Which way do the valve cover hold downs go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am replacing the old hard cork gaskets that have been leaking years. I have done the driver side , which was the hard side due to the AC and brackets. But I didn't pay attention and I believe that some may have been on wrong anyway. I have the chrome, probably Mr Gasket brand spreader bars and the long chrome whing nut things that only them down. The question is what way to the bars go. They have little up turned ends on them do those go down against the cover or up? I did the first side facing up as it gave a longer flat side to clamp, but I started thinking maybe the upturned edges go down as that would give outer points of contact that would be a little wider placement? Valve covers usually only have points of pressure anyway and use the rigidity of the flange to make even pressure. The picture of the brownish Ones in the picture basically look like what I have. The upturned edges up or down toward the valve cover?

You must be registered for see images attach

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
All the cover bolt spreaders you have pictured are top side up. They bolt down just how they are pictured.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All the cover bolt spreaders you have pictured are top side up. They bolt down just how they are pictured.
Thanks that answered my question. That's how I have them mounted on the driver side I did.

I'm waiting on the passenger cover to soak so I can finish cleaning it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76