What's that sound??? Cracked Flywheel???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hobbz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Background:
305 TBI 120k miles on the odo, I believe it is original to truck
Does not have the recirc valve in the exhaust
Sounds lower in engine
Goes away after 5 or so minutes of running

I am planning on a new engine next winter but was planning on driving the summer on this one after all the body work was done... No huge deal if it is terminal for the engine, but...

Video of it running just after startup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOolNCJ8DM0

I am thinking bearing or flywheel cracked. What do you all think?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Usually a rattle that goes away after the engine is warmed up would be a piston slapping in the bore, this does sound like flex plate is cracked, it is an automatic transmission, right ??
Check the fan and pulleys for tight too.

Hobbz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Yeah, I said flywheel, mean flex plate. It is a 700r4 transmission. My buddy said it sounded like loose torque converter bolts. I youtubed it, and it sounds exactly like the others. I am going to pull the inspection cover this weekend and check them and see if I can see the flexplate.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Yeah, I said flywheel, mean flex plate. It is a 700r4 transmission. My buddy said it sounded like loose torque converter bolts. I youtubed it, and it sounds exactly like the others. I am going to pull the inspection cover this weekend and check them and see if I can see the flexplate.
This is exactly what it sounds like to me.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Also look at the starter when you have that inspection cover off. I had a starter "fall apart" near the gear and I think it was a thrust washer that would wander out and then get banged around by the flex plate. Made about the same noise. And then eventually the washer would get knocked aside and it would be quiet for awhile.

Hobbz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks everyone. I will update after I get a chance to work on it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm having a similar problem with my 454 and I'm about to determine its a broken flywheel. Do update us and let us know what you find out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Since we are on the subject of flywheels and torq converters, my truck makes a jingley sound as soon as the starter lets go and the engine fires up. Doesn't make the noise any other time. Truck turns over easily. Nothing negative has resulted from it. Any idea what I could be hearing?

Thx!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Since we are on the subject of flywheels and torq converters, my truck makes a jingley sound as soon as the starter lets go and the engine fires up. Doesn't make the noise any other time. Truck turns over easily. Nothing negative has resulted from it. Any idea what I could be hearing?

Thx!
Could be the starter solenoids slug is gummed up a bit and not immediately releasing when the ignition key is let off of.

Hobbz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Flexplate to TQ converter bolts are fine... Thats is the good news.

Flexplate to crank bolts are loose or flexplate is broke around those bolts. I can turn the TQ/flexplate back and forth about 1" without the crank moving...

Next question, without counting the current one, do I have a 168 or 153 tooth flywheel, or does it matter???

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Flexplate to TQ converter bolts are fine... Thats is the good news.

Flexplate to crank bolts are loose or flexplate is broke around those bolts. I can turn the TQ/flexplate back and forth about 1" without the crank moving...

Next question, without counting the current one, do I have a 168 or 153 tooth flywheel, or does it matter???

Where it's going to matter, is which starter you use. Whether you use the one with staggered mounting bolts, or bolts straight across from each other. So in relation to which starter you have it does matter for certain.

Hobbz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks. I am going to pull the trans as soon as I done with my rockers and cab corners. Local parts store carries both in Stock along with a new rear main seal so that will get changed too

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good job tracking down the problem

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That video will pretty much confirm for me, that's what's up with my 454 C20 too. I was pretty sure it was. I needed it anyway, it has about 5 teeth that are chewed up and every now and then, the starter lands there and misses engagement. Thanks for posting. :waytogo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76