What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrPink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I haven't bought much as far as tools go but i had to buy a new Jack a few weeks ago weeks ago as well as a drain pan and some shop rags.
You must be registered for see images attach

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
To me, buying tools is what a job is all about. I'll volunteer to do almost any job if I know I need to buy a new tool to complete the job. Although that has gotten me in trouble before....

I'm a bit sad though because I'm wrapping up a remodel of 2 out of the 3 bathrooms in our house, and I didn't need to buy a damn thing to do it except supplies. It's a bit sad really. I already have all the tools (and good ones) to do any house project. My favorite tools though have to be my wet tile saw, battery powered circular saw, or the sawzall.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
To me, buying tools is what a job is all about. I'll volunteer to do almost any job if I know I need to buy a new tool to complete the job. Although that has gotten me in trouble before....

I'm a bit sad though because I'm wrapping up a remodel of 2 out of the 3 bathrooms in our house, and I didn't need to buy a damn thing to do it except supplies. It's a bit sad really. I already have all the tools (and good ones) to do any house project. My favorite tools though have to be my wet tile saw, battery powered circular saw, or the sawzall.

I got a garage full of stuff like that when my contractor skipped out on the job. Probably would have been cheaper to buy the tools, however this is the deal I ended up with, involuntarily.

But if I ever need a sheetrock hoist, scaffold, two 12 inch miter saws, a DeWalt radio, dozens of hand tools like grinders, sawzalls, grinders, drills, jigsaws, a table saw, Keurig, pneumatic framing nailers, palm nailer, a compressor, sheetrock vacuum sander, milk crates full of hole saws, sandpaper, spackling tools, caulk, electrical components like switches, boxes etc. hundreds of pipe fittings, pex tool, torch, cutters, right angle drill, ramsets, crate full of drill bits,.... should I go on?

I even have a toe-kick saw. When I'll ever use it I don't know, but I have one now.

To me, the joy and value of owning tools is the capability they offer. Having the right ones to get jobs done quickly, efficiently, and correctly without having to go to extremes or get help. So if you didn't need any more tools for your renovation I'd say you're in a good place.

Me, I'd rather have had the job finished by the guy I paid to do it. But at least now if I need a holder to hang a spool of Romex on a 2 x 4 to pull wire and a strap gun to staple it in place, well,... I got that.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I haven't bought much as far as tools go but i had to buy a new Jack a few weeks ago weeks ago as well as a drain pan and some shop rags.
I got this for my bday. Can’t wait to use it

And bought this for myself for my bday. :)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I got this for my bday. Can’t wait to use it

And bought this for myself for my bday. :)

Hey, what's going on here? Last I knew, your newer Burb was maroon.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Hey, what's going on here? Last I knew, your newer Burb was maroon.
:) Got an opportunity at something a little bit newer (2013) and a LOT less miles from a buddy of mine who was moving out of the country so I sprung for it. The red one was running strong due to being anal about maintenance but had 228k on it so I considered it a good move. The red one I traded to a buddy for his CTS Wagon (not a V). I’m gonna do a few odds and ends to the wagon and then may sell it

“New” Burb

Wagon

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I'll play....

Floor jack
Jack stands
Yoke tool
24" Breaker bar 1/2"
Air compressor
Impact wrench
Angle impact wrench
SAE and Metric sockets
Seal puller
Pair of 8" ramps
Thread repair kit
Ball joint kit
Hose clamp pliers
Brake piston compressor tool
O2 Sensor socket
4lb dead blow hammer
1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" torque wrenches

I retire in a little over a year and I'm buying everything I can while I still make a lot of money.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Purchased a new Torque wrench in anticipation of an engine rebuild since the clicker in my old one quit clicking. Bought this brand as one of the members here @Arkansas_V8 gave a good review of some of their tools he had purchased. Seems well made so we shall see!:cheers:
i am very content with the impact sockets from them. I have used them HARD for both easy and heavy duty stuff(think 3 sets of square body 8 lug nuts on 2 full midsize milwaukee battery charges and the lugnuts are so rusted on it makes the impact crawl them all off and they are too hot to touch when they come off) and Ive only broke ONE socket and it was on I pounded the ever living daylight out of onto a bolt and it was like 12 or 11mm so not a big one anyway. I sheared the metal of the bolt WITH the socket, got the bolt off, and it broke a few uses down the road and ti only just cracked, so i didnt use it anymore.

these were the 1/2 set.
I bought a 3/8 short, 1/2 deep x 3, 1/2 short
I bought 1/2 deep 3 times because i can never find my damn sockets. if i have them literally everywhre i can always find some right?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I got a garage full of stuff like that when my contractor skipped out on the job. Probably would have been cheaper to buy the tools, however this is the deal I ended up with, involuntarily.

But if I ever need a sheetrock hoist, scaffold, two 12 inch miter saws, a DeWalt radio, dozens of hand tools like grinders, sawzalls, grinders, drills, jigsaws, a table saw, Keurig, pneumatic framing nailers, palm nailer, a compressor, sheetrock vacuum sander, milk crates full of hole saws, sandpaper, spackling tools, caulk, electrical components like switches, boxes etc. hundreds of pipe fittings, pex tool, torch, cutters, right angle drill, ramsets, crate full of drill bits,.... should I go on?

I even have a toe-kick saw. When I'll ever use it I don't know, but I have one now.

To me, the joy and value of owning tools is the capability they offer. Having the right ones to get jobs done quickly, efficiently, and correctly without having to go to extremes or get help. So if you didn't need any more tools for your renovation I'd say you're in a good place.

Me, I'd rather have had the job finished by the guy I paid to do it. But at least now if I need a holder to hang a spool of Romex on a 2 x 4 to pull wire and a strap gun to staple it in place, well,... I got that.
I have a grandfather who passed and i moved in and still going through everything but one of the first things i noticed was the amount of nail guns.
First, why are there so many
Second, HOW MANY ARE THERE?

I have at least 9 nail guns, some are the same model. new in boxes. scattered about. nail strips, wires, etc different lengths purposes etc
same with orbital sanders
HOW MANY DO YOU NEED?

I also have a LOT of old antique tools that i dont know what they do. I am learning more everyday, some are organized. I think one set is a auto body collection for auto body repair. they are weird shaped hammers, a bucket full of lead bits, literally. chunks of lead of various shapes and distortions. some stuff for that stuff. But it might not be auto body lead, it might be just literal stack of lead because a wheel weight bucket is also next to it.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I have a grandfather who passed and i moved in and still going through everything but one of the first things i noticed was the amount of nail guns.

I have at least 9 nail guns, some are the same model. new in boxes. scattered about. nail strips, wires, etc different lengths purposes etc
HOW MANY DO YOU NEED?

I also have a LOT of old antique tools that i dont know what they do. I am learning more everyday, some are organized. I think one set is a auto body collection for auto body repair. they are weird shaped hammers, a bucket full of lead bits, literally. chunks of lead of various shapes and distortions. some stuff for that stuff. But it might not be auto body lead, it might be just literal stack of lead because a wheel weight bucket is also next to it.

Wheel weights melted and molded into whatever ole Gpa wanted?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L

HOW MANY DO YOU NEED?

Post the mystery ones in the Guess the Tool thread. Someone here can probably identify them.

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/guess-the-tool.22185/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag