what is this liquid and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I am still smelling hot burning smell initially the problem was ATF but I think that's resolved.

About a month ago I fixed a fuel leak where the filter goes into the carb it was dripping onto the intake manifold and evaporating that spot is dry now.

Now I smell it a lot again and I decided to check again... and I see where there is wetness on the intake again, but in the area between the carb and the heads.

Is it coming from these wet spots on the carburetor? Sorry the pics are not so good but I took one of each side, and a picture of where it's leaking onto. I tried to shine the flashlight near what I was trying to show, but if you zoom in you can see the wet carburetor.

Thank you for any input.

Attachments

• IMAG0993.jpg
    IMAG0993.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG0994.jpg
    IMAG0994.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0990.jpg
    IMAG0990.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 90

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Im thinking its leakage from the well plugs in the bowl seeping out through the gasket there.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Im thinking its leakage from the well plugs in the bowl seeping out through the gasket there.

****... is that bad? Will my truck catch on fire while I'm driving? How do I fix it?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
How much is it leaking? I cant really see the pics very well. If it is from there you would need to at the very least replace the gasket but it would be best to addess the well plugs leaking.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

This is what came to my mind as well. To properly fix these plugs you must remove the plugs then tap the holes and epoxy in set screws to permanently seal the fuel well plugs any thing else is a temporary fix that could last from 2 weeks to a couple of years. Unlikely it will last for more than a few months though.

The secret is in the epoxy though as to something that will hold up to being exposed to the heat and the fuel.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The smell of gasoline is very recognizable and distinct. Can't you just stick your finger in the puddle and sniff it?

Also gas is highly volatile evaporates very quickly. Unless you are gushing a large volume of gas onto your intake manifold it is difficult to form a pool. If the manifold is hot or even just warm - it is gone in an instant.

The small amount that could leak out of the well plugs and somehow make it past the carburetor body gasket certainly wouldn't be enough to make visible pools on the manifold. The design of the intake manifold and the position of the well plugs make it extremely unlikely that - even if they were dripping - that gas could end up on the manifolds. Any gas coming out of the plugs falls into a trough in the center of the manifold and is led via two little grooves down into the manifold vestibule;

You must be registered for see images attach

Plus, if you were losing enough gas from the well plugs to form puddles on the manifolds, the bowl would empty out very quickly. You would be very aware of this because, starting the truck after an overnight shutdown would require a wicked long crank time.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The smell of gasoline is very recognizable and distinct. Can't you just stick your finger in the puddle and sniff it?

Also gas is highly volatile evaporates very quickly. Unless you are gushing a large volume of gas onto your intake manifold it is difficult to form a pool. If the manifold is hot or even just warm - it is gone in an instant.

The small amount that could leak out of the well plugs and somehow make it past the carburetor body gasket certainly wouldn't be enough to make visible pools on the manifold. The design of the intake manifold and the position of the well plugs make it extremely unlikely that - even if they were dripping - that gas could end up on the manifolds. Any gas coming out of the plugs falls into a trough in the center of the manifold and is led via two little grooves down into the manifold vestibule;

Plus, if you were losing enough gas from the well plugs to form puddles on the manifolds, the bowl would empty out very quickly. You would be very aware of this because, starting the truck after an overnight shutdown would require a wicked long crank time.

The fuel will fall onto the heat insulator gasket and travel along to the outside of the gasket if any mating imperfections exist. I have seen it first hand on my own vehicles.

Though it could very likely be coming from the fuel filter housing and travelling along the base of the carb and depositing where it so chooses. Now that I say that the window for the fuel filter has been known to leak on occasion too. I always peen the edges over when I service mine the first time.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Is it safe to drive? If what's on the manifold is not gas then it must be oil?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I thought about that but where would the oil come from? I know he PCV connects in the center on the lower front of the carb but that's a vacuum connection. Unless it is leaking some oil residue out after you shut it off. If that's the case you should also have a vacuum leak there and either have a lot of blow by to create enough oil vapor or an issue with the oil baffle in the valve cover. I may be too far outside the box on this tho...

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I bet its the accelerator pump shaft leaking.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I wouldn't use those myself and also the secondary plugs rarely if ever leak its always the primaries.

I have the info for what size tap and set screw to use for both primaries and secondaries if anyone wants to know.

Why not? They are o-ringed fit very tight and are held in place by the spike point.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Rubber o ring vs Epoxied plug. That's why