What is it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
The part that this harness adapts to is due in later today... until then lets see what GMSQB thinks...

You must be registered for see images attach

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
That adapts late model heated o2 sensor to non heated or 1 wire to 3 wire o2 sensor.
What do I win?:Moon:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
That adapts late model heated o2 sensor to non heated or 1 wire to 3 wire o2 sensor.
What do I win?:Moon:

You just won your first Rep point.... :winner_first_h4h:

o2 sensor should be in today. Pretty much plug and play, then off to emissions for the true test.

Benefit of a heated o2:

http://www.cfm-tech.com/oxygen_sensor_tuning.htm

Important information on the two different types of oxygen sensors available for GM TBI/TPI vehicles.

1) The first type is the single wire (non-heated) type. This relies on exhaust heat to bring it to the 650 degrees F. The materials need to produce voltage from the difference of oxygen content inside the exhaust system vs. outside of it. When there is not enough exhaust heat to raise the 02 sensor to approx. 650 degrees - as is cold start, low cruise rpm, headers and/or cat back exhaust, absence of catalytic converter, etc - the computer will rely on it's chip programming. This is no where as efficient as when the computer reads the 02 sensor signals and adjusts the fuel trim for proper air/fuel ratio. This is the first generation of oxygen sensors used by manufacturers and can be found on most GM Tbi vehicles. A few models in the last 1-2 years of GM Tbi production came with the more preferable 3 wire (heated) 02 sensors which are discussed just below.

2) The second type of 02 sensor is the 3 wire (heated) that is built with it's own internal heater. This heater typically only takes 10-20 seconds to heat the 02 sensor to it's proper operating temperature. Since this is wired to an ignition switched circuit the 02 sensor will now be on from almost the instant you start the engine to the instant you turn it off. Fabulous! Emission laws can work in our favor.

Black wire is the signal wire
1 white wire is the 12v ignition switched wire
1 white wire is the ground wire.
*** The heater is not concerned with which white wire is used as + or - , it is just concerned that 1 is used for + and the other - to complete the circuit. This makes it very easy to retrofit a 3 wire oxygen sensor in place of the very inefficient 1 wire sensor.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
I had to use one of those when I did an s10 v8 because I thought the headers moved the o2 sensor back too far causing a lean condition and a severe stumble accelerating under load. Never did figure that one out, got sick of screwing around with it and one day I come out after work and the windshield was cracked. So I pulled the motor took a bunch of spare parts off it and scrapped the rest. This was all before I found this board and learned about that short hose on the fuel pump, when I saw that in a thread I almost went to the junkyard to see if the still had the fuel tank.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
So here it is; 3 wire heated o2....

With the harness install is a snap. Could easily be wired without on your own, Im just too lazy and prefer "plug and play".

o2 sensor into the harness, OE connector to harness connector...pink to 12v and black is ground.

PN for the 3 wire is shown, fits a ton of diff GM applications and avaialble just about everywhere from $40 on up.

I snagged the harness on eBay for $25, so I have roughly $75 into it.

From what I have read, this mod is almost a necessity with headers....

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Name of harness? Or how to search for one?

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Yes,

Forum statistics