What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
@89Suburban yes that is a harbor freight tire changer someone threw out. The arm is hitch mounted bicycle carrier,the slide is 2 pieces of square tubing welded together,the duck bill mount is a cheap dumbell center welded to a piece of plate. If I were to do it again I'd just use 2 uclamps and clamp the dumbell to the arm . It works great

I'll have to keep that in mind for a tinkering project.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'll have to keep that in mind for a tinkering project.
Before and after shot,whole project couldn't have taken 30 minutes. FWIW I'm taking that pin out and drilling and slotting the base,like a harmonic balancer puller. That way I can use lugs to hold the wheels centered,and can do aluminum rims with no marring of the centers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-26_105537.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-26_105537.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2023-05-26_105544.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-26_105544.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 35

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Before and after shot,whole project couldn't have taken 30 minutes. FWIW I'm taking that pin out and drilling and slotting the base,like a harmonic balancer puller. That way I can use lugs to hold the wheels centered,and can do aluminum rims with no marring of the centers.

And I assume you just stick the pry bar in that hitch part and drag it around? Works good for both the beads?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
And I assume you just stick the pry bar in that hitch part and drag it around? Works good for both the beads?
Works like a champ. I've put a bar in the tube,it works,but seems like an awful lot of leverage on the down bar to the duck head. I just use a bar across the center post like normal,the other side of the bar resting on the Plate just above the duck head.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Works like a champ. I've put a bar in the tine,it works,but seems like an awful lot of leverage on the down bar to the duck head. I just use a bar across the center post like normal,the other side of the bar resting on the Plat just above the duck head.

Gotchya, good stuff. The duck head on the pry bar that comes with the kit blows.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
love gear wrench. Think I have 2 sets of sae/metric wratchet.

I’ve been really looking at long flex head Gearwrench sets (sae /metric) but just haven’t had the guts to pull the trigger, •I think• I’d like the ratcheting wrenches.

I’m not a pro mechanic but I am spoiled by my Snap On stuff, is the quality close? Do you have flex heads? If so, do you like them?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I’ve been really looking at long flex head Gearwrench sets (sae /metric) but just haven’t had the guts to pull the trigger, I think I’d like the ratcheting wrenches.

I’m not a pro mechanic but I am spoiled by my Snap On stuff, is the quality close? Do you have flex heads? If so, do you like them?
I've had flex heads....and no i don't like them. If your doing little stuff it's fine. But if you get into something that requires a lot of muscle.....expect busted knuckles at times. Just my opinion.

I had some in my tool box, a neighbors kid helped me getting the hood back on and I gladly gave them to him in trade. I did warn him though lol.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
You must be registered for see images attach
One of my clients recently gave me his set of Snapon line wrenches that he's had since the 70s. Said "here, you'll use them more than i have"
Thought that was super cool. Nice guy.

Also gave me a mini pipe cutter, which ive been needing, and he happened to have 3 in his truck.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
, •I think• I’d like the ratcheting wrenches.

I had somebody give me a set of metric ratchet wrenches about 5 years ago. Once I used them I immediately invested in a set of SAE. They now have a dedicated go to drawer in the top section of the tool chest. All my standard wrenches got moved to the lower chest. Only time I go for them now is if I need a 2nd wrench of the same size or a larger wrench than I have in ratcheting. Or in high torque situations.

Needless to say I love my ratchet wrenches. 80% of the time they are my go to.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I had had enough of fighting with one of those serpentine belt tensioners and bought from HF one of their tools to (supposedly) make replacing a belt a LOT easier. I hope it was $16 well spent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii