Widest dooley tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Green79, thanks for the check on that tire size, yea that was just a miss-type on my part. Right now I have enough room for a good 2 or 3 fingers between the tires unloaded. Also, in the below picture you can see I have what I believe is called a torque plate on there, but it is backwards, so the cones point out, not in (where they would engage the wheel). I believe this is because of the aftermarket outer wheels. With this in mind, the second picture shows how many threads are showing even with that goofy setup (came that way, dont blame me). Bearing ALL of that in mind, if I remove the goofy torque plate and run lugs like the ones in the third picture, I should have plenty of thread engagement with a 1/4 or 1/2 spacer. I'm going to go get one or two of those lugs at advance today and see if they will even work, then get the spacers and see if I still have enough thread engagement and also how much room I have.

Keep in mind I rarely load this truck down with much weight, and I plan to install load leveling air bags before I do anyway which should help with fender rub.

Showing the goofy backwards torque plate:
You must be registered for see images attach

Showing current thread engagement with the longest studs I could get (brand new when I did the brakes):

Finally, the lugs I'm gonna try (from Advance) both to get more thread engagement as well as to help center the outer aftermarket wheels:
You must be registered for see images

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That lug plate is actually on the correct way. Those lugs pictured are for the old style aftermarket mag wheels, the centers are thick and have large holes to accommodate the lugs. I don't think it will work without slightly drilling out the wheels and your spacer, but it's an interesting idea that might work very well.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Really? So the plate is meant to be like that? Hmm... Doesnt make much sense to me but ok. The current lug nuts are conical, and so is the plate. If you look you can see that the two cones face each other, which makes no sense to me. Isnt the nut supposed to seat into the plate?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They are bumped out towards the lug seat, but the holes still have a taper in them for the lugs. You want the flat side facing the wheels. I'm not sure the reasoning for it, probably just to evenly distribute the load and help maintain proper torque.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Hmm.. Ok so I guess I wont be able to get any lug room there then... Damn. Well I'm gonna buy a set of spacers and try them, see if I can still get the lugs on. If not I'll just go with the 235s. Oh well.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Maybe run without the plates? Just let the tapered seat lugs make there own seat (it would be minor) in the wheel? Shouldn't cause any damage that couldn't be easily fixed, and you could try it out before buying tires.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The section width for the BFG Rugged Terrain...
235/85 - 9.3"
265/75 - 10.2"

Being as you are only going to see half of that width difference per tire, if you have more than an inch between the tires now, you more than likely can run your desired 265's with no spacers. I am with bucket, try and see what happens!

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Okay I have made my decision. If you have been watching, I started a thread a while ago in the brake/steering section where I have been experimenting with a disc brake swap. In order to make that work I will need to do some crazy stuff, including changing out the lug studs. I plan to use the 4" metric studs and captured-washer nuts from a 2003 Express Van. This should give me plenty of space for 265s with a spacer if needed. I'll post up when I get more info/pics of everything installed.

Thanks for all the help folks. This is my first dually (actually my first truck) so the help has been much appreciated!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84