What to do...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Probably, but they can always get bent more significantly during shipping, a customer could have returned them after they dicked with them and then the store resold them, or any number of reasons. It's so easy to check them, may as well

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Another stupid work story from me. So this happened a while back, maybe 5ish years ago or so. I was in the shop waiting on a set of spark plugs to be delivered. The parts driver walks in the shop door, trips over the threshold and sends the set of spark plugs fly and they slam down on the concrete floor. He picks them up and hands them to me. I tell him I want another set, and he is like they are fine. Well I wasn't going to sign off on them until I at least looked at them. First box of 4, 3 of the contacts were bent down to the insulator. The parts driver is trying to convince me just to gap them and put them in. The second box of 4 all the plugs had broken insulators. Ok I was trying to be nice but at that point I refused them and sent him back to get a fresh set. In all my years I've received a few plugs with obvious issues, but it's kind of rare, certainly happens way less than once a year.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Probably, but they can always get bent more significantly during shipping, a customer could have returned them after they dicked with them and then the store resold them, or any number of reasons. It's so easy to check them, may as well

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I agree, I always gap them per specs. I am just saying these trucks as long as there is a gap and that Gap is not so tiny from a crushed tip or so bent open it's like 1/4" it probably doesn't much matter on a factory motor.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Another stupid work story from me. So this happened a while back, maybe 5ish years ago or so. I was in the shop waiting on a set of spark plugs to be delivered. The parts driver walks in the shop door, trips over the threshold and sends the set of spark plugs fly and they slam down on the concrete floor. He picks them up and hands them to me. I tell him I want another set, and he is like they are fine. Well I wasn't going to sign off on them until I at least looked at them. First box of 4, 3 of the contacts were bent down to the insulator. The parts driver is trying to convince me just to gap them and put them in. The second box of 4 all the plugs had broken insulators. Ok I was trying to be nice but at that point I refused them and sent him back to get a fresh set. In all my years I've received a few plugs with obvious issues, but it's kind of rare, certainly happens way less than once a year.
This was obviously plugs that didn't have the little cardboard tube that protected the tips.

Years ago I used to work at a parts store. I forget which ones had those protectors on them. I do know now a days I have junk the denso ones I buy have a protector on them but I can't think of others? As far as cracked insulators. They all will do that in their current packaging.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I never knew of this practice but i have seen plugs manufactured with an index stripe but never knew what it was.
Cause no normal engine benefits from indexed plugs. We're not drag racing 11:1 engines or running alcohol turning 8 grand. We're not trying to keep the tip from being washed by the fuel charge coming into the cylinder.

Good to know it exists and some theory, but even in a race or top performing engine it has small results. But where your at that level it's all those little things that add up to give you an edge over the next guy.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
This was obviously plugs that didn't have the little cardboard tube that protected the tips.

Years ago I used to work at a parts store. I forget which ones had those protectors on them. I do know now a days I have junk the denso ones I buy have a protector on them but I can't think of others? As far as cracked insulators. They all will do that in their current packaging.

No protectors. Now some of them come with a thick plastic tube instead of cardboard, those work pretty good to.

Cause no normal engine benefits from indexed plugs. We're not drag racing 11:1 engines or running alcohol turning 8 grand. We're not trying to keep the tip from being washed by the fuel charge coming into the cylinder.

Good to know it exists and some theory, but even in a race or top performing engine it has small results. But where your at that level it's all those little things that add up to give you an edge over the next guy.

I agree. I've played around with indexing and never been able to tell the difference.

It actually came with some paste. Will what came with it work okay too?

At the shop we never use anything other than the paste that comes in the box, it'll work just fine.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
It actually came with some paste. Will what came with it work okay too?

Yes. The Arctic Silver is just better.
These modules also need the electrical connection to ground through the bottom (or mounting screws) to the dizzy. Silver lowers the resistance for that connection which reduces heat.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

OK.
Let's agree to disagree.
I've found that it in fact does improve combustion just by looking at the combustion chambers and tops of pistons between engines that had indexed plugs and those that did not.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
OK.
Let's agree to disagree.
I've found that it in fact does improve combustion just by looking at the combustion chambers and tops of pistons between engines that had indexed plugs and those that did not.
Ok so maybe pistons and or plugs read better, meaning it looked like better or more complete combustion occured with plugs indexed correctly. But did those results equate to more HP (what gains are you realistically talking), better seat of the pants feel, increased mileage? If the patterns on pistons and the plug look better I can't argue that it would not have some positive effect. But the point I am making is that in a stock motor esp on that is of unknown age and wear, would you see any real benefit out of it in terms of identifiable performance?

If you feel it is a positive thing or anyone else does I will never stop you or try to convince you other wise. I personally feel in my engines it's not really worth any more time or trying to find the right plug to fit into the cylinder to index because I don't feel any real world gains to me. That's all. I am fine with disagreeing though.

And the problem with the internet arises (can't see or hear my expression). I'm not trying to prove you wrong or come across as my opinion is the only one that matters. Really doesn't bother me and I am not trying to be argumentative or anything just expressing my opinion .

Last edited:

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
My 2 cents... I agree with both of you! In a racing type environment, where everything matters, I would index. Those guys remove and "read" spark plugs after every run. In a daily driver I check the plug gap and install. Kind of like balancing an engine when rebuilding. To the OP, remove the spark plugs and verify the gap, torque to specification, and drive on!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
My 2 cents... I agree with both of you! In a racing type environment, where everything matters, I would index. Those guys remove and "read" spark plugs after every run. In a daily driver I check the plug gap and install. Kind of like balancing an engine when rebuilding. To the OP, remove the spark plugs and verify the gap, torque to specification, and drive on!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I think I just broke the Matrix..]
Okay update here: I was driving to work this morning and let it warm up a while. The first time I stopped at a light it stumbled upon accelerating and had almost no power. Did it at every light after that. This problem seems to be worsened by the cold. Now I’m not so sure it’s the ignition module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128