What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfd378

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
350ci
New u joints, Holley 500cfm racing carb, new seats.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got the hood primed and blocked and ready to go back on the truck. Took a few shots of the kids in the driveway. Next project is to pull the engine and trans from the white truck to detail the engine, engine bay, cab floor, replace all the cab and radiator support mounts and replace the transmission that I blew up raising hell with the old truck. Also ordered all new bling for the front end of the garage queen.
Is that a Dyna Wide Glyde setting there ????
I have a 97 FXDWG.
I got to get My ass in gear and get this fuel tank switching valve and the switching for the fuel guage wired up. Ambition ???? where the fugg are Yuh ????? :signs8::driver::peace::anitoof:

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Took apart the new-to-me 6.2 to see why it wouldn't turn over all the way. The guy who gave it to me figured it had a mud daubers nest in one of the cylinders... wrong! Dropped valve...

travisr1988

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado
Engine Size
I killed mine today :( Cruising on the highway doing 55mph sounded good, but coming off the highway it started making a rapid ticking on decel, oil pressure dropped to 0psi when speed dropped below 45mph and then started sounding horrible, like dead cylinders...now I have to borrow my in laws truck to tow mine to their place until I get the "new" motor built and ready to drop in...figure I'll get the EFI swap underway at the same time.

Quick question...are the 1987 chevy fuel tanks different from the 1979?
I need to know whether the fuel pump and sending unit will work in my tank. Also The fuel lines are the same up until the mechanical pump right?
If so, I can make new lines that work with the TBI correct?

P.S. I have the TBI stuff...heads, intake, throttle body, wiring. (from a 305)

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
That sounds more like your oil pump went out than a dead cylinder. I don't think a bad cylinder would cause 0 oil pressure. Not saying this is an easy fix either... Engines gotta come out either way

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I killed mine today :( Cruising on the highway doing 55mph sounded good, but coming off the highway it started making a rapid ticking on decel, oil pressure dropped to 0psi when speed dropped below 45mph and then started sounding horrible, like dead cylinders...now I have to borrow my in laws truck to tow mine to their place until I get the "new" motor built and ready to drop in...figure I'll get the EFI swap underway at the same time.

Quick question...are the 1987 chevy fuel tanks different from the 1979?
I need to know whether the fuel pump and sending unit will work in my tank. Also The fuel lines are the same up until the mechanical pump right?
If so, I can make new lines that work with the TBI correct?

P.S. I have the TBI stuff...heads, intake, throttle body, wiring. (from a 305)

Yes, the 87 fuel tanks are very different. They are baffled and have somewhat of a sump for the electric fuel pump. You can use an 87 in anything, but not the other way around. You will need the 87 Fuel tank for TBI, TPI and SFI. Pretty much all fuel injection.

The reason it might have sounded like you lost cylinders, it the hydro lifters bled down alot and the pushrods not being pushed near as high as normal to open the valves.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Spent $24 and got my annual tag for the 84 C20.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Yes, the 87 fuel tanks are very different. They are baffled and have somewhat of a sump for the electric fuel pump. You can use an 87 in anything, but not the other way around. You will need the 87 Fuel tank for TBI, TPI and SFI. Pretty much all fuel injection.

The reason it might have sounded like you lost cylinders, it the hydro lifters bled down alot and the pushrods not being pushed near as high as normal to open the valves.

1987-91 tank since it's a C20.

Travis will need 350 injectors and computer unless you're planning on running a 305.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
1987-91 tank since it's a C20.

Travis will need 350 injectors and computer unless you're planning on running a 305.

I was into the thinking that the 87 fuel tanks sending unit was a one year only, using the older style sending unit with the fuel pump designed and added so that the 87 sender/pump would fit the older dual tanks, but not having the baffle in place to prevent fuel starvation, unless the tank was a 1/4 or greater full.
Would My thinking be correct???
It seems that some of the websites that sells the fuel tanks or sendeing units, does`nt list them for the 87, and so, that is where I was getting My conclusions from.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
FINALLY, I got the new switching valve/switch all wired in, plumbing new hoses completed, for the right side, now, tape, I run out of tape, to finish the taping job.
I auto salvaged a weatherproof four wire connector and added quick connectors, so that if there ever comes a time for to remove the tanks again, they can be quick disconnect. that`ll happen when I finally get enough money together to get the intank fueling pumps/sender units and add the TBI manifold and parafernailia.

tomtom1954

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scotsdale
Engine Size
I've seen this thread on several other forums and it's usually a good one and is good for posting up those little things that may not really belong in a build thread but just to make mention of :D

Lately I've driven her a little bit (she loves the heat!). I'm getting ready to do some little things to her pretty soon, though. The comp/temp mirror mod should be accomplished in the next week or so. I've also got a couple of small custom touches in mind but those will remain a secret for now :secret: Should turn out looking nice, though :)

Put on a new steering damper.New steps were shipped,found bondo in old ones.

travisr1988

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado
Engine Size
ok, so I'll need to grab an 87 tank or inline fuel pump. And 350 injectors and ECU. My dad looked at it and said it was a lot worse than even I had thought, I figured I lost compression in 1 or more cylinders as it sounded like a couple cylinders were pushing air and not firing, but he said it's worse than that and that we'll have to get the motor in his garage built to replace this one, it runs, but barely...starts right up and idles which is new, normally I'd have to play with the pedal, but sounds horrible, either way he is sure it won't make it 10 miles down the road before being dead completely.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Is that a Dyna Wide Glyde setting there ????
I have a 97 FXDWG.
I got to get My ass in gear and get this fuel tank switching valve and the switching for the fuel guage wired up. Ambition ???? where the fugg are Yuh ????? :signs8::driver::peace::anitoof:

Nope that would be my $800.00 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 my wife bought me.
Came with Mustang seats, Vance and Hines pipes, full windshield, Kuryakyn grips and foot pegs and a full set of saddle bags. We were having dinner with friends and somehow got talking about bikes and my friend wanted to get rid of the Vulcan because he got a new bike. It had been sitting for a few months and the battery was dead and the carb needed cleaning. He was trying to sell it as is for 1500 and was having no luck so he was going to donate it to the Kidney foundation. Wife says since you want 1500 but are willing to give it away I'll give you 800 for it. Next thing I know I hear "DEAL"
After dinner I went home got the trailer and picked it up. Replaced the battery and cleaned the carb off we went. My wife will not get near a bike so I don't know what the hell was in that dinner that night.

This is the only picture I have of the bike.

Attachments

• Img_0238.jpg
    Img_0238.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 93

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nope that would be my $800.00 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 my wife bought me.
Came with Mustang seats, Vance and Hines pipes, full windshield, Kuryakyn grips and foot pegs and a full set of saddle bags. We were having dinner with friends and somehow got talking about bikes and my friend wanted to get rid of the Vulcan because he got a new bike. It had been sitting for a few months and the battery was dead and the carb needed cleaning. He was trying to sell it as is for 1500 and was having no luck so he was going to donate it to the Kidney foundation. Wife says since you want 1500 but are willing to give it away I'll give you 800 for it. Next thing I know I hear "DEAL"
After dinner I went home got the trailer and picked it up. Replaced the battery and cleaned the carb off we went. My wife will not get near a bike so I don't know what the hell was in that dinner that night.

This is the only picture I have of the bike.
I bet it gets out and scoots pretty good too.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got all the wires tied in and retaped, am now getting them all fastened down with wiring P-clamps.
The speedo cable appears that sometime in this pickups life, it had got too close to the exhaust pipe, has a big O~L limber spot in it. it was`nt hooked to the T-case before, so now, I`ll be scrounging for a speedo cable. HHMMmm, maybe check wit Rock Auto, see how much fuhr a new one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels