What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I started lookin at those pictures because I expected to see the intake manifold. But wtf?

Also, I am not 100% sure but they Mayhew chisels and punches are identical to Snap On, they most likely are their manufacture for these items.

“Williams” makes the Snap On hard handle screwdrivers and maybe some of the wrenches.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I deal with roll pins on a daily basis, for years I never thought twice about just hammering away, smacking my fingers, not being able to get a good swing due to my hands in the way, I can deal with tightening it occasionally. A customer even looked at mine and made a comment how I was prepared.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Got a few new things today...
Rebuilding a rear axle for a client, needed a new bearing puller.
Engine stand was on sale, $79 for a 1000lb.
Always need one of those especially since i own 3, but 2 my friend borrowed and never brought back. Sitting in his garage with engines on them for like 2 years hasnt been touched. Had to borrow another friend's stand, and hes like "don't you have 3 of these?" Not anymore sadly
The cheapo grinder and the 4 pack of straps were free. Every 39.99 you spend you get a free tool, and i made 2 expensive trips today, haha.
You must be registered for see images attach

Recently got a new to me Stihl AV028 wood boss. Boss said "its junk, doest run, you can have it". New plug, cleaned the whole thing, fresh gas, and some tinkering, runs like a champ. Score.

And a while back now a client gave me his old Snap on line wrench set hes had forever. Told me "you'll use them more than i ever have".

Last edited:

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
This is new:

Cutting the filters on the tractors and truck engines is worth the effort, in the long run.
This comes put together backwards. Had to pull the bolts on the cutter wheels and the screw block and reverse them end to end. 10 minutes and fixed. All the bad reviews are from people too simple to pull 4 machine bolts.
The carftsmanship is outstanding for $39.00 on AZ. Worth every penney.

The 028 is a great saw!
One at my house, got a new carb and the oil leak fixed and it runs great too.

Some guys on the chainsaw forums say to run the oil to fuel ratio a bit rich and tune it for the extra lube.

Good score!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I grew up on an avs028. It still screams today. I believe I posted my ms290 In this thread

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
It not a new tool, just made an older one better. One of my daughters got me some wheels for my welding cart for Fathers Day put them on this morning be for it got hot. It rolls so much better now....

Attachments

• 20230625_080459.jpg
    20230625_080459.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230625_083949.jpg
    20230625_083949.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230625_083957.jpg
    20230625_083957.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 36

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Is that aluminum oxide? I've not used that, yet. Glass beads, soda and walnut shells. What I see in your pix is usually par for the course. I can never get a steady flow either and I'm using 90 psi with gravity feed.
It's slag

KCKKen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
I've collected a huge collection of Ryobi 18-volt cordless stuff over the years, and have had good luck with them, especially after upgrading to the Lithium Ion batteries. However, I wanted to get a cordless grinder, and one trip to Home Depot (and no service at all) soured me to their offering.

However, I did pick up a 24-volt Kobalt string trimmer, and then picked up a leaf blower and small chain saw (does all the work I'll ever need) so I looked at their grinder -- added that to the collection. As I was disassembling the rear springs on the C20 it really shined. With a thin wheel on it I was able to even cut the broken leaf itself out of the way, and in the areas I could get it the results were great.
(sorry about the picture quality, was still under the truck at the time and I was focusing on the disassembled leaf spring)

Once I get the trucks up and running I will start on a race car project, and I feel this will get a lot of work!

Take Care,
Ken Snyder
In KCK

Attachments

• kobalt-grinder.jpg
    kobalt-grinder.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 36

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
We had a guy use the very expensive 18V Milwaukee grinder, with the blue overlap sanding disks for simply re-sharpening the New Holland Swathe cutter blades and it did not last a month before it burned up. Do yourself a favor and stick with power corded grinders.

Run a cocktail of 90 weight gear oil and lithium grease in the gear boxes of all my grinders.

You might need to use sealant or cut your own thin paper gasket on the cheaper units, so the 90 weight don't leak out. The better quality $$$ grinders will have an o-ring seal.

The battery grinder, for my purposes is a very poor investment. YMMV

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
We had a guy use the very expensive 18V Miwakee grinder, with the blue overlap sanding disks for simply re-sharpening the New Holland Swather cutters and it did not last a month before it burned up. Do yourself a favor and stick with power corded grinders.

Run a cocktail of 90 weight gear oil and lithium grease in the gear boxes of all my grinders.

You might need to use sealant or cut your own thin paper gasket on the cheaper units, so the 90 weight don't leak out. The better quality $$$ grinders will have an o-ring seal.

The battery grinder, for my purposes is a very poor investment. YMMV
I bought a Bauer brand Battery grinder. It works fine.
I mean not as good as a cord type, but its great if you just don't feel like pulling a cord, or out on the field fixing fences or whatever.
The reason i got it it, was for just bringing to the junkyard to cut that stubborn bolt or various patch panels. Beats toating a generator.

My dad loves the thing, he uses it way more than me.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
The load at RPM and the torque variation under stress, is no where near what a screw gun, drill or ratchet gun is designed to do. High RPM dogs the batteries. = Fail.

If you are shaping glass or guitar bodies, I can definitely see how it's handy.
Or like you mentioned, the occasional rusty bolt cut at the bone yard.

The 4-1/2"-5" 18v 2089-20 in my shop cost $170.00 without batteries or a charger.
Smoke pours out of it, when you grab the trigger, after grinding cutter teeth for a month in the field.

It was never used for drill stem or drill casing. It sat on the shelf because it is not welder certified. Imagine your wife, wearing her 1/2 carat diamond, while washing dishes every day at the Hospital Cafeteria... Sure, she could do it...

Most new welders, drop the running corded units without slowing the wheel into some scrap or wood and the running wheel eats the cord. So, people think eliminating the cord is the solution, rather than being extremely alert and very precise while grinding. This is flawed thinking, period.

Milwaukee is selling a battery 7" grinder now. It looks great on the shelf at the store.
...and there it will sit.

The physics of inertia and the heat generated on the armature under load does not add up, in my scientific mind. Not when I want 8000 RPM on demand in 75-90 degree weather.
(Why do BATTERY powered electric vehicles burn up ??? It can't be the heat... nah... spontaneous combustion is a myth.)

Course, I went without a cell phone for 3 years and none of my tools or flashlights are rechargeable.

(***Edited so my comments don't offend the Cobalt Mining consortium, on this forum...)

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have a Metabo cordless grinder I beat the hell out of it kicks azz. Cutting, grinding, flap disc, and concrete grinding as well. It keeps begging for more. I gave my corded ones away and don't miss them one bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag