Whats Gears Should i Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Ok guys so im in the process of building my 383 stroker roller motor for my 82. I also am gonna start rebuilding my rear end in college since its making noise(whining). The 2.73s just aren't cutting it anymore so I decided to go to a lower gear. I told my teacher I wanted to do 4.56 gears and he said oh no don't do that. Well the truck is gonna be a street and strip truck its currently my daily but it wont be for long. So I actually though about going with some 4.10s and maybe a mini spool so I don't have one tire burning down the strip. Its a 10 bolt. What you guys recommend for say 1/4 mile?

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
If your 383 build is full tilt and you get your set up to hook your 10 bolt wont be long for this world , imo.

If you are in it to win it with a bad boy motor and trans. I would find a 12 bolt and put your money into that and scrap the 10 bolt. If you just spin the tires everywhere your 10 bolt should last.

Gears depend on a lot of things , what tranny you have , tire size , cam profile and how often you will drive it down the hwy at 65/70 mph. 4.11,s are a pretty good set up for drag racing and ok on the hwy. if you have a 700r od trans. and a large tire in the back ,(like a 32" mickey ) but not so good on the hwy. with a non od trans. with a low prfile , (50 series) rear tire , maybe 3.73's would be more street friendly. It all depends on your motor and what you want to do.
As far as a spool they are totally do able on the street , but you will scrub off your tires , screech them when you turn into a parking space and a spool is not corner friendly. There is a lot of good posi"s that work well for drag racing that are street friendly too , thats the way I would go. I ran a moroso super brute with red springs in a 12 bolt and it worked great for both street and drag racing and there is a lot of others to choose from as well. You dont really need to go with a locker or a spool in a street machine unless your are just stuck on that.
Also ring and pinions are like chevy vs. ford everybody has there own opinion but I have had good luck with yukon gear and motive gear , (they are pretty much all made in china now) but some are better than others , (dont go cheapo) , I myself would not buy richmond , but thats just me.

Go get a 12 bolt you will be happier in the long run ,IMO

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
My buddy swears the 10 bolt will last but it does have me worrying. It wont be on the highway as much just a weekend cruiser and rice eater lol. im running a turbo 350 so no overdrive. My shop teacher told me a place to get my gears for 140 bucks that are guaranteed for life so it sounds like a deal. Id like to have a limited slip or air locker but its outta budget right now so I may just stick with a spool. My buddy has a 10 bolt on his 72 nova with 4.56s he has had no problems outta it. He welded more like molted the spider gears together and gets around pretty good I know it will chirp everytime I turn. Ive heard if 10 bolts are built right they will hold up. I do plan on doing a ls swap eventually though I was thinking 4.10 or 4.11 cause we do some 1/4 street racing around here. My buddy insist on me letting him weld my spider gears but Id rather have it where I could just remove the mini spool if needed. I just don't want no 1 tire fire or be spinning like a **** when I race.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
How serious is your 383, and what kind of teacher made this recommendation? Your 10 bolt may survive, but I would throw the stock carrier in the scrap pile first thing. Upgrade the carrier, a pair of axle shafts, and a cover with a built in carrier bearing girdle. Couple that with QUALITY gears and your 10 bolt will be about as strong as it's going to get.

The 12 bolt isn't much stronger, and don't fall for the Ford 9" is the best, that reputation is based on rare nodular iron third members. The 9"in common form isn't really an axle to live up to all of it's hype without big money aftermarket parts.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I run a 410 gear in my 92 c1500 with a 700r4 trans and 275/60/15 tires. It turns about 2500 rpms at 70 mph. I have Richman gears and an Eaton limited slip carrier. 10 bolt with 30 spline axles and the Trick Flow carrier support diff cover. It's held up for 8 yrs now with some pretty hard running. With the th350 trans you might want to consider the 373's.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I have 4.56 and I hate it! its not very bad with 37" tires but when I put the 31" tires on my truck I cant even drive the thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
630erik1