What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
Took the day off yesterday so that the plumber could come. While waiting for him and his 9AM-1PM window, I went ahead and put a new water pump on. No leaks, no drips, no errors, and no more water pump pulley noise either. Hopefully, this will be that last big mechanical fix for a while. I still have a list of minor things, but nothing that should keep it off of the road.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Gotta be honest...ain't t done a damn thing. Always seems something else needs done.
Now it's 28 degrees. Went from 75 last Thurs to 28 this morning
Hate this sheit!!!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Spent way too many hours rebuilding my vent weindows only to be less than pleased with the results. Definitely not a job that i would ever wish to repeat. Also replaced all of the door rubber. That was a much easier job with much better looking results. Got it all together, took it for a test drive to see how much wind noise it made (still too much for my liking), get back and the water pump has a steady stream coming out of the weep hole.

On a side note, I still don't have my title that I applied for back in July. Made a call today and the county tax office has no idea either.
Sounds like deja vu for my #Squarelife, lol. Right down to the coolant leak and the title issues, lol!

Coolant leak is a bit of a mystery though. Noticed a little drip/puddle on the driveway twice while it was parked outside last week.
Radiator is full, still some coolant in the puke tank (but never really paid attention to how much was in it before) but now been parking it in the garage again with occasional driving this week and not a drop on the floor. Was dead center too so water pump was first thing that came to mind. I'm going with lucky and ignorance is bliss for now...
Title issue is about to resolve thanks to more luck in finding a previous owner who's name was on the title I got when I purchased it.

Wing windows are another story. They look great, don't leak ANY water from garden hose spray or sitting in the rain and I cured most of the wind noise with one well placed little piece of foam weatherstripping that is not visible when the window is closed. But certianly give it that old truck "feel" still... lol.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not so much what I did but what I learned.
I shared that I spoke with one of the old owners who filled in a ton of the blanks in the history. Including the big one, the how and why it ended up with a roller 454 in it.
Guy has no reason to lie to me so I think it ended up being a bonus on my part.
Story goes, he bought it with a 454 swapped in, from his buddy, sounds like the truck was basically a daily driver up til around 2017. Don’t know how it was used from 2018 when he traded it until 2020 when we bought it. But 2019 it basically just sat with occasional use by the last owner before us.

Guy I talked to replaced the tired 454 with what he says was a Goodwrench crate mark VI long block from another buddy who had a 1 ton dump truck for his business.
Dump truck blew the engine. Dealer put new crate motor in it. Buddy noticed it used some oil. Knowing his employees drove the dump truck and risk of not checking oil enough, guy gave up on the old dump truck with new engine. He said the dump truck was hammered and guy decided enough was enough and parted it out. My guy bought the basically new engine and put it in the 86. Direct swap. Long block. Explains why some stuff for the big block looks older than it would practically be for that engine.
My guy then lifted the truck and had plans to restore it. Didn’t daily it much after that until trading it in, in 2018.
He surmised that when he got rid of the truck it had maybe 20k on the new GM engine.
If that’s true it explains why the valve covers (stock) look old, exhaust is 20 years old, but the engine doesn’t. And he’s right it’s a typical L29 oil sucker. Doesn’t leak, no blue smoke, but likes oil.

Whoever hauled a camper with it was prior to my guy and his other buddy the previous owner. He said since the 90s the truck has been just a daily. Spent a lot of years just back and forth to the local lumber mill short trips not a lot of miles. This is consistent with the general condition I received it in. And pretty much verifies the mileage is around 160k on the chassis.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Wish I could say drove it but that ship sailed months ago (first part of august) when we started on our roof/remodeling project. Can't even look at it since its out at the in-laws in their shop while I've consumed almost all useable space in the garage at home for everything remodeling related. Kind of depressing to think I put less than 250 miles on it this year. With the cold weather already set in here and the first winter snow putting salt on the roads I have to make a serious decision to just keep it out there for the winter or hope for a decent day once I have the garage back in order to drive it back home for the winter.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I'm taking my hedders to the shop today to have them put on and check out where he's at on the truck. Trans is in with new driveshaft. See if he's got the headlights issue fixed.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
More work on the floor mat! Heat gun is a must have! lots of humps and bumps to smooth out. going slow so I don't have any more screw ups! drivers side is all pinned down and getting the passenger side to fit. Good thing this ain't a show truck!!

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Got these for my nice 'burb today...They're heavy as all get out.
You must be registered for see images attach

My Bride asks me what do I want for Christmas. I tell her I've spent a fortune in parts, I've had a good Christmas all year!

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Hedders are at the shop. It's all ready except for the hedders installation. I'll be getting it back the week after Thanksgiving. Can't wait till then. Lol

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Gave mine a bath yesterday after doing 4500mi to AZ and back lol
You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah, but wasn't Dino's a killer event ??

wnash

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Got it ready to send the cab to body shop in 2 weeks to have the fire wall smoothed out then sending out to the chassis shop it goes.

Attachments

• 10-8.3.jpeg
    10-8.3.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 10-9 final.jpeg
    10-9 final.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 10-15.1.jpeg
    10-15.1.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 10-15.2.jpeg
    10-15.2.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 42
  • LS7 blacked out.jpg
    LS7 blacked out.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They're used, been blasted and powder coated. Got then from ebay, $64 apiece.
Now to find some caps...

Nice! Dig the classic stock look.

Good part is, you have a Chevy and it seems like the 3/4 ton bow tie caps are the most plentiful and least expensive.
Front 4wd caps with the knockout are harder to find for sure. Dunno if yours is a 4wd or not. But out here in the land of a lot of clean Squares I hit up all the want adds for a year or more with no success for the front caps. Buddy found a set at the neighbors garage sale!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84