What is this wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dariocortez

Reaction score
First Name
dario
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v6
What’s is this wire?

I’m currently getting no crank no start, new starter alternator battery, ignition switch, neutral safety switch and stilll Notbing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 44

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
No idea what that is for but, check for 12V at your distributor.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Is that wire for oil pressure/sending unit?
Wouldn't have anything to do with power issue but to me looks like oil pressure switch connector

dariocortez

Reaction score
First Name
dario
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v6
Is that wire for oil pressure/sending unit?
Wouldn't have anything to do with power issue but to me looks like oil pressure switch connector
I don’t think it is since I already have the oil pressure unit connected. It’s a brown wire I believe

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The plug you are showing is for the electric choke oil pressure switch.

Are you getting power to the ignition switch? Do any of the accessories work, wipers, radio etc? If not then the fusible link from the starter is open. If you have power for the accessories and they are working, then the neutral safety switch is the next place to check.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You replaced the ignition switch, is it adjusted correctly?

dariocortez

Reaction score
First Name
dario
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v6
You replaced the ignition switch, is it adjusted correctly?
Some accessories work, radio headlights etc. I haven’t checked if I have power to the ignition. I also replaced the neutral safety switch. I’m not sure if I’ve adjusted the ignition switch

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Try starting it in neutral.

If that doesn’t work, make sure your foot is firmly on the brake, hold the key in the crank position, and slowly move the shifter thru the gears. If it cranks, the switch isn’t adjusted correctly.

dariocortez

Reaction score
First Name
dario
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v6

If that doesn’t work, make sure your foot is firmly on the brake, hold the key in the crank position, and slowly move the shifter thru the gears. If it cranks, the switch isn’t adjusted correctly.

Thanks! Just tried that and nothing :(

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Find the nuetral safety switch at the base of the column. Look for the connector with a yellow and purple wire. Yellow is crank trigger from the ignition switch, purple is the starter crank feed. Make absolutely SURE the transmission is in park, jumper the purple wire to battery power. If the starter cranks, you know the wiring from the neutral switch to the starter solenoid is good, and the problem is between the ignition switch and the neutral switch. If not, then it’s time start tracing wires.

Last edited:

Hugger-4641

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm actually chasing this same issue in my 85. But in my case I have ignition power because I can jump the terminals on the starter and it starts up and runs. I've verified that my wire is good from NSS to the starter, so I'm about to tear into my steering column and see if it's a broken wire or my ignition switch is bad.
It's good if you have some help, but the first thing I would do is check the fusible links. On my 85. one of these is between the main lug on the starter and the alternator, so its easy to check at the alternator. The other fusible link goes back to fusebox to supply power for it, so if this one is not working your wipers, radio, etc should not work. If the fusible links are good, then your problem is somewhere between the fuse box/ignition switch/ NSS. With the key in the "on' position I would first check yellow wire and see if you have 12v, then check purple wire at the NSS and see if you get 12v when the key is turned. If you don't have 12v on yellow when ignition is on, then you need to check wire from fuse box to ignition switch and make sure you have 12v to ignition. If you do have 12v on yellow, but not on purple when key is turned to start, then you have a problem in the NSS. If you have power to ignition, but no power on yellow wire at NSS, then your problem is in steering column or ignition switch like mine is.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31