Windshield squirter wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Over the weekend I was going through the truck’s wiring to integrate the sniper harness. My squirters never worked and I’ve found a possible culprit. The connector that went to the squirter deal has 3 terminals. One has a black wire, one has a gray wire and one has two white wires. One of the white wires goes into the main wiring connector on the firewall, the other is clipped and goes nowhere. Anyone know off the top of their head where it should go? @chengny ? I’m looking through the wiring diagrams that @hatzie posted, but when I blow them up on my phone they’re blurry for some reason...
You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Over the weekend I was going through the truck’s wiring to integrate the sniper harness. My squirters never worked and I’ve found a possible culprit. The connector that went to the squirter deal has 3 terminals. One has a black wire, one has a gray wire and one has two white wires. One of the white wires goes into the main wiring connector on the firewall, the other is clipped and goes nowhere. Anyone know off the top of their head where it should go? @chengny ? I’m looking through the wiring diagrams that @hatzie posted, but when I blow them up on my phone they’re blurry for some reason...

Because you don't provide a model year, it is a time consuming - and speculative - process to locate the appropriate wiring dwg. I am going to make my best guess based on the following:

First thing is: the leads - and that connector - probably don't even go to the washer pump. Wiring to the washer pump solenoid only uses two leads. The only 3 pin harness connector used for the wiper/washer group (that I know of anyway), goes to the wiper motor windings.

1. Since the pump is integral with the wiper motor - as opposed to the tank mounted style - we must be discussing a 1984 or older model.

2. The leads to the 3 pin harness connector from MY 1978 and down were YEL/LT BLU/WHT and all had a BLK tracer. Those colors would be hard to confuse with the colors of the leads shown in your hand above.

That leaves model years 1979 through 1984. The leads used in the 3 pin connector for those years were PPL/GRAY/WHT. With the WHT jumped over to the washer solenoid (a 2 pin connector) and the GRAY jumped over to the parking switch (also only 2 pins). Problem is, none of those leads had a BLK tracer and yet, when I look closely at the images you provided, the middle lead appears to have a BLK tracer.

I really don't know where to go from here. I can't even make a guess - as promised above.

Can you provide an image (or even better, a part number) of your wiper/washer unit? Also where does the bottom WHT lead - in the far RH bay - go? Your hand is covering all of it except for the first inch. There should be 3 connectors that plug into the wiper/washer unit a 3 pin type and two of the 2 pin type.

Finally, look closely at the intact WHT lead - where it goes through the FW connector. See if there is another lead spliced into it that has been diked off.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
That leaves model years 1979 through 1984. The leads used in the 3 pin connector for those years were PPL/GRAY/WHT. With the WHT jumped over to the washer solenoid (a 2 pin connector) and the GRAY jumped over to the parking switch (also only 2 pins). Problem is, none of those leads had a BLK tracer and yet, when I look closely at the images you provided, the middle lead appears to have a BLK tracer.

Edit: this should have included the comment posted below, sorry for the confusion

Last edited:

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
That's the same connector as the one on my 85, Purple, gray and white. no black tracer on the gray, and only one white lead.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Because you don't provide a model year, it is a time consuming - and speculative - process to locate the appropriate wiring dwg. I am going to make my best guess based on the following:

First thing is: the leads - and that connector - probably don't even go to the washer pump. Wiring to the washer pump solenoid only uses two leads. The only 3 pin harness connector used for the wiper/washer group (that I know of anyway), goes to the wiper motor windings.

1. Since the pump is integral with the wiper motor - as opposed to the tank mounted style - we must be discussing a 1984 or older model.

2. The leads to the 3 pin harness connector from MY 1978 and down were YEL/LT BLU/WHT and all had a BLK tracer. Those colors would be hard to confuse with the colors of the leads shown in your hand above.

I really don't know where to go from here. I can't even make a guess - as promised above.

Can you provide an image (or even better, a part number) of your wiper/washer unit? Also where does the bottom WHT lead - in the far RH bay - go? Your hand is covering all of it except for the first inch. There should be 3 connectors that plug into the wiper/washer unit a 3 pin type and two of the 2 pin type.

Finally, look closely at the intact WHT lead - where it goes through the FW connector. See if there is another lead spliced into it that has been diked off.

The three pin connector does go to the wiper motor. I have it mounted in place an connected back together in the pictures below. The purple, gray and white wires all originate at the firewall socket. The second white wire jumping out of the connector, is currently going nowhere. The other side of the three pin connector goes to the wiper motor. The only number I could pull was 22021654 with a separate ‘24’ stamped above it. The truck is a K30. It has parts from different years. Your guess is better than mine. Here are the pictures:

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That's the same connector as the one on my 85, Purple, gray and white. no black tracer on the gray, and only one white lead.
By black tracer, do you mean stripe? If so, I think it’s just a plain gray wire with rubberized sound deadening that the PO got everywhere.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
What year is the cab?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
What year is the cab?
I think 86ish, but I’ve read that CUCV cabs, no matter the year are mostly 84 parts. Not sure about the accuracy of that, however.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
PDF apps for your phone generally do quite badly. Open em on your MAC or PC.
If it's a real CUCV then you'll need the DOD TMs not the civvy manuals. SteelSoldiers has em for free. Again use a PC or MAC or a decent tablet with the real ADOBE Reader not your phone.

That looks like a 1980ish setup so I'll go with that. Other than colors there's not much difference from 78-84. The general operation of the 73-91 systems are the same. 84ish GM changed to a divorced washer pump and 73-77 handled parking slightly differently.

GM switches the grounds on the wipers and provides power with the ignition switched on. Usually, this is on the white wires... 78-83/84ish this is how it works.
  1. The motor plug is three terminals directly on the motor. Ignition Power, LOW ground, and HI ground. I've never seen RF suppression caps installed inline with the motor wiring like that but obviously, someone did it... don't feel like digging out the wiring TM for the CUCV. It would make sense that Uncle Sam wanted to have as small an RF footprint as possible.
  2. The Park plug is on the far left. The black wire with the blue stripe is ground from the wiper switch OFF position. The gray wire is tied to the gray motor LOW ground wire. This keeps the LOW motor windings grounded with the dash switch in the off position til the park switch opens at the bottom of the wiper sweep.
  3. The washer plug is in the center with one pink and one white wire. The white wire should be hot with the ignition on and the pink wire is grounded by the washer switch. There's a fairly complex gear and switch arrangement inside the wiper motor housing that controls the washers. If you have power on the 12v wire try grounding the pink wire. If that doesn't make it go the motor has issues. If it works then there's a break in the wire between the switch and the washer plug or the switch is dodgy.
The White power wire is sometimes daisy-chained to the washer plug at the motor plug and sometimes wyed at the firewall plug. You somehow have both... If the white wires to the motor and the washer plugs go to the same terminal at the bulkhead then the dangling wire is extraneous. I'd fold the end over and heatshrink over the loop and tape it to the wiper motor pigtail with harness tape to avoid shorting it out. Uncle Sam might've had some other use for that ignition switched wire so I'd keep it available but safe.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
PDF apps for your phone generally do quite badly. Open em on your MAC or PC.
If it's a real CUCV then you'll need the DOD TMs not the civvy manuals. SteelSoldiers has em for free. Again use a PC or MAC or a decent tablet with the real ADOBE Reader not your phone.

That looks like a 1980ish setup so I'll go with that.
GM switches the grounds on the wipers and provides power with the ignition switched on. Usually, this is on the white wires...
  1. The motor plug is three terminals directly on the motor. Power, LOW ground, and HI ground. I've never seen RF suppression caps installed inline with the motor wiring like that but obviously, someone did it.
  2. The Park plug is on the far left. The black wire with the blue stripe is chassis ground. The gray wire is tied to the gray motor LOW ground wire. This keeps the LOW motor windings grounded til the park switch opens.
  3. The washer plug is in the center with one pink and one white wire. The white wire should be hot with the ignition on and the pink wire is grounded by the washer switch. There's a fairly complex gear and switch arrangement inside the wiper motor housing that controls the washers. If you have power on the 12v wire try grounding the pink wire. If that doesn't make it go the motor has issues. If it works then there's a break in the wire between the switch and the washer plug or the switch is dodgy.
The White power wire is sometimes daisy-chained to the washer plug at the motor plug and sometimes wyed at the firewall plug. You somehow have both... If the white wires to the motor and the washer plugs go to the same terminal at the bulkhead then the dangling wire is extraneous. I'd fold the end over and heatshrink over the loop and tape it to the wiper motor pigtail with harness tape to avoid shorting it out... or just clip it off flush with the terminal without damaging the other wire.
The hi/Lo wiper functions always worked. The squirters did not. Maybe I just need to clean out the fluid reservoir and pick up tube really well prior to reinstallation. I’ll tape the mystery wire safely out of the way until it gets figured out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The plug for the washer pump is that one near the top, with a pink with and whitish colored wire.

The other plug near the top is the park switch connector.

The plug with multiple wires is the high/low of the motor itself.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, those washer pumps are highly unreliable. A remote mount pump, mounted below the fluid level in the reservoir works well.

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
The plug for the washer pump is that one near the top, with a pink with and whitish colored wire.

The other plug near the top is the park switch connector.

The plug with multiple wires is the high/low of the motor itself.

Park switch connector??? don't mean to hijack your post bud but I'm curious as to what this is because my wiper do not work at the moment and I'm being nosey.

"UPDATE" sorry, if id of actually read id of seen where there was a description.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
If the washer is OK electrically then you can get a replacement diaphragm and gasket kit for the washer setup. You can also get replacements for the internal plastic gears and cams. However, Andy is correct. These have a less than stellar track record for reliablity. I can't remember any of my 70's GM rigs with this setup that kept working for more than a year.
You could also install a 1985-1991 remote pump and reservoir and extend the pink and white wires to reach it. It's a GM squarebody truck part and generally quite reliable. The mount is removable and can be installed on the earlier model inner fender. I did this on my 76 along with upgrading to a 78-80 wiper motor.

I've often thought it would be nice to cruise the yards and find a later model washer tank that holds more than a gallon of fluid instead of 2-3 quarts like my stock tank. The pumps are fitted using Rubber grommets near the bottom side of the tanks. I'd need to find one that's compact enough with a gooseneck filler spout so that it can be tucked down out of the way. Maybe under one of the battery trays?

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small