What to do...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good work!! Keep in mind that Rock Auto has great prices and often times much better quality/brands than you find local. It sounds like you bought them at a local store. Sometimes local especially if you buy online and use an online coupon code (advance Auto always has 20% off ones) is cheaper, but usually Rock Auto is WAY cheaper and delivered to your door cheaper than local parts stores.

The last brake job I did on the wife's Sequoia, I had the quality Raybestos truck duty pads and Raybestos rotors shipped to my door from Rock Auto for the same price or less than the price of two white box rotors at Advance auto local. Sure you have to plan ahead but I usually do.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks for the write up! Means a lot that you took the time to do all that. I went to the auto parts store today and got myself and MSD Cap and rotor set, some accel spark plug wires, ACDELCO plugs, and an ignition module. I have a few questions though.

The spark plug wire set was supposed to be the right one for a gm v8, but some of the spark plug wire lengths didn’t match up very well, I’ve got maybe two wires that are too long. Not a huge deal but I want to make sure this is the right set. It also had a left over wire that has two black ends rather than a black and red. I installed the plugs and new wires and it ran just fine, but I want to make sure I’m not missing something.

I also am wondering about my plugs because they are a different number than what I had. The actual white part was either longer or shorter I can’t remember but the threads looked the same. I will attach a pic of the old plugs and the new. The old ones were autolites and said #26. The new ones are ACDelco #4R44T. I think the computer said they had .035 gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed writing the write up!

The AC Delco plugs you installed are correct, the Autolites who knows. Keep in mind different manufactures use different part number. Autolites are generally regarded cheap low quality plugs. All of the parts you bought were of good quality, though I think sometimes MSD can be a little more costly, than other good brands though.

As for the ignition wires, that happens all the time. Use to have issues with them occasionally having a wire to short, but I think manufactures have realized that won't fly. Do not worry about the extra length just make sure you have them in such a way that they won't rub through or get on to the exhaust manifold.

From what I can see of the truck it looks like a nice rig, and it's the same color as mine!

Please let us know if this fixes your runability issues.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I enjoyed writing the write up!

The AC Delco plugs you installed are correct, the Autolites who knows. Keep in mind different manufactures use different part number. Autolites are generally regarded cheap low quality plugs. All of the parts you bought were of good quality, though I think sometimes MSD can be a little more costly, than other good brands though.

As for the ignition wires, that happens all the time. Use to have issues with them occasionally having a wire to short, but I think manufactures have realized that won't fly. Do not worry about the extra length just make sure you have them in such a way that they won't rub through or get on to the exhaust manifold.

From what I can see of the truck it looks like a nice rig, and it's the same color as mine!

Please let us know if this fixes your runability issues.
I will! Can you send pics of your truck? I haven't seen many in this color with the two tone. I'm pretty sure its called buckskin.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Probably goes without saying, but make sure you adjust the gap on all the plugs

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size

I wish I did a little more research before changing my plugs, but I didn't do any gapping before I installed them. I just assumed the .035 gap they came with was fine. What I didn't realize is I should've checked to make sure they were all in fact the correct gap and that they can vary in shipping. I suppose I can always gap them later, but for now I'm going to leave it how it is. After I solve my running problem I'll probably come back to it.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Bad grounds and vacuum leaks can drive a person to drinking. They can be a pain in the arse. Fix them and all is well. Your vehicle will perform much better.

X2, X2!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I wish I did a little more research before changing my plugs, but I didn't do any gapping before I installed them. I just assumed the .035 gap they came with was fine. What I didn't realize is I should've checked to make sure they were all in fact the correct gap and that they can vary in shipping. I suppose I can always gap them later, but for now I'm going to leave it how it is. After I solve my running problem I'll probably come back to it.

Naughty, naughty!
Points driven = .35 gap
HEI driven = .45 gap

ALWAYS check the gap. NEVER trust them out of the box.

Good choice on the cap. ANY cap with brass connectors is better than the others.

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Now I’m gonna wondering if this is a ground issue. This could be related to multiple things. This could maybe be related to why my gas gauge worked intermittently a while ago, and also maybe why the temp gauge doesn’t work. I’ve always had weird electrical issues like that. How can I check all my grounds to make sure they are good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look above the parking brake pedal. There is a ground junction screwed to the body. Take it off, clean everything, use a dab of copper anti-seize and put it back on. That's the grounds for your dash and a lot of other things.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Look above the parking brake pedal. There is a ground junction screwed to the body. Take it off, clean everything, use a dab of copper anti-seize and put it back on. That's the grounds for your dash and a lot of other things.

Ha! That could be causing a lot of my electrical problems. My dash lights don't work, gauges and now my brake lights just quit on me. All running and headlights work along with blinkers. Just no brake.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Look for this . . .

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I do this religiously, but for these trucks in worn factory condition u really don't think you would see a difference if they were .025-.05

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
I do this religiously, but for these trucks in worn factory condition u really don't think you would see a difference if they were .025-.05
Probably, but they can always get bent more significantly during shipping, a customer could have returned them after they dicked with them and then the store resold them, or any number of reasons. It's so easy to check them, may as well

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

With standard resistor plugs like these trucks take I always gap them but... For newer cars with platinum and iridium tipped plugs those are not supposed to be gaped because the tip is so delicate that they can be damaged during the gaping process. I've also known mechanics that never gaped plugs at all. Is it best to gap them, I believe the answer is yes, is a crime to not have gaped them, no. Honestly I think you'll be just fine.

I will! Can you send pics of your truck? I haven't seen many in this color with the two tone. I'm pretty sure its called buckskin.

My bad, I did not realize you have a white roof. My truck is tan from top to bottom no two tone for me. I'm also not very good about taking pictures, and I'm at work right now. There is one pretty good picture of my truck here https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/a-little-about-my-truck.27828/ It's about half way down the page and the only picture on the page. It's not the best looking paint wise, and there is some trim missing, but it is surprisingly rust free or pretty close to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave