What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Nice! So where does that fit, behind the seat?
Edit...never mind, didn't see that was a flat bed, lol.

Not a very pretty flat bed, was on the truck when I got it. Keep cussing the ugly thing swearing I'm going to build another...... but, with that winch already mounted up fine and and all my stuff mounted, bet I just get used to it. lol
Thanks!

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Th400 pump alignment band and seal lip installer because too lazy to make my own, lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Apparently Costco sells log splitters now. This sells at Home Depot for $1400. They have them for $800.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Apparently Costco sells log splitters now. This sells at Home Depot for $1400. They have them for $800.
Nice! I have a bunch of ponderosa pine that was beetle killed that I need to split up, that's way better price than what I was looking at.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Nice! I have a bunch of ponderosa pine that was beetle killed that I need to split up, that's way better price than what I was looking at.
Costco’s item number is 1373223. You can call your local warehouse and they can do a search for you on which locations might have it.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Spent wayyy too much at Harbor Freight this weekend lol. Bought 4 different deepwell socket sets that I’ve been needing and picked up one of the new ICON brand 1/2” 90 tooth ratchets since my old one gave up the ghost. Haven’t used it much yet but so far it seems really nice and smooth.

The unplanned purchase was one of their 20V 3/8” Earthquake branded impacts. It was in the clearance section for $93 and came with the charger and a battery. The manager piped up and said “If there’s anything there you like, I’ll make you an even better deal”. So I grabbed it and went to check out. He gave it to me for $63 and a free membership to automatically get their best pricing [emoji869]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Costco’s item number is 1373223. You can call your local warehouse and they can do a search for you on which locations might have it.

Log splitters are nice! Coming from a feller that repairs alot of hydraulic cylinders, be careful. The price you give for the whole unit is about the same as the price of a new, quality 3 to 4 inch bore 1 1/2 shaft 3 foot ish cylinder. Those cheap cylinders are just that cheap. Seals and o rings are anemic at best, and don't ask me what soft metal the shafts are made from, but it's soft. The chrome plating is a polished skim of chrome at best, it wears off in a hurry. That being said, hope yours gives you years of reliable service. It can and will if you don't expect it to be a monster, pay attention to not get it in any "sideways" bind, or go to tinkering with the pump. Be my wager they have it set in the 1500 to 2000 pound range, to not hurt the 2500 pound cylinder. Please don't take this as me bad mouthing your log splitter, not my intent by any measure.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Log splitters are nice! Coming from a feller that repairs alot of hydraulic cylinders, be careful. The price you give for the whole unit is about the same as the price of a new, quality 3 to 4 inch bore 1 1/2 shaft 3 foot ish cylinder. Those cheap cylinders are just that cheap. Seals and o rings are anemic at best, and don't ask me what soft metal the shafts are made from, but it's soft. The chrome plating is a polished skim of chrome at best, it wears off in a hurry. That being said, hope yours gives you years of reliable service. It can and will if you don't expect it to be a monster, pay attention to not get it in any "sideways" bind, or go to tinkering with the pump. Be my wager they have it set in the 1500 to 2000 pound range, to not hurt the 2500 pound cylinder. Please don't take this as me bad mouthing your log splitter, not my intent by any measure.
10-4. The yardmax gets decent reviews amongst all the other sub-$1500 splitters. The nice thing about Costco is if it breaks, I take it back for a full refund. I wouldn’t feel good about doing that after a normal length of service, say 10-15 years but if it croaks in 5 years...back it goes.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I bought a makita mac5200 compressor about three months ago and just posted a review online and on this site in videos. It is a frikken beast. Very well made.
Also just got a new digital advance timing light. My old one has the dial that never seems to stay put.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Someone on here mentioned Tekton tools a while back and I have heard other good things about them as well. Today I ordered a ratchet set to see what I think about them. I was down to one working 1/4 drive ratchet and I really like the flex head ratchets so what the heck, time to try it out. If I like it, I can get a discount on more stuff from them and they make some pretty complete sets it looks like. https://www.tekton.com/flex-quick-release-ratchet-set-srh99111

I will post back up when I get them and get a chance to know them better ;)

I said I would post later after getting some use in on these things. I have more time in on the 1/4 drive ratchet and really like them. The 90 tooth ratchets aren't the best action money can buy but are a huge improvement over the craftsman ratchets that come in those blow mold kits they sold 20 years ago. It's arguably almost as good as my snap on but time will only tell if it will last as long. The 3/8 ratchets are a good addition to the box too.

I was/am a bit unhappy with the 1/2 drive ratchet. It's a little draggy in one spot of the 360 a ratchet makes going backward. It's not noticeable unless you are turning it by hand or just hit that spot while backing out a bolt and you get to the point the bolt tension won't overcome the clicking mechanism. I am sure you all know what I mean but theres a spot it holds back more than anywhere else. I haven't taken it apart though as it really is pretty minor.

Now for some glowing review time. I had an old pair of snap ring pliers with the tip broke on one side. Realizing they are Tekton, no idea where I picked them up but they were surely cheap, I thought I would test their warranty. The site says all tools for life and they don't even offer snap ring pliers now. The process is a simple online form, you snap pics and attach to the form and wait. Within an hour I got a reply basically confirming my form wasn't in a black hole and early the next morning a support guy emailed me saying they didn't offer that anymore and to pick out a tool worth $15 bucks on the site and they would send it or I could have my account credited. I chose the credit because you earn credit anyway from purchases but they didn't ask any questions and stood behind a tool they don't even offer. I will be buying more tools from these guys as I need them.

Side note/question for you all with craftsman tools. Who do you have warranty their stuff now? My Sears is always empty and they won't order a replacement saying they only offer to trade something off the shelf and Lowes won't replace sockets either because "they don't sell individuals" and won't open a set.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Hey Travis, might try Ace hardware if you have one near. I hear they still sell individual craftsman sockets.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Lowes.
I just replaced a locked up 1/4 drive ratchet a few months ago that was at least 30 years old. Said to go pick out one that compared as close as possible to the old one and bring it back to Customer Service.
No problem at all.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Oh crap...just saw that you tried Lowes already. Nevermind.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey Travis, might try Ace hardware if you have one near. I hear they still sell individual craftsman sockets.
I have an Ace in the next town over. I will try them out if I haven't pitched those sockets already.
Lowes.
I just replaced a locked up 1/4 drive ratchet a few months ago that was at least 30 years old. Said to go pick out one that compared as close as possible to the old one and bring it back to Customer Service.
No problem at all.
I haven't tried a ratchet but they wouldn't consider a single socket... Who knows maybe I got someone on a bad day.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Bought a new saw a stihl ms 250 normal retail price is 359 + tax but i got it for 300 out the door.
sure beats me old stihl it was a 039 and to big for my needs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84