Will these headers work with a 4x4 Square?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Best of luck and let us know how it turns out! The VW downpipe does have a flex joint in it. Seems VW/Audi (I've owned a lot of both) do have some spendy parts.

For a plow truck are you just plowing your own driveway or going to be plowing out others? Just ask because I remember my dad hiring someone to plow out our driveway when I was a kid and remember being woken up at 5am by the sound of an old Chevy with loud exhaust out there plowing.... no mufflers will be a bit loud.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Best of luck and let us know how it turns out! The VW downpipe does have a flex joint in it. Seems VW/Audi (I've owned a lot of both) do have some spendy parts.

For a plow truck are you just plowing your own driveway or going to be plowing out others? Just ask because I remember my dad hiring someone to plow out our driveway when I was a kid and remember being woken up at 5am by the sound of an old Chevy with loud exhaust out there plowing.... no mufflers will be a bit loud.

Heh, heh.. If ONLY.. No, it's just plowing my place, and my dad's. He's about 10 minutes away, so it'll be ok. It won't be much louder than it is now, with no muffler, and half the exhaust rotted out, and leaking everywhere..

From what I can tell, even the crossover pipe is all full of holes..

Straight pipes aren't that bad if aren't romping the loud pedal.

Won't be any louder than the harleys that go by here all summer, and the snowmobiles with their tuned pipes BRAAAAAPP!!! ing at all hours of the night all winter.

We are kinda rural.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So it seems like a big consideration for you is price. Why not pull off what you have now, clean them up, and spray them with some ceramic header paint? That should keep them looking good for a while. If they start to look bad again in a couple of years, pull them back off and re-coat them. $20 for this procedure seems generous in my mind. And you will be staying with a factory set-up and not needing to worry about how a new set-up is going to interact with everything.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
So it seems like a big consideration for you is price. Why not pull off what you have now, clean them up, and spray them with some ceramic header paint? That should keep them looking good for a while. If they start to look bad again in a couple of years, pull them back off and re-coat them. $20 for this procedure seems generous in my mind. And you will be staying with a factory set-up and not needing to worry about how a new set-up is going to interact with everything.

Well, I DO want to have dual exhaust, the crossover is shot, so I am going to need to get front to back.

Stock manifolds aren't the same on both sides, so I will have to monkey around for each side to get everything to line up and be straight in the back end.

Also, both Ram honrs, and these look a lot cleaner as previously pointed out. So, yeah, 90% cost, and 10% looks is pushing me this way.

Heck, I may end up just putting regular steel exhaust pipe on the existing, I am weighing my options. I was looking for a serious deal breaker on these, so far, haven't found one. I have always liked headers, not just form the power standpoint, they just look better, cleaner, and honestly, if I could get away with it, my vehicles would all look like something from mad MAx, with headers and pipes everywhere,, LOL..

What I have figured out, is that quite a few on here have an irrational hatred for short headers. Ok, I get it, some don't like the loos, or whatever, but seriously, some of this makes less sense than the guys who scream at you for putting non stock rims on your truck.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Here are some more thoughts I had.

Running duals with the factory manifolds is no problem. That is how my '79 is, duals that end in the factory locations. Straight out the back would be no problem. This option saves you a $100 because you don't have to buy anything.

You are not looking for power gains, you were asking about fitment. Looks like 77 K20 answered that for you. You were looking for stainless stuff to hold up to the winter. And you like the look of headers. Why have you not bought these yet?! These sound like something you want. Who cares what we all think in the end anyway? I say go for it!

I don't see much in the way of negatives. The only ones I might offer is the chance these are not a good grade of 304 stainless. These will most likely be the lowest quality Chinese 304 so they can keep cost down. And they are almost guaranteed to be manufactured in China, so you may not get the highest quality workmanship. Hopefully they used the correct welding rods...

Being this is for a plow truck, either of the cast manifolds may actually be better for cold weather operation. The manifolds will most likely retain heat better and keep your underhood warmer, promoting better fuel atomization.

Whatever you do, post results! I was real close to buying some cheap stainless shorties for my Monte, so I am not boo-hooing you thinking about these at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman