What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yeah, because Mercedes never breaks down! Why does Snap-On give a lifetime warranty if their stuff is so good, and never slips or breaks?[QUOTE="Mr Clean, post: 829972, member:
Harbor freight breaks way more often than snap on.
If they were both free would you chose harbor freight over snap on? To me the lost time to a broke tool costs me more than the money I save.
Everybody warranties there stuff it's just the frequency of having to use the warranty. Just like cheap parts vs. OEM parts both have warranties,but I don't have time to change a starter every 2 years or fuel pump etc. I buy stuff I have confidence in. Buy some snap on tools,compare them to harbor freight. I bought snap on and I've bought harbor freight, so I have real world expierience with both. As for repurposing my old cordless stuff. Too much on my plate right now,but will do ASAP. It's not hard,gut a spare tool battery use the housing and contacts solder in a cord with a lighter plug,use epoxy to hold the contacts in place.

Last edited:

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Sure alot of ya'll are in the same boat I am as far as hand tools go. Craftsman of the 80's. Were a very good tool at a reasonable price! Pa got me a box full of brand new Craftsman for my 16th birthday, not a set but what I needed. I still have those wrenches and sockets, or the replacement of the few that broke. Still have the umpteenth replacement ratchets, all 3 broke. He passed in 09 and now my daughter and I have all his old Craftsman stuff from the 50's. His ratchets still work? I'm needing to fill a box on another truck and am torn on what to buy. Carlyle from napa good ratchets and sockets, their open ends suck, I mean suck big donkey peckers! As do their crowsfeet. Have heard Carlyle and Icon are the same? Bet I go with Harbor Freight and just double everything and be money ahead with a lifetime warranty.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Sure alot of ya'll are in the same boat I am as far as hand tools go. Craftsman of the 80's. Were a very good tool at a reasonable price! Pa got me a box full of brand new Craftsman for my 16th birthday, not a set but what I needed. I still have those wrenches and sockets, or the replacement of the few that broke. Still have the umpteenth replacement ratchets, all 3 broke. He passed in 09 and now my daughter and I have all his old Craftsman stuff from the 50's. His ratchets still work? I'm needing to fill a box on another truck and am torn on what to buy. Carlyle from napa good ratchets and sockets, their open ends suck, I mean suck big donkey peckers! As do their crowsfeet. Have heard Carlyle and Icon are the same? Bet I go with Harbor Freight and just double everything and be money ahead with a lifetime warranty.
My personal favorite name brand, tbat ive used and abused, with no issues, is Channellock brand. I have the 111 peice mechanic box, Thats my go to set for everything i do at home or the junkyard.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yeah, because Mercedes never breaks down! Why does Snap-On give a lifetime warranty if their stuff is so good, and never slips or breaks?
Only Snap-on stuff i ever broke have been two adapters. 1/2 to 3/8. Because warranty is a necessity in a world of used and abused tools? I've daily driven one 3/8 ratchet for ten years now and it hasn't had a single problem. Ive used it for body mount and U bolts. That ratchet has seen more than any other tool I have.

They would be considered a **** company without warranty, in a world where mechanics do things with tools they shouldn't do is a world they need warranty. If they didn't have a warranty system you would say theyre a **** company for not having a warranty.

You get a harbor freight warranty you still have a harbor freight tool.

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Just to clarify, I may be a bit of a Snap-on ***** but you can bet 1/3 of my tools aren't Snap-on.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
No snap-on for me and one of my friends has a truck she runs. Lol

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have 70 years of all sorts of tools from everywhere. My favorite is presently OTC.

drumvirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-30
Engine Size
If money is no object and the highest quality is, and you want the best in superior design and manufacturing, made in the USA by one of the only 2 tool manufacturers who still make their own hand tools here, then it's Wright Tools. The other USA manufacturer is Cornwell.

Summit carries the full Wright line.

It's interesting and informative to get on Wright Tools' website to learn why their tools are such high quality.

As a non-professional tool user, the Wright Tools that I have, I inherited from my dad who passed in '99.

Btw: Some older Craftsman tools were made by Wright.

If you're lucky and keep your eyes open, you might also find the "Wright Stuff" at auctions, garage sales, or antique shops or malls that have tools.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just to clarify, I may be a bit of a Snap-on ***** but you can bet 1/3 of my tools aren't Snap-on.

Me too. I'm not a tool snob, I just like quality tools. I'll buy any brand if it does what I want and seems/feels like it will last. I have a lot of Snap On, but there's a bunch of other tools in my boxes too.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Bought a few things today from Harbor Freight.
Already have a 1/4 impact driver, but i bought another for my dad, because hes always using mine anyway.
Driver, battery, charger, and a bag, for 59.99. Cant beat that.
And ive used and abused my other just bout every day for 3 years now, zero complaints.
You must be registered for see images attach
and a cheap ass ring compressor, that my friend gaurenteed me will break first time i use it, haha. Guess we'll see.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Let me clarify something. I'm not downgrading the quality of Snap-On or any of the other Tool Truck brands. I have used Snap-On, I have some Snap-On. I absolutely love them. I just can not and will not spend the kind of money they charge for my personnel use. If I wrenched for a living, that's probably all I would own. HF is convent and I do buy their better brand. I also buy from Lowes. I have had good luck with them, and have never had a problem with a return or warranty. I completely understand y'all that buy the high dollar tools. It's worth it to y'all. I work with a bunch of guys that don't understand why I like rebuilding these Squarebodies. It's not that I don't have the means to buy a new truck... I own a new truck. It's what I like to spend my money on...(when the wife lets me) LOL

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Bought a few things today from Harbor Freight.
Already have a 1/4 impact driver, but i bought another for my dad, because hes always using mine anyway.
Driver, battery, charger, and a bag, for 59.99. Cant beat that.
And ive used and abused my other just bout every day for 3 years now, zero complaints.
and a cheap ass ring compressor, that my friend gaurenteed me will break first time i use it, haha. Guess we'll see.

I have one of those cheap ass ring compressors. I don't remember where I got it, probably AutoZone or Advance 20+ years ago. It still does the job just fine.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
The reason I don't buy snap-on is because I think there are just as good of tools out there for fraction of the cost. I'm more partial to craftsman. My dad always bought craftsman for personal use at the house. I like the feel of their wrenches. Snap-on wrenches are too thin for me. I like the old school style craftsman because they're a thicker wrench. When you have a really tight nut or bolt and have to pull on the wrenches hard it doesn't hurt your hand as much. Again too me.

I'll never judge you for your tool preferences because it's whatever you like that you want to buy. I also have some other brands. HF is Pittsburgh I think and some of their stuff is pretty good imo. Lowe's home depot have good tools. I won't cheap out tho on tools. But I really feel snap-on is over priced just for the name.

I have a snap-on tool box of my grandpa's that is old AF and rusted but the drawers still slide nice and smooth. It's kinda like Kennedy tool boxes for machinist. A lot of guy's get them in machine shops. But one top box for Kennedy is close to a grand. I bought 1 top box, mid box and a roller from craftsman for 400 something bucks. To buy all three in Kennedy would be over 2k. I can't do that and that's my profession just like a mechanic. If I was a mechanic I still would buy craftsman and not snap-on because I can get more for less money and still get the lifetime warranty.

So wrenches, ratchet sets craftsman. Screw drivers, hammers. Pry bars and other stuff I'll buy different brands of them because I'm not as picky fir that stuff. Plus HF is just right around the corner from the house. Lol

Speaking of craftsman wrenches. I have a nice set of ratchet wrenches. When I put the new alt in the 82 a couple of weeks ago. I dropped the 1/2 wrench into the front grill area and I never heard it hit the ground. I looked and looked and never found it. I've drove it since and I guess it's still there or may have fell out idk. It sucks tho! I really like that set and now I lost one. :bawl: lol

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
I have worked with all different brand tools my whole life. I'm an Instrument /Electrician by trade. For electrical work Klien tools are the best hands down. Most of their tools are still made in the US. I have used Proto, Williams, SK,Ridgid , Channel lock, Snap On and others for the wrenching side of my work. At home I still have my original Craftsman wrenches , screw driver set, and a Sears socket set. They are more than 30 years old. I also bought a bunch of Craftsman metric tools back in the 90's when I began wrenching on cars. I do have a few Snap On , Lisle, Pittsburg and of course Gear Wrench ( my personal favorite), at the house. I take home the worn tools from work and have them buy me new ones for the job.;). I've found that Channel lock for pliers are the best. Everyone else's brand is just a gimmick. Like self-adjusting , push button lock etc. For air tools I bought the cheap ones usually Chicago Pneumatic. I don't use them very often. I did buy a bad azz compressor years ago. It has the cast iron cylinder liners. I change the oil and drain it every once in a while. I bought it from Montgomery Wards before they went out of business. I fit it in the back seat of my 99 z-28. So it has to be over 20 years old.
It's such a shame how they have screwed over our manufacturing in this country over my life time. I have Black and decker and sears power tools that were made here in the US. They still work after all these years. It's like my Timber land boots designed in the US, made in some far east country by slave labor. Oh well , I'm out got to go to work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus