What are these things? Overhead heat/air system!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodhook

Reaction score
First Name
Barney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I will add 2 photos that will show my problem. The small wire connected to that block, comes from the air conditioner and then goes through the firewall and connects to these two resistors/relays/fuses, (whatever they are) above the brake pedal. I've already installed a new wiring harness and it doesn't show any connection to these two resistor things. I don't have a degree in electrical engineering nor have I ever worked for NASA. If I do indeed need to use these two resistor things, how do I correctly power them up? I love my square body and hope to be buried in it someday but sometimes I think Moe and Larry must have been engineers at GM at some point!!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 100_5054.JPG
    100_5054.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 105

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
The pic on the left has an aftermarket circuit breaker added into the system and bolted to the firewall. The second pic is a switch of some sort on the brake/clutch pedal assembly. I don't know exactly what that because it's not for cruise control or the park/neutral safety switch.

Strickland

Woodhook

Reaction score
First Name
Barney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The little relay/breaker hanging down on the left picture is actually the same silver relay/breaker in the right picture, installed under the dash. I'm going to remove the heater/ac control and see if the ends of these wires would connect to the fan switch. I'm sure I'm going to have to connect some of these wires to 12v in order to power the blower motor. FYI, the picture on the right is before I started the removal, left one is me trying to figure out where everything goes.

Woodhook

Reaction score
First Name
Barney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I went inside the truck and removed the other relay/breaker and I plugged both of them in the wiring harness where they go. The little wire on the right is the one that connects to the engine side of the firewall. The rest of these are inside the cab. The two ends of this wiring harness are identical! Even the wires are the same colors. I've checked the fan switch, wiper switch, light switch, and I can't find any connector that would even accept these ends. Could this be something GM installed for other models that might have electric windows, door locks, cruise control, etc. Any help would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 59
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 55

Woodhook

Reaction score
First Name
Barney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’ve searched the light duty truck service manual and I think this is the wiring harness for the overhead heat/air unit in suburban models. It makes sense that the 3 connectors on one end of that harness pictured are exactly the same as the other end. The overhead unit has two blower motors which are feed by the two ends. I’m not sure why my truck was ever wired this way.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Are you sure it's not a power lock relay? Is this a truck or Suburban?

Woodhook

Reaction score
First Name
Barney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It’s a truck. The vin plate on the door jam is hard to read. I’ve looked at my insurance papers and tried to search for the correct data, but nothing will come up. I can see the words “camper loading data” on the plate, not sure if that is on all the square bodies. One other thing I found out is the front differential is corporate. I had some trouble finding the correct chrome cover and gasket. Is there any other place to find the vin?

Gilmore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
The second set of wires in your photo string of 4 photos is your electric door harness and relay. Do not throw them away unless you are upgrading.

Woodhook

Reaction score
First Name
Barney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My truck don’t have any power to the doors, but maybe it was wired for it. I’ll hang on to the harness but I’m not planning on using it. Thanks,

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size