Which Holley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
I'm sure it has been beat to death, but I have a 5.7l crate gm motor in my 86. I currently have a Edlebrock 1406. Never been a huge fan, it was just cheaper so I went with it when I put the V8 in my truck. I have some extra money, and would like to purchase a Holley. All my "mentors" have had Holley and used them in the past, but they all have had them on bigger motors. 650 cfm vacuum secondary? 600cfm vacuum secondary?. Truck is bone stock besides an Edlebrock intake on it and headers.

Fire away!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A basic 600-750 carb (vac secondary) will work fine, just depends on how easily you want it to be repaired/tuned and if you want electric choke. I personally prefer the dual inlet carbs (not to be confused with a double pumper) because of the center-hung float bowls and I like having the quick-change secondary spring kit also. The Street Avenger 670 is a good all-around carb that is easy to tune, but it's also one of the more spendy models.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Regarding the Edelbrock 1406, there are tens of thousands of them working very well on stock-to-mild small blocks. And they are very easy to tune using the detailed owners manual.

However, if you are dead set on using a Holley, it's pretty hard to beat the basic #0-80457 600 cfm carb with Electric choke.

The #0-1850 is essentially the same carb with manual choke.

For more money, there's the #0-83570 570 cfm Street Avenger carb. It has some cool features that the carbs above don't have, such as 4-corner idle, fuel level sight glasses, and easy to change secondary springs. Being a member of the 4150 family, it also has a secondary metering block with changeable jets.

BTW, the suffix letter indicates which metal the body is made of.
"SA" is aluminum and is the best way to go, IMO.
"C" is the old school "greenish gold" color (zinc wash?).
"S" means "shiny", and although it looks like aluminum when new, it will eventually turn dull gray.

You can find some of the above carbs on Holley's eBay site. They are called "re-furbs" but are like new.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
About the fuel sight glasses, just go ahead and throw those in the trash can. Every time I've used them, they just crumble and little bits fall down into the bowls. I know they are just for tuning purposes, but I had a pair of them crumble that had never even been used before.

Also, the lower line 600 cfm carb doesn't have adjustable floats. Doesn't usually cause a problem, but I don't care much for that part of it.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
went with a Holley 600 cfm. thanks guys

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
I know many of folks use the 1406 Ed's but I must say, I hooked the Holley up and it has been like night and day difference. No tuning needed or anything. I had gotten pretty good at tuning the old 1406, and it just was never pleased with it.

I am not writing off operator error, but I am very please with the Holley.

I am gonna get help from a friend and rebuild this 1406. Is there much market for a used one? It has been used about 3 years.