Where to buy tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I agree completely with all this... except the stinker of a tire in question was the Wilderness A/T. I personally had no gripes with that tire... I think the 26 psi was 100% the issue, but there were indeed other minor factors.
I just looked it up according to wikipedia:

"On August 9, 2000 Firestone recalled all ATX and ATX II tires and all Wilderness AT tires manufactured in Decatur."

I do remember the Decatur thing now, but I also remember that if someone came in with one of those tires manufactured in another plant we'd still change them out free off charge if they wanted. And what were we putting on you might ask, we were installing Cooper Discover AST. Not the best cooper out there, but similar enough to the Wilderness and ATX I suppose.

My Dad had a Ford Ranger with I think the ATX's on it, which were pretty well worn out anyway when the recall started. BTW Rangers never had the blow out issues and never rolled over because of these tires, I strongly suspect that's because of the higher tire pressures. Anyhow it took some work from me to gather up 4 Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts in the right size but I managed to get them transferred in and put those on hi truck, so he got himself a nice upgrade for free.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just looked it up according to wikipedia:

"On August 9, 2000 Firestone recalled all ATX and ATX II tires and all Wilderness AT tires manufactured in Decatur."

I do remember the Decatur thing now, but I also remember that if someone came in with one of those tires manufactured in another plant we'd still change them out free off charge if they wanted. And what were we putting on you might ask, we were installing Cooper Discover AST. Not the best cooper out there, but similar enough to the Wilderness and ATX I suppose.

My Dad had a Ford Ranger with I think the ATX's on it, which were pretty well worn out anyway when the recall started. BTW Rangers never had the blow out issues and never rolled over because of these tires, I strongly suspect that's because of the higher tire pressures. Anyhow it took some work from me to gather up 4 Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts in the right size but I managed to get them transferred in and put those on hi truck, so he got himself a nice upgrade for free.

I'd guess it was different scenarios in different regions. Maybe all the Explorers sold in the Ohio region were originally equipped with the Wilderness A/T's made in Decatur? And most all Wilderness A/T's sold in my area were also made in Decatur? Because from what I can remember, they ALL got replaced around here for free.

I don't even remember anything about an ATX model, they must not have been as common in the area.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'd guess it was different scenarios in different regions. Maybe all the Explorers sold in the Ohio region were originally equipped with the Wilderness A/T's made in Decatur? And most all Wilderness A/T's sold in my area were also made in Decatur? Because from what I can remember, they ALL got replaced around here for free.

I don't even remember anything about an ATX model, they must not have been as common in the area.
IIRC, and I'm attaching this that was 23 years ago and to me it seems so long ago..... The ATX was less common here too. To the best of my memory we were allowed to replace any and all Wilderness A/T's and ATX's, but we were not required to replace ones made at other plants, but we were allowed too. But... Maybe I'm misremembering. I know we had to check the DOT #'s for origin, perhaps we were just keeping track of what we replaced from where.

Andy, You seem to remember this as well or maybe better than I do did you work for Firestone at the time?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Mom and Pop's 2004 Explorer had the recalled tires. A couple of years ago Pop asked me about a good AT tire to get, and I directed him to the General AT2. Even though they have not had Firestones on their rig for a couple decades, when Pop went to rent a U-Haul trailer they wouldn't let him get it because of the tire recall. He needed the trailer to get his deceased brother's items back over here. He had to get creative to get the trailer, but towed it with the Explorer. He encountered a lot of snow coming out of AZ, and he said those Generals did excellent.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Mom and Pop's 2004 Explorer had the recalled tires. A couple of years ago Pop asked me about a good AT tire to get, and I directed him to the General AT2. Even though they have not had Firestones on their rig for a couple decades, when Pop went to rent a U-Haul trailer they wouldn't let him get it because of the tire recall. He needed the trailer to get his deceased brother's items back over here. He had to get creative to get the trailer, but towed it with the Explorer. He encountered a lot of snow coming out of AZ, and he said those Generals did excellent.
Yea, you probably know I'm in love with the General AT2, I've got them on all my rigs but the Jeep and that's just because I got such a good one time deal on the Wildpeaks on the Jeep. They are ok, but I'll go back to the general when the time comes. I agree they do really well in snow and ice.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Grabbers FTW!
You must be registered for see images attach

In my case best place to buy tires is Oregon. 10% discount for WA residents! Lol

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Grabbers FTW!
You must be registered for see images attach

In my case best place to buy tires is Oregon. 10% discount for WA residents! Lol
Are those 17s? Not a big fan of bigger wheels but those look sharp with the stock hub caps.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
IIRC, and I'm attaching this that was 23 years ago and to me it seems so long ago..... The ATX was less common here too. To the best of my memory we were allowed to replace any and all Wilderness A/T's and ATX's, but we were not required to replace ones made at other plants, but we were allowed too. But... Maybe I'm misremembering. I know we had to check the DOT #'s for origin, perhaps we were just keeping track of what we replaced from where.

Andy, You seem to remember this as well or maybe better than I do did you work for Firestone at the time?

Nope, at the time I was working at a garage that did a lot of tire replacements and my future brother in law was working at a small town Ford dealer at around the same time. The Wilderness A/T tire was incredibly common for me.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Nope, at the time I was working at a garage that did a lot of tire replacements and my future brother in law was working at a small town Ford dealer at around the same time. The Wilderness A/T tire was incredibly common for me.
That makes sense!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Keeping the 16.5s is even more fruitless than keeping 17s on any newer truck. (Although a couple mfgs are making heavier load rated 17s again recently).
Wait what.... 17's aren't readily available?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wait what.... 17's aren't readily available?
They are. But for the last 10? years or so, no one has offered LT 17” tires rated higher than 3195lbs/121 load index.
Just recently there are a few higher load range offerings again.
Idk why that happened and it’s probably fine for most anyone with an old truck. Not too many plopping over 4000lbs in the back of a square body.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
They are. But for the last 10? years or so, no one has offered LT 17” tires rated higher than 3195lbs/121 load index.
Just recently there are a few higher load range offerings again.
Idk why that happened and it’s probably fine for most anyone with an old truck. Not too many plopping over 4000lbs in the back of a square body.
The 121 load index (load range E) is plenty heavy for a 3/4 ton pickup. I sell tires and have never seen anything heavier (load range F or G) on anything up to a 1 ton. If more load capacity is needed, that is what dual rear wheels are for and every 1 ton dually I have ever seen comes with load range E (10 ply equivalent) tires. Heck, my '78 P30 motorhome originally came with 7.50-16's in 8 ply (load range D). Not sure why you would need something with a load range more than E on a pickup?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The 121 load index (load range E) is plenty heavy for a 3/4 ton pickup. I sell tires and have never seen anything heavier (load range F or G) on anything up to a 1 ton. If more load capacity is needed, that is what dual rear wheels are for and every 1 ton dually I have ever seen comes with load range E (10 ply equivalent) tires. Heck, my '78 P30 motorhome originally came with 7.50-16's in 8 ply (load range D). Not sure why you would need something with a load range more than E on a pickup?

Uh, more durabilitier, duh.
:rofl:

Seriously though, I believe it's always best to go a little more on the heavy duty side than what's actually needed. A lighter loaded tire will be a happier tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey