Gauge cluster F%#k!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I Found this gauge cluster at pic-n-pull laying on the seat of an 87 C-10, since it was in great shape and already removed I figured I would snag it. To my surprise they charged me 40 bucks for it!

You must be registered for see images attach

Its for sale on craigslist but I really doubt anyone is going to give me 40 bucks for it and the one in my truck now is a piece of ****. I thought about doing away with the stock gauges and retrofitting my after market ones in its place but my luck the oil gauge will leak, short something out and start my dash board on fire.

My truck came with idiot lights and now that the harness is plugged into a dash with gauges it does all kinds of weird **** like dash lights blinking with the turn signal and other cool stuff.

Besides buying the factory sending units needed how hard would it be to make these work in my truck?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn, Stay away from that pick n pull. When they told me $40, I'd have said, No Thanks. If it were a tacometer unit, different story. I'd have got it. Your Pic N Pull must be expensive. I think here, a cluster is $15 for a small one, and a large one like that would be $20 IIRC.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Adding the sensors and repinning the connector seems to be it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=452340

^^^THIS! You need to get a wiring diagram and redo the pinouts of the connector, and may have to swap some sending units from switch to gauge type since you had idiot lights for water temp/oil pressure. You may even have to run some new wires for certain things. And from what I read about factory mechanical oil pressure gauges they have a certain angle on the furrell for the oil line so check around before you just get any old 1/8" line set, it will leak more than likely.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
If you do end up having to run an oil line for a gauge, get the copper line. It's a few dollars more but they can take some abuse. I've had terrible luck with the cheap plastic lines. I think Auto Meter made the last copper oil line I bought. I picked it up in stock at O'rielly's for about 10 bucks for the entire kit.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Yeah I got ripped off that day at Pic-n-pull, the best part was the clear signal indicator lenses. They were trying to charge me more than a brand new set in lmc costs.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Fugg That place. I'd never go back and I'd make sure none of my friends went there either.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Yeah I got ripped off that day at Pic-n-pull, the best part was the clear signal indicator lenses. They were trying to charge me more than a brand new set in lmc costs.

If you're talking about the PNP in Sparks, avoid that **** hole like the plague. Go to the one in Carson City off Highway 50. For some reason, they were always $5-$10 cheaper on everything than the one in Sparks.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
If you're talking about the PNP in Sparks, avoid that **** hole like the plague. Go to the one in Carson City off Highway 50. For some reason, they were always $5-$10 cheaper on everything than the one in Sparks.

The one in sparks is the one I went too. I will check out the one in Carson next time though, while I got this dash apart I need to replace my heater box as well as any associated ducting that is broken or missing.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
I went to the PNP in Sparks one time looking for a parking light lens. I found one, walked up to the counter with it and they told me it was gonna be $30. :flipthebird:

I went to the PNP in Carson City and it was only $7. This was after the guy in Sparks told me they had the best prices in town......:Moon:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I have not been back there since that day, I figured I would owe them about 60 bucks at the most and when they said 120 I almost ****. I should have walked out.

All I had was:

The gauge cluster
trim peices
4 hub caps
a ****** looking over flow bottler
turn signal lenses with cracks in them

That was it.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
The only good deal I got from them were 5, 15" Pontiac Rally rims with beauty rings off of a T/A for my Ventura II. I got the wheels with tires for $23 total.....not each. I rock :rockit:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I dont understand their pricing, they will sell good **** for close to nothing and junk for 5 times the price. I think they charged me 10 bucks for my trim peices that would have been an arm and a leg out of LMC. To add to it I took all their trucks trim parts off to make my complete set.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
I went out there one summer day and found a beautiful, (at one time), 88-95 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. The only problem was....it had burned to the damn ground, top to bottom front to back! There wasn't anything left of the interior, the tires had melted, valve covers on the motor warped along with the air cleaner etc, etc.

I wondered who in the hell would be desperate enough to try and grab the sheetmetal off it. It sat out there for 2 months before they decided to crush it.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The day I went they had a suburban with the most flawless interior I have ever seen, it was incredible! This burb looked like it was stored in a garage, even the engine compartment was clean and totally factory. I still kick myself for not pulling out the dash pad, at the same time they might have charged me a grand for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76