What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I got to start tracing a short in my door locks. I thought it was the switches but it is not. :(

Front doors work fine but the 3 rear doors short out on unlock position and won't unlock all the way. And this happens randomly. :help:

My guess would be that you have broken wiring inside one or more of the rubber boots that span between the door and the body. Very common failure in some of the German stuff I used to work on. Not sure if it's common to Squares, but it'd be the first place I'd look if it was mine. The rear probably doesn't function well because the old lithium grease is all dry and turned to sticky clay. Remove that right door inner panel, clean all the lock mechanism components with WD-40 (crappy lubricant, but a great solvent cleaner), relube with Triflow and see how it functions before you put the door panel back on.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
My son drive my K1500 everyday that he was here for Thanksgiving break. I got to drive it today cuz my roll back sat on the side of the interstate with 2 flat rear tires. What a fuggin day !!! :flipthebird:

Didja hafta call for a tow truck???:lol:

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Fixed the old piece of crap radio last night with one speaker. But, it does the job for now. Better than nothing I guess!

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
installed new rear brake shoes,springs,wheel cylinders,brake hose, and had the drums turned raybestos baby lol.

new diff cover gasket and oil ( old gasket was seeping some ) looked like chocolate pudding/syrup in the axle.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
installed new rear brake shoes,springs,wheel cylinders,brake hose, and had the drums turned raybestos baby lol.

new diff cover gasket and oil ( old gasket was seeping some ) looked like chocolate pudding/syrup in the axle.

I bet it smelled real good too :yucky:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
My guess would be that you have broken wiring inside one or more of the rubber boots that span between the door and the body. Very common failure in some of the German stuff I used to work on. Not sure if it's common to Squares, but it'd be the first place I'd look if it was mine. The rear probably doesn't function well because the old lithium grease is all dry and turned to sticky clay. Remove that right door inner panel, clean all the lock mechanism components with WD-40 (crappy lubricant, but a great solvent cleaner), relube with Triflow and see how it functions before you put the door panel back on.

Thanks for the info. Good job guys with your repairs and maintenance.

1sik78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 pickup
Engine Size
250 inline 6
Just got some 15" rims with tires for my 78. I like it a lot
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach
[ATTACH]15712.vB[/ATTACH]
You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386222011.934118.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386222011.934118.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 55

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Degreased, wire wheeled the valve covers inside and out. And painted the outside grabber green.

RailRiderHD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
bought one of those little heater/defrosters that plug into the cig lighter, my defroster and heater work fine, but they just don't keep up like the newer vehicles, so I figured that would help it along, and it does, lol

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If it weren't below 32 F outside, I'd be replacing the HL dimmer switch, turn signal cam, ignition key tumbler, and door hinge pins and S-springs.

Stupid winter....

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
bought one of those little heater/defrosters that plug into the cig lighter, my defroster and heater work fine, but they just don't keep up like the newer vehicles, so I figured that would help it along, and it does, lol

Did you see the thread from a month or 2 ago where a member discovered that the heater blower motor from the next generation after the squares, fits the squares, and moves more air? Maybe yours would benefit?

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did you see the thread from a month or 2 ago where a member discovered that the heater blower motor from the next generation after the squares, fits the squares, and moves more air? Maybe yours would benefit?

Wha?? This I would like to hear about. Mine doesn't move enough air to keep the windshield defrosted. Of course it doesn't help that High doesn't work for some reason...

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Preparing my plan of attack to track down my vibration (engine speed related, since it goes away when I am at speed and in neutral and the RPMs drop, also does it while not moving and revving).

First plan is to remove the fan and clutch, then the accessories one by one. If vibration is still there, I'll remove the inspection cover on the trans and unbolt the converter from the flexplate, push the converter into the trans, then start the engine and see if the vibration is gone or not. If it's still there, that pretty places the blame on the harmonic balancer if the flexplate checks out (which it did 3 months ago when I changed the transmission).

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=184422&highlight=blower#post184422

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=184031&highlight=blower#post184031

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7665&highlight=blower

Wha?? This I would like to hear about. Mine doesn't move enough air to keep the windshield defrosted. Of course it doesn't help that High doesn't work for some reason...

High position in the heater switch takes it's toll over the years. Would not be surprised if you pulled the switch and saw burning on the high position segments of the brass contacts, even melted plastic holding it.

Preparing my plan of attack to track down my vibration (engine speed related, since it goes away when I am at speed and in neutral and the RPMs drop, also does it while not moving and revving).

First plan is to remove the fan and clutch, then the accessories one by one. If vibration is still there, I'll remove the inspection cover on the trans and unbolt the converter from the flexplate, push the converter into the trans, then start the engine and see if the vibration is gone or not. If it's still there, that pretty places the blame on the harmonic balancer if the flexplate checks out (which it did 3 months ago when I changed the transmission).

Do not want to be in your shoes, good luck!

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
High position in the heater switch takes it's toll over the years. Would not be surprised if you pulled the switch and saw burning on the high position segments of the brass contacts, even melted plastic holding it.

I thought that too, but I put a new switch in and still no high. I haven't tried tracing it down anymore than that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue