Wondering what I have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well it's a 87 suburban 2500 lifted I don't know how much just clears 35s but I want 38s because the 35s drag my front and rear diffs on the trail to where I like to fish I don't know what all has been done to it I bought it this way

Here is a picture of it like I said 35s i don't know what Alls been done

Now, where getting somewhere. That looks to be about a 4 inch. You should already have the drop steering arm I'd imagine. That's not a bad looking stance at all. But you're purpose for going to 38's is to get more ground clearance? That's a whole lotta money to spend on 38's just to gain 1 1/2 axle clearance and it's in reality, probably more like 1 1/4. The trail must be rutted up pretty bad huh? You realize a lift kit, body or suspension either one will NOT cure differential clearance. Noway to drive one side or the other of the ruts? You know your front diff pumpkin is on the passenger side, so maybe stay to the right of the rut and the front may clear. The rear axle can be shaved a bit if done right for a bit of clearance, and also if done right, even if it does drag, it won't tear anything up.

1911_colt

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
Ya I know it won't give me much more and ya the ruts are bad we high centered my father in laws 4runner on the ruts it has 33s and I have a free set o 38s from my dad and that is the biggest I wanna go with my kids being rather little and so my dog can still jump into the back

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
the lift looks more like 6'' to me

it is possable you have 4:10 gears i just moslty have seen 3/4 ton subs with 3:73

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
You realize a lift kit, body or suspension either one will cure differential clearance.

Ahem...hehe....since when does a lift of any kind give you more ground clearance from the bottom of your diffs housings when the lift is all above the axles? Tires are whats going to get him more diff clearance from the ground.

The 38s will require some fender trimming, more than likely, with that lift you have.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Ahem...hehe....since when does a lift of any kind give you more ground clearance from the bottom of your diffs housings when the lift is all above the axles? Tires are whats going to get him more diff clearance from the ground.

The 38s will require some fender trimming, more than likely, with that lift you have.

I wondered about that...Ol' HR is getting absent minded?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

DOH, FORGOT the NOT. That was my whole point in making the statement, that It won't. Need to edit that.

1911_colt

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
I also want that look too with how big the body of my suburban is I need a bigger tire to make it look the way I want

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like 6" to me also.

I don't think you will be able to get it much higher without spending a bunch of money. You can do things like adding "zero rates" to the springs and running longer shackles up front, but you will be at the point of needing custom driveshafts and more steering mods. Might as well just lift it again with the right parts to get the tire clearance you want and then sell your current lift parts that will be left over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckboy_17