Will a gallon of paint, be enough?? pls help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The people at Shwerwin williams told me the gallon of paint and clear is enough to paint my reg cab long box. I already painted the door jambs and dash back of cab and front of bed. I have about 3/4 or a lil more of paint left.

Does anybody know if this is enough to paint the rest of the extieor of my truckl. im not painting the inside of the bed.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It should be. A lot of it depends on how well the paint covers.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
exactly, but I'm going to say seeing as that you alreadu used some, NO.

Now a full gallon not doing jambs yes it should.

Now with that said I'm going to try and get 3 quarts of base to do my reg. cab short bed, no jambs, just maybe the bottom side of the hood, but I am dumping 2 gallons of clear on it to wet sand and buff it out. I am also going to try and do behind the cab and front of the bed somewhat. Not sure how well it's gonna work may end up needing another quart to do it all.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i went to SW today and bought anohter full QT so i feel much better. now i have a full gallon of paint and the inside of the cab and jambs and doors are done. SO i should have enough now

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm thinking if it were me, I'd go ahead and mix that quart with the 3 quarts you have so if there is the slightest difference in color it's not going to show. Even if it is off a hair in hue, the dash and jambs will not be able to show the difference, but just in case, that's what I'd do. I know it seems wierd but like buying carpet, always important to try and get the exact same dye lot cuz it can be off a smidge for those who are picky and will notice.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
hrpc is definately right, anytime you have paint mixed seperately, mix them together to ensure proper color. No variations. Although painting on different days, temps, humidity, pressure etc. changes the hue some too.

I painted my old mans truck, inside and out, all of the cab and doors, front of the bed and back of the cab, outside, with 2 gallons of single stage, harnder and the one gallon of reducer did both gallons of paint. I ran out inside the bed though. Mostly my fault, gun wasn't acting right inside the cab and was very dry, so I had to go over it more in the cab.

usmdude

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Mixing not a good idea

I've sold paint for 13 years. DON'T MIX IT..... Use the new quart as the first coat of base. Come back with the other you already had as top coats..... Trust me...... You don't want to mix them you will alter the color. NO 2 cans are exactly the same.

Doing this as I just said,. Will allow you to have the same top color of the base coat... Basically hiding the other paint. I learned that trick from a guy that's been paint since the early 70tys. It works and keeps everything the same color.

Jbo

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea if you mix them all together it will make them all the exact same no difference.

the way you described they are going to be different and who knows whether you'd want the first coat's color more then the last coat? I'd just mix them together to ensure they are the exact same then lay it to it.

So why not?

usmdude

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
He has already painted some stuff on the truck. There for unless he wants to re-coat what he has already painted. He should do like I said. Or the new color you will get from mixing the two difference can of paint will show, as another color.

Yes what you said about mixing the two is fine. BUT, it will only work if your going to repaint what you've already painted or you would have had to mixed all the paint together to start with.

The method I have described in my first post will allow ALL the top coats to be from the same mixing of paint. Which is what you want if your painting and you realize your running out.

Jbo

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well I knew that much I just missed the part where he had already painted things. I thought he hadn't painted anything except maybe jambs and such, which wouldn't matter too much being different.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I already painted the door jambs and dash back of cab and front of bed. I have about 3/4 or a lil more of paint left.

As said above yes he has painted some of the truck already but for hes done there shoudnt be an issue if its a different mix aslong as its not that far off it shouldnt show up.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
ok I thought it was only, well mostly unseen areas he had painted.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
ok I thought it was only, well mostly unseen areas he had painted.

Right, so did I. I don't know anyone that is going to check that the door jambs match the tailgate of the hood. :shrug:

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I say mix and shoot unless hes going for some concourse finsh nobody will ever notice

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
im just gona mix the quart into the gallon. i took the gallon into shwerwin williams so they mixed it from the same code. i will be fine. NOW IT JUST HAS TO GET WARMER SO I CAN SPRAY GAHHHHH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76