Why does my fuel tank look different to everyone else's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Challis350

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Hi all

Removed the p/s fuel tank on my '85 Square over the weekend. I've never been able to pump from it using the switch in the cab and the fuel sender isn't grounded so shows a silly fuel reading.

I decided to remove it over the weekend. I always thought the box shape of the tank was because it was in some sort of protector, but it looks like the tank is just that shape. It looks nothing like the tank on the d/s.

1) Is this an aftermarket tank?
2) Presumably I can just purchase the normal 20 gallon tank and fit that instead?
3) is the lack of pumping likely to just be a faulty switch?

Cheers!

Attachments

• truck tank.jpg
    truck tank.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 111

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
someone hand made that BS.... looks like the ones they used to sell for the 60's ones to get the tank out of the cab. I would just buy a new one to replace it, they aren't very expensive and you can usually get them at the local parts store if nothing else. I have a good condition 20 gallon driver and passenger side ones and brackets if you make it down through Oregon at some point. They are taking up space and about to get sent to scrap

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You'll be able to replace it. Just need the corresponding parts. Straps and frame mounts, sending unit and lock ring. Depends what's going on with the fuel lines as well.

Challis350

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
someone hand made that BS.... looks like the ones they used to sell for the 60's ones to get the tank out of the cab. I would just buy a new one to replace it, they aren't very expensive and you can usually get them at the local parts store if nothing else. I have a good condition 20 gallon driver and passenger side ones and brackets if you make it down through Oregon at some point. They are taking up space and about to get sent to scrap
Don't suppose you're at the Seahawks game this weekend? I'll take it off you there!

Thanks for the offer though.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Finding the brackets may be the only challenge. Everything else from new straps, sender, tank and fill/vent hoses are off the shelf. Although I had issue getting the right fill hoses for the same truck as yours. Never pursued it and used the old ones.
Plenty of junker squares around and tank brackets don’t seem to be a high demand kind of part so those shouldn’t be horrible to find.
Tanks are only a little over $100 so unless you find a verified good one that isn’t rusted inside or out for very cheap, I’d just get a new one.
I’m talking uSd though. Idk what the stuff will cost you up there.
But I’d imagine you have a workaround for that like many folks who live near the border do.

Challis350

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I went through the process of sourcing parts for the d/s tank last September. You're absolutely right - finding brackets that weren't rusted through to actually fit the damn thing to the frame was hard. Ended up having to drive 2 hours out of town.

Those plastic protective covers do more harm than good when it comes to rust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod