What is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodhook

Reaction score
First Name
Barney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I rewired my 77 K10, but the kit I used didn’t have the new wiring for the AC/heat. I used my existing wire, which is what the instructions suggested. My problem is now the blower motor will only work on low speed. It comes on when the ignition is turned on but will not speed up with the switch. I’m using my existing switch, which worked fine before I started working on the restoration. What is this thing on the firewall and does it have anything to do with my problem? The wire on the left of this thing is part of the AC/heating wiring but doesn’t have anything connected on the right side!I don’t want to start changing resistors and relays unless they are bad.
X

Attachments

• IMG_5310.jpg
    IMG_5310.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 56

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The 2 stud block on the firewall is basically a power distribution block, it typically doesn't directly have anything to do with the HVAC.

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
Hello Woodhook! I hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

I think @Snoots, @Ricko1966, @idahovette, @SirRobyn0, or one of our many other expert members will be here shortly and give us a real good explanation.

IMHO I think it is just a bus bar connection, but like I mentioned they will be here shortly to the rescue.

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
The 2 stud block on the firewall is basically a power distribution block, it typically doesn't directly have anything to do with the HVAC.

Like I mentioned @Woodhook this is why I love this forum!

@nvrenuf said:

Guys are super helpful!!

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
It's definitely a bus bar for power...

Several of the ones I have see though have a wire with fusible link going from the right side down to the bulkhead (backside of the fuse block) on the firewall.

Woodhook

Reaction score
First Name
Barney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
when I removed the old wiring, there was a wire from the right side of this block that went inside the cab and connected to a resistor type connector mounted to the steering shaft. From there, 2, three wire bundles were just laying inside the dash not connected to anything. From what I found searching the internet, they seem to be made for the rear AC/heat on a suburban.

Woodhook

Reaction score
First Name
Barney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Radiohead, I have power to the blower motor when the ignition is on (low speed only) Is there any other power source I need?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Actually, one fused wire from that block goes to the input side of the HVAC fan relay.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Radiohead, I have power to the blower motor when the ignition is on (low speed only) Is there any other power source I need?
You can run a jumper wire from the 12v supply(red)from the relay to the blower motor. If you get high speed on your blower then, it's probably the relay. Also inspect your resister to make sure none of the coils are burned in two.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I don't think so. If one speed has power, the resistor seems to be getting juice. Whether it is distributing through the various values to give the speeds seems the problem. But no high speed seems its own problem.

Last edited:

bolidoendiablado

Reaction score
First Name
Nestor
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew Cab
Engine Size
I don't think so. If one speed has power, the resistor seems to be getting juice. Whether it is distributing through the various values to give the speeds seems the problem. But no high speed seems its own problem.
Actually, that block provides juice for the high speed position for the blower fan. I’d suggest you also look at the wiring schematics to assist you in the wiring and also understanding it. There’s a red/orange wire that goes to the relay that is attached to the AC box

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad