Where do I get OEM battery cables?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JM in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I’m having a terrible time trying to find “original” battery cables for my 1987 V1500 with the original 350 engine.

I need the negative ground cable, but would love to find both. To be clear, I don’t want the generic ACDelco cables that I have to splice into the existing body ground (or the alternator wire in case of the positive / solenoid cable). I’d prefer to find cables that have full-length accessory wires that can reach all the way to the body ground connection point behind the radiator (negative) or to the alternator (positive).

Does anyone have part numbers or a suggestion for how I can accomplish this?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is the goal to have 100% correct cables with part numbers and all? Or just cables that don't have butt connectors on the smaller wires?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Standard Motor products A602DA

You must be registered for see images attach

You will have to buy 2 positive cables and trim one to be the negative cable with new ends. NAPA sells the red and black terminal covers.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

none available for the battery positive at least from AC Delco catalog, but they have Oogles of aftermarket universal or multiple application ones they sell. I have an original if you really wanted . lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I’m having a terrible time trying to find “original” battery cables for my 1987 V1500 with the original 350 engine.

I need the negative ground cable, but would love to find both. To be clear, I don’t want the generic ACDelco cables that I have to splice into the existing body ground (or the alternator wire in case of the positive / solenoid cable). I’d prefer to find cables that have full-length accessory wires that can reach all the way to the body ground connection point behind the radiator (negative) or to the alternator (positive).

Does anyone have part numbers or a suggestion for how I can accomplish this?
I could be mistaken but im pretty sure your battery positive meets at the junction and the battery goes to the starter, no?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

JM in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Is the goal to have 100% correct cables with part numbers and all? Or just cables that don't have butt connectors on the smaller wires?
I’d happily settle for cables that just don’t have the butt connectors. Would like to have ACDelco parts like that, but seems to be impossible so far.

Thanks to everyone that responded. Looks like some good options for me to consider.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I’d happily settle for cables that just don’t have the butt connectors. Would like to have ACDelco parts like that, but seems to be impossible so far.

Thanks to everyone that responded. Looks like some good options for me to consider.
Do you want to retain the side post aspect of the cables? If you dont care about that or you would prefer top posts, you can expand your search significantly. Infact, If you want to avoid the crimp connection and have a side post, you can "expand" the post and create a single wire which runs end to end and it would look clean. GM sold expansion things for accessories which allow what I just mentioned.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ceautoelectricsupply.com

Best cables on the market and very fast shipping.

Tanked

Reaction score
First Name
denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
I'm looking for the diesel one that goes from positive to positive across the radiator does anybody have the numbers for that. I would greatly appreciate it. Sweating in Florida

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
Forget the OEM stuff. Use welding cable and heavy duty crimp connectors.

Hello Tanked! I hope all is well.
I would go with what Snoots suggested. It is very good cable and very flexible... carries very good high amps because of the many fine strands, has very good insulation properties on the rubber jacket instead of plastic jacket insulation, and also depends on the size of the cable you buy for your ampacity needs.

Another suggestion is look on ebay for marine cable they sell it by the foot. They have more variety of colors too. Highly flexible and high amp carrying capacity with very good insulation properties. You can find some very good connectors there too. If you do not have a larger crimper you can solder it with one of those propane torch tips with those small camping propane fuel tanks.
Maybe you might know this already, but remember the lower the number the thicker the cable the more amps it carries.

Be well and stay safe out there.
Best wishes to you and all of your loved ones always!

Dryriver1

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg