What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Oil and filter change for the 1st time. No suprises thank goodness.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
She's watching me move her parts around trying to get the garage halfway organized
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good girl. And she kept her mouth shut the whole time too didn't she?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oil and filter change for the 1st time. No suprises thank goodness.

Did you Seafoam it? I like to put 1/2 can of Seafoam in the crankcase for the last 500 miles or so before changing the oil and change it hot. Like about 15-20 minutes after I get home from somewhere so all the **** comes out. I do it about every other to every 3rd oil change on the 454. That motor is so clean, no kidding, I can pull the dipstick with 6000-8000 miles on the oil and it's still gold. I don't even bother changing it it's so clean. Full Synthetic, Mobil 1 Filter. I'll change it at 10,000 miles. I write the date and mileage on my oil filter when I change it. Last oil change I did, was 7800 miles, but it had been 17 months, yeah a year and 5 months, so I thought I'd better change just cause it had been so long. The oil was clean so I gave it to my brother to burn in his Honda Accord oil burner.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I thought I was changing the starter today; BUT, I ran into a delimma (see attached pic). So, how do I approach this? Starter still functions; however, I cooked it running about 100 mph for a while a couple months back. So, it cranks a lot slower now. I need to get a heat shield for the new one.

Also, is there supposed to be an open hole between oil pan and starter? Thx.

Attachments

• starte1.jpg
    starte1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 153

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
No seafoam yet. Wanted to just do a plain oil and filter change so I could see what they looked like and see if there was anything wrong. I was surprised a couple of months back when I pulled the valve covers how clean the rockers and all were. I expected a little gunk in there but they were clean as a pin.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No seafoam yet. Wanted to just do a plain oil and filter change so I could see what they looked like and see if there was anything wrong. I was surprised a couple of months back when I pulled the valve covers how clean the rockers and all were. I expected a little gunk in there but they were clean as a pin.

Cool. Doesn't sound like it needed Seafoamed then. I still do it every so often just to keep it that clean. People don't believe me when I tell them my oil is still gold 3,000, 4000 and 5,000 miles old so I let them get under it read the odo reading and filter on the date, then pull the distick. Not sure why they think I'd lie about that. :shrug: Full Synthetic and Mobil 1, not to mention the engine is in good shape so nothing is getting past the rings or the valve guides to dilute the oil.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I thought I was changing the starter today; BUT, I ran into a delimma (see attached pic). So, how do I approach this? Starter still functions; however, I cooked it running about 100 mph for a while a couple months back. So, it cranks a lot slower now. I need to get a heat shield for the new one.

Also, is there supposed to be an open hole between oil pan and starter? Thx.

What do you mean how do you approach it? The OEM heat shield is a PITA and why most people don't put them back on. They're not a bad idea. There is also the type that just snaps on over the solenoid to keep the wires from getting hot. So there is at least 2 different type I'm aware of.

I do believe that other hole is where it would normally be tapped for the other starter where the starter bolts are straight across instead of staggered like yours are. One size flexplate uses the staggered bolt starter, the straight across bolt starter is for a different size flexplate. There is 2 different size flexplates that are 1in in diameter different and you have to have the correct starter to match the flexplate size.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What do you mean how do you approach it? The OEM heat shield is a PITA and why most people don't put them back on. They're not a bad idea. There is also the type that just snaps on over the solenoid to keep the wires from getting hot. So there is at least 2 different type I'm aware of.

I do believe that other hole is where it would normally be tapped for the other starter where the starter bolts are straight across instead of staggered like yours are. One size flexplate uses the staggered bolt starter, the straight across bolt starter is for a different size flexplate. There is 2 different size flexplates that are 1in in diameter different and you have to have the correct starter to match the flexplate size.

Both the header and tranny cooling lines are in the way. How do I remove the starter with them in the way?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Undo the lines or the header, I made up my own lines to eliminate that problem.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

Will unhooking them cause fluid loss from the transmission? Unhooking seems to be the logical and easier route. It'll have to wait until next weekend at this point. Thanks!

Oldrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Mule got a cabin led light bulb today and I worked on the ventilation system.
I believe I have the defrost door working again so it will blow air on the windshield.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Will unhooking them cause fluid loss from the transmission? Unhooking seems to be the logical and easier route. It'll have to wait until next weekend at this point. Thanks!
Nope just a dribble, the lines are up above the fluid level.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Nope just a dribble, the lines are up above the fluid level.

Great to know, thanks! I had an '85 long bed with a 355 and that sucker kept chucking starters every week until I bought a heat shield for it. The PO also ran their own cooling lines which consisted of clear aquarium tubing. Let's just say those line failed after a 3.5 hour trip and I ended up putting on proper lines.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Great to know, thanks! I had an '85 long bed with a 355 and that sucker kept chucking starters every week until I bought a heat shield for it. The PO also ran their own cooling lines which consisted of clear aquarium tubing. Let's just say those line failed after a 3.5 hour trip and I ended up putting on proper lines.
Some people shouldn't have tools let alone be allowed to work on a vehicle, I make all lines out of AGS Poly Armour tubing easiest stuff to work with, flares/bends real nice and you can tweak it by hand easy for a perfect fit.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

My headers and lines were just out of the way enough to wiggle the starters in and out, I cook them as well lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666