What gaskets are needed for stock exhaust manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I installed a new set of heads, and now I have an exhaust leak on the passenger side where the heat riser is installed on the stock manifold. Clearance is tight around the flange, but I think I got it tight.

When I pulled off the manifold there was no gasket between the heat riser and the flange above, only the round gasket where the header pipe connects. However, I've looked online and there are three-bolt gaskets that look they would fit between the heat riser and the flange. This is the type of gasket I mean https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2589708&cc=1159073&jsn=525.

The header pipe seals into the heat riser using the standard round gasket, so it seems like there may be somthing needed on top of the heat riser. Maybe I was just lucky enough before to get it to seal without a gasket.

Should there be a gasket between the heat riser and the flange above it?

Bruce

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The ones I've pulled apart in the past didn't have a gasket.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I took the header pipe loose today and it looks like the heat riser did not fully seat up against the flange when I installed it, so there was a gap and its leaking. A gasket may have helped, but its hard to tell.

Now I'm wondering if I need the heat riser installed at all. My new heads do not have a heat crossover, so I won't get any carb heat when the riser is closed. I'll have to take look at the fitting on the end of the manifold and see if it designed for a round gasket and direct connection of the exhaust pipe to the manifold.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes