Wiring issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich Adams

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Similar if not same issue here. I’ve been chasing this demon for a couple days now.
Battery is good at 14.7v
New ignition switch on top of the steering column. Multimeter shows good continuity and proper functions.
Fuses at fuse block are good.
My problem most likely hinges on the 12g purple wire with white stripe hooked to the BAT1 tab on the ignition switch.
Oh, fyi… I have a manual transmission.
Anyway, the PPL/W wire leads to a connector (gm2962967) that also has a solid PPL wire in it.
Someone in the past has made a short jumper wire to bridge these wires together instead of going to where they are suppose to go…the missing START INTERLOCK switch.
Here’s my dilemma…I can’t find where this switch would be located. I’ve searched all along the clutch petal, clutch arm, spring, rod, and any other linkage and can’t find any indication of where a switch would be mounted. The NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH usually located at the base of the steering column on the top side is for an automatic transmission. Therefore I don’t have one.
The 12g solid PPL wire goes from this connector to the bulkhead fuse block (circuit #6). On the engine compartment side, this PPL wire goes from the bulkhead connector to the S post on the starter solenoid.
So why does the truck require a switch to be on in order to start (and turn off) the truck?
The switch draws power from a 12g RED wire that starts at a positive terminal of one of the junction blocks in the engine compartment located on the firewall.
The toggle switch has a ground wire, as well as a hot PINK wire that plugs into the fuse panel (circuit #2).
Here’s my starting routine:
1. Turn toggle switch to the on position,
2. Press in clutch pedal and brake pedal,
3. Insert key into the ignition tumbler and turn to the START position,
4. VROOM! The engine starts.
I can now turn the key back to the locked position and remove it but the truck will stay running until I move the toggle switch to the off position.
Soooo….what’s my solution?

Thank you to all who took the time to read this. -Rich
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84sqbdy