Where do these wires go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
I am not getting any voltage out of the pictured alternator which is on my Massey 135 diesel tractor.
Took it to Advance where I purchased it and it tested good. The test equipment had a plug that went in where the red and white wires are pictured. The top green wire is grounded and the bottom one goes to the battery. When I put the positive lead on the meter on the post at the bottom after disconnecting the wire to the battery and ground the ground meter lead I get .3 volts.

Where do the red and white leads connect to get the alternator to operate properly?

You must be registered for see images attach

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
god i truly hate wiring. with all of my heart. sorry, i'd help if i could

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
If you got this far, go do a lookup on a Massey 135 diesel tractor wiring diagram! My guess is Key on, and a relay which will allow the starter to function if all the safety measures are met.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

Does your tractor have an ammeter?

Danderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Terminal 1 (white wire in your picture) goes to a 12 volt source controlled by the ignition switch, usually through the charging system warning light or gauge. Terminal 2 (red in your picture) goes to an always-on 12 volt source, usually the battery connection at the starter solenoid or directly to the positive terminal of the battery.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
If you got this far, go do a lookup on a Massey 135 diesel tractor wiring diagram! My guess is Key on, and a relay which will allow the starter to function if all the safety measures are met.
There is zero of the original wiring left nor is there an ignition switch. Push button start.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size

Does your tractor have an ammeter?

No ignition switch. One wire from alternator to battery, wire from battery to one side of push button, other side to starter solenoid. 1 wire from input side of push button to ammeter, then to fuel guage.
Can I connect the red wire from the plug to the battery terminal on the alternator then the white wire to the battery positive terminal?

Danderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There is zero of the original wiring left nor is there an ignition switch. Push button start.

Then just run the red wire to the same terminal on the alternator where the battery is connected (marked BAT in your picture) and the white wire to something that has 12 volts only when the engine is running. Technically, you can run the white wire to any positive 12 volt source (like the battery) and the alternator will work, but unless the 12 volts is shut off when the engine is not running it will drain the battery.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
Then just run the red wire to the same terminal on the alternator where the battery is connected (marked BAT in your picture) and the white wire to something that has 12 volts only when the engine is running. Technically, you can run the white wire to any positive 12 volt source (like the battery) and the alternator will work, but unless the 12 volts is shut off when the engine is not running it will drain the battery.
Then running the white wire to a toggle switch will work.

Thanks all for your input!

Waylon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Waylon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
If you have an oil pressure switch, that’s a good place to get 12v switched signal that will shut off once the engine is no longer running. I did that on a John Deere 4020 for my uncle years ago. A toggle switch will work but you have to remember to turn it off.

Another thing to think about is your regulator inside the alternator. Since you have a diesel tractor, you probably need to install a low rpm regulator so it will start charging at a lower rpm.
I’m assuming that’s a 10SI Delco meant for an automobile?

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
Hooked it all up today. Toggle switch works great. Charging starts @ just over 500 rpm. Continues to charge @ 13.7 volts after I turn off the toggle switch. Once I stop the motor ammeter drops to 0.
Thanks again all!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rotti_rancher