the engine. Those sorry-looking factory idiot lights made me want to puke. However I am debating using the wire (brown I think) that went to the OIL idiot light for an idea I have. Now that I know that I have no OIL light in my new gauges I may install a LED light on the dash that will light up if I happen to miss any oil pressure loss in the other one. This way I have the best of both worlds, i.e. a gauge to see, and a light to warn in case of oversight. The OIL light I consider the only idiot light that has an important role, and this is why I am willing to have only this one.

I would if I were you. I also like gauges but I also like idiots lights for Water Temp and Oil. You can do it yourself and I'd run all separate wiring from scratch. This way the lights are set up directly, not running thru the OE harness and they are sure to work. It's very easy to do. If you wanted, you could even have just 1 light for both Hot and Low Oil. This way when the light turns on, you know to check your gauges and you'd know what the problem is by looking at the gauges. I prefer mine separate though. Just a small red pilot light next to the oil pressure gauge for oil, a small red pilot light next to the temp gauge for hot. As I've already said, I do a blue cold light.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Got mine yesterday and hope to get them installed between Christmas and New Years.

Dakota VHX gauges

Those are real beauties Robert! LMK if you need my help installing them!

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
I mentioned in a previous post that my rebuilt orginal inline 6 engine in this truck was blown up by a moron mechanic who drove it 60 miles with a bad oil pump. The idiot light never came on that I am aware of. When I turned on the knocking engine after this happened it sure was not lit. Had there been a gauge he MIGHT have noticed something amiss. Why that idiot light never illuminated like it was supposed to I will NEVER know.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Dakota VHX gauges

Those are ugly as it gets. I say you need to give those away for Christmas to someone. I'll PM you my address. I guess I can make them work so they don't go to waste. :rofl: Please please !!! I've been good all year !!!:worthy:

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Another advantage of having these new gauges is that the 100mph spedometer is more accurate than the old ratty 85 mph one. The old one was 10 miles too fast and the needle sometimes jumped around so you never knew for sure how fast you were going. I noticed after installation that the truck seemed to "feel" like the speed indicated on the new speedo. I drove past one of those police speed radar trailers that show you how fast you are going and now it is only about 2-3 miles too fast, but a world of improvement! A transmission shop had told me that there was some part in my transmission that needed to be replaced to fix this problem, and it turns out he was wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76