Zone 4" Lift Springs...Install & Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Thanks Don :)

I am gonna order all my bushings from energysuspensionparts.com They have everything I need. In fact you can buy every thing you need to replace every piece of rubber bushing on our trucks for $300 or less. That's pretty good and I like the idea of all red bushings.

Also almost any speed shop can order them if you give them the part #s

I have never seen shocks come with boots but they will sell you them for $3 a boot. they come in packs of 2, in almost any color. I always use the boots. But I make sure that there is always a drain hole below the cylinder to body seal. In fact I never even get moisture inside the boots unless you submerge it in mud or water. So for DD use, boots work very well. If you nick the cylinder the fluid can leak out and then your shock is done. So I use the boots and my current shocks are 7 years old and work like I bought them yesterday.

Also it seems to me that the cheapest and best bang for your buck are the Pro Comp ES3000 shocks usually about $50 a piece.

I am pretty sure that is where I got my front bushings from. In the old days, back in 1985-86 when I bought my kit, you got to choose which color you wanted for your shock boots. It seems that is not so common anymore. I think it is because it costs money for the manufacturer.

I just replaced all 10 of mine last year. I have always used them as well. I got them from Summit.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I am pretty sure that is where I got my front bushings from. In the old days, back in 1985-86 when I bought my kit, you got to choose which color you wanted for your shock boots. It seems that is not so common anymore. I think it is because it costs money for the manufacturer.

I just replaced all 10 of mine last year. I have always used them as well. I got them from Summit.

I got mine from 4WheelParts.com and they had a selection of colors to choose from. I am a big fan of those Pro Comp ES3000 shocks because they only cost $50 and are easily twice the shock that the HD Munroe shock is that you buy from the parts stores. The cylinder and body are much larger on the Pro Comps.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well I got my sway bar cleaned up and installed the swivel links. I sprayed the swivel links with clear coat to ensure the welds don't start rusting. The finish on the links is somewhat lacking. I was gonna paint them but I ran out of black engine enamel so I just clear coated them.

I used a wire wheel on the grinder and then some Rust Mort, some Wax and Grease remover and then a shot of Etching primer and Engine Enamel. I will Clear coat it too later.

You must be registered for see images attach

Man those Energy Suspension Bushings fit awesome with no play at all!

I should have taken a picture. I just burned the old rubber bushings out. Just a couple minutes on each side and they popped right out. That's how Im gonna remove the bushings from my rear springs too

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Got the sway bar swivel links installed.

It was very noticeable how they really freed the suspension to be able to move. Much smoother ride over small bumps and pot holes. These are 1 ton 6" SuperLift springs so they are fairly stiff. But as soon as I put the swivel links on you could notice a big difference in ride quality on the street.

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You know I realize its called a "sway bar" but it makes me wonder because of how the axle is attached to the frame if it acts like another dampener for the front end.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You know I realize its called a "sway bar" but it makes me wonder because of how the axle is attached to the frame if it acts like another dampener for the front end.

For sure it does because it equalizes the rate of travel of both springs. Just like a dampener it dampens one side relative to the other side. This is how it eliminates or controls body roll.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Got the sway bar swivel links installed.

It was very noticeable how they really freed the suspension to be able to move. Much smoother ride over small bumps and pot holes. These are 1 ton 6" SuperLift springs so they are fairly stiff. But as soon as I put the swivel links on you could notice a big difference in ride quality on the street.

So you would recommend this modification? I have not dropped my sway bar. My lift kit did not come with the drop brackets and the sway bar bolted up just fine. I have a 6 inch lift also with 6 leaves on the front spring.

I have replaced the spring bushings with new Energy Suspension bushings. The sway bar bushings were replaced with Energy Suspension bushings back on the late 80's as well. My ride is a little stiff to say the least. Is Zone the name brand of these brackets and does Summit sell them?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So you would recommend this modification? I have not dropped my sway bar. My lift kit did not come with the drop brackets and the sway bar bolted up just fine. I have a 6 inch lift also with 6 leaves on the front spring.

I have replaced the spring bushings with new Energy Suspension bushings. The sway bar bushings were replaced with Energy Suspension bushings back on the late 80's as well. My ride is a little stiff to say the least. Is Zone the name brand of these brackets and does Summit sell them?

I believe there is another company that sells the same thing except with quick disconnect pins instead of bolts. I don't know which company that is though :(

Yes I would recommend this Zone kit over the blocks any day! The difference is very noticeable! However don't think that its gonna make your springs softer then they are lol. If my springs were softer like the Zone 4" springs that I will be putting on then my ride would be even better!

Once I get the Zone springs on it will be interesting to be able to compare the ride quality to my current SuperLift 6" springs.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I was going to go with the Offroad Design one, but ended up just removing the sway bar completely. The 3/4 ton suspension is stiff enough it doesn't lean much when cornering. My truck isn't too tall, and I don't use a slide in camper.
I really like the way it rides now but I spend a lot of time on rough dirt roads.
What I did was just unbolt the 2 bolts that hold it to the u-bolt plate and then rotate the sway bar upward and temporarily wire it in place. I went for a test drive thinking it wouldn't make much of a difference. There was one bump that always made the front hit hard- it is a dip in the road (kinda like a reverse speed bump). With the sway bar removed it took is so much nicer. Money was tight at the time so I simply removed it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly