Wind noise is running me stir crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Ainsworth

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum. It took you six months to say something!

Got life going on, plus still figuring out my way around the forum. Usually I like to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Rides are 69 Camaro, 50 Chevy Panel, 86 Sierra Classic.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
To help diagnose the area of wind noise, buy a 2" roll of painters tape. Basically, you will tape off the jamb lines one at a time and go for a drive. Then move to the window/vent area. Tape straight lines to a point just before a corner. Tape corners separately.

Be advised that you could have multiple leaks, so start peeling off the strips one at a time. If you find another re-tape it and continue removing tape strips until you have removed all the tape that you started with.

If you still have a leak after the door/window is completely tape off, remove mirror, antenna (if you have one on the fender), tape off moldings, etc. Basically, think outside the box. You're driving a brick through the air. Not really aerodynamic, but always cool as hell. :)

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I just ran a straight pipe, and that took care of the problem for me. David Freiburger once said "the louder your exhaust, the less stereo you need."

But seriously, I just want to the junk yard and took the weatherstripping out of some 88-98 trucks, and installed it right in, it did get rid if a lot of the noise.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
Get some "303" protectant and keep the vent window seals soaked/covered with it for a couple of days just keep spraying it on 4-5 times a day. Leave the vent windows ajar so there is NO tension on the seals, The "303" will soften and slightly swell the seals. check to make sure the vent window latches hold the glass in tight to the seal. this eliminated 95% of the wind noise in my cab.

Olnick

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
ok what type of 303? got a link? there are about ten zillion different types. highdesertranger

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok what type of 303? got a link? there are about ten zillion different types. highdesertranger
I think he just talking about the regular one...just same 303 protectant you. An out on anything. I know they make specific seat stuff , tire etc...isn't it just labeled that way and basically all the same stuff since you can put the original one on basically anything?

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I know this is an old thread but I saw a tip for finding wind noise on one of the "car shows" on the TV this past Sunday morning. The guy turned the key on to power and turned the fan/heater on high. Then with a stethoscope he exited the car and went round the seals etc and could hear the wind noise from the fan pushing air out. Seemed like a good idea for someone who comes across this topic with the same issue.

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
To help diagnose the area of wind noise, buy a 2" roll of painters tape. Basically, you will tape off the jamb lines one at a time and go for a drive. Then move to the window/vent area. Tape straight lines to a point just before a corner. Tape corners separately.

Be advised that you could have multiple leaks, so start peeling off the strips one at a time. If you find another re-tape it and continue removing tape strips until you have removed all the tape that you started with.

If you still have a leak after the door/window is completely tape off, remove mirror, antenna (if you have one on the fender), tape off moldings, etc. Basically, think outside the box. You're driving a brick through the air. Not really aerodynamic, but always cool as hell. :)
This.

By the way - they were noisy when new.

That's why you see these extra seals come and go. Somebody high up would complain about wind noise so we would scurry around and design solutions and get them in production.

Then, the next time there was a cost cutting program they would be the first thing to go.

K

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I know this is an old thread but I saw a tip for finding wind noise on one of the "car shows" on the TV this past Sunday morning. The guy turned the key on to power and turned the fan/heater on high. Then with a stethoscope he exited the car and went round the seals etc and could hear the wind noise from the fan pushing air out. Seemed like a good idea for someone who comes across this topic with the same issue.
I would block the door vent partially or all the way then

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
My passenger vent window has wind noise. Putting a cardboard “shim” beneath the vent window handle helps.

I run $0.15 in mine - works GREAT!

Attachments

• 20221128_022501.jpg
    20221128_022501.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 53

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I run $0.15 in mine - works GREAT!
sounds like the division post run channel thing deflects from "perfect" if it has to be shimmed but i am trying that out on my f150. dumb things have seals that literally shrink to barelly being long reahch what it seals

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I fixed a loud whistle in mine with a new vent window latch assembly. Whistle is now gone. Didn't touch the seals at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don