1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your square lately??

Discussion in 'Garage' started by Old77, Jul 11, 2012.

1. mrburitto

mrburitto Full Access Member

First Name:
    Cody
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20 Cheyenne Camper Special
    Engine Size:
    My wife tries to be cool about it but sometimes I can't blame her lol. Like right now, I'm also planning on installing speakers in my door but I don't have the funds to do it how I want. So I think I am about to cut some holes in the top of my dash and throw in some decent speakers for now. Ive been driving without any stereo for a while and its getting old. If I do this, I'll leave it for a year or two while I fix up everything else so it won't be a total waste of time lol. I also just picked up a double din stereo on sale and am still figuring out how I want to install it. I think its gonna involve alot of cutting and fiberglass lol. If anyone in AZ wants to meet up and show off Im down :D I think it could be pretty cool to meet up and help each other tackle an issue on each of our trucks one day... Maybe thats just because I could use alot of help though lol. I would bring whiskey...

Kim Burke and 42Grand like this.
  2. Colin

Colin Full Access Member

First Name:
    Colin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Silverado
    Engine Size:
    350 cu. in.
    Same valve covers. Just stripped and repainted the valleys.
    Also same air cleaner. New aluminum top I painted and added the mesh.

3. DoubleDingo

DoubleDingo Unconventional Thinker

First Name:
    Shane
    Truck Year:
    1981, 1965
    Truck Model:
    81-C20 Silverado Camper Special, 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
    Engine Size:
    Carb'ed Vortec 350, 1972 L48 350
    Nothing lately, but will be changing the oil either this week or over the weekend and making some dump runs and going to the bulkyard for compost and sand. Getting it insured right now, and then have to spend an outrageous amount ($215) for registration. I have the shopvac on standby too, the interior needs a good vacuuming.

Jrgunn5150 likes this.
  4. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 Questionable methods

First Name:
    J.R.
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    6.slow
    Went and cleaned mine off yesterday, took stock of what I need to make it make noise.

5. Kim Burke

Kim Burke Full Access Member

First Name:
    Kim
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C1500
    Engine Size:
    I dig the air cleaner.

6. 82sbshortbed

82sbshortbed Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Doug
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:

Wow $215 for tags! :eek:

I just got tags for the camaro last week for $87 and $25 for inspection. I haven't put tags on the square yet but I do like the $7 safety inspection. Lol

7. Frankenchevy

Frankenchevy . Supporting Member

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    old
    Truck Model:
    pickup
    Engine Size:
    8 cylinder
    Mine were $250 last year. I wonder what they’ll be this year...

The dmv hits me for a few grand a year for everything combined. Why don’t I get a multi car discount? My bottom can only fill one seat at a time.

Snoots likes this.
  8. 86Apache

86Apache Full Access Member

First Name:
    Marvin
    Truck Year:
    79 , 86 , 82
    Truck Model:
    C10's ,K20
    Engine Size:
    250 six, 350's
    Ouch! We are not that bad off but here in WV we get pegged for taxes, registered or not. That leads to a fair amount of titles that get delayed, or never changed over. A lot of "skip" titles as well, it is common for sellers to not date their signatures out of habit. lol

9. DoubleDingo

First Name:
    Shane
    Truck Year:
    1981, 1965
    Truck Model:
    81-C20 Silverado Camper Special, 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
    Engine Size:
    I remember paying $37 for my '65 years ago, and my '79 was around $60. When I got my '91 Jeep it was around $75 in 2002. Now each truck, the '65 and '81 are $215, I'm guessing because they're 3/4 tons. And then insurance, I've asked about the "Agreed Amount" insurance through AAA and the vehicle in question needs to be restored, no rust, no blemishes. Bullcrap! So I tried Hagerty, got an outstanding quote for comp and collision with $0 deductible for my older vehicles, but they won't insure them because they're in California and not parked in a locked garage or storage building.

Us too. There should be a multi-car discount for DMV like there is for insurance.

10. DoubleDingo

First Name:
    Shane
    Truck Year:
    1981, 1965
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    Just paid for registration, now I can drive it again.

82sbshortbed likes this.
  11. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Build the wall - deport them all! Supporting Member

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    Fixin to clear out and warm up fellas, hang in there!

12. PrairieDrifter

PrairieDrifter Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mason
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c10
    Engine Size:
    350, 350, 350
    Did 2 fuel pump jobs in less than 24 hours:33:

Was on the way to crappy old Walmart for some stuff and all was fine, I stopped at napa to order a couple things then drove a couple of miles to Walmart then stopped in a parking lot along the way and idled for five minutes. We took off from there and were only like two miles away. I came up to a stop sign and as I was going through the intersection it bogged so I let off and got back in it and it revved up and she completely died the second bog.

I was like wtf, I had a new ticking sound for about a week and couldn’t figure out what it was by ear, I attributed it to the temps being at -50 windchill. But it got warmer and kept it up for like a week and a few hundred miles so I wasn’t feeling very good about it.

Had the girlfriend with and had her turn it over while I had a plug wire off, and had spark. Obviously had air, so no fuel. Had her turn it over again with the air cleaner off and no fuel. I magically had the right wrench for the carb inlet on the fuel pump, for some other unrelated stuff lol. Had her turn it over again with the carb line off at the pump and had the smallest dribble. This was the wtf moment cuz that was a new pump and only has 1500 miles on it and some decent idle time.

I was lucky enough to have a very low traffic side road and just enough momentum to coast to a spot out of the way. We did end up needing a ride, then we got the other car, tried to make it back to napa but missed it by like 10 minutes. So we settled for oreillys instead since it was the last place open lol some gasket maker a fuel pump and some razor blades and we got her all fixed up.

Annnnddd thennn the oreillys pump leaked at the carb inlet fitting, pissed gas like a race horse. But it got the suburban back to my girlfriends, and I didn’t have to drive 30 miles to go get my trailer and truck to haul it back home, plus I have to swap to small tires to fit on my trailer, so for 30 bucks it’s good enough for me.

Then I went to napa today and got a pump from them and got it all back together with no leaks. I think the flare on the oreillys pump was trash, I didn’t cross thread it because I could easily thread it in and out by hand afterwards and it sealed fine on the second pump.

I hate oreillys!

13. Frankenchevy

Frankenchevy . Supporting Member

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    old
    Truck Model:
    pickup
    Engine Size:
    8 cylinder
    My Dad always told me Napa is the way to go if not oem. It’s always stuck with me. Napa is my go to. Everything else just seems extra chinesium.

PrairieDrifter likes this.
  14. PrairieDrifter

PrairieDrifter Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mason
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c10
    Engine Size:
    350, 350, 350
    I’ve always found the napa name laying around in many places in my grandpas garage. If he didn’t go to the dealership or my uncles shop, he went to napa.

Frankenchevy likes this.
  15. DoubleDingo

First Name:
    Shane
    Truck Year:
    1981, 1965
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    Installed the battery just as it was getting too dark to see last night. Poured some Motor-Purr Carburetor & Fuel Injector Cleaner in the tank, pumped the pedal a few times, and it fired right up. I need to check the coolant level since I suspect it will be low, and top off the ATF, and this sucker will be on the road again.