Selling My Sidekick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Hi All!

As I posted in the lounge, I am selling my truck. It is a 1985 GMC K2500. I have had it for 21 years and have many memories with it! I love the truck, but it is now more truck than I need. I hate to get rid of it, BUT, I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it, and where else would that be than the fine guys and gals on this board (I really hole it goes to some one here!). Over the years I have done A LOT to this truck.

I am going to list the highlights of the truck, in no specific order since it will be easiest this way:

454 rebuilt some years ago, .030 over, hypereutectic factory replacement pistons, Vortec heads, Edelbrock Performer EGR intake, with freshly rebuilt quadrajet bolted on last night. I recently replaced the cam with a Lunati Voodoo cam. The block is a 2 bolt out of a motor home with ARP main studs. It also has a 7 quart oil pan and Thorley Tri-Y headers with air injection. It has an oil cooler and power steering cooler. It has a power steering filter and coolant filter.

The truck has two batteries with a Painless Wiring relay kit.

The truck has the venerable SM465 trans. It has a 10 spline main shaft attached to an NP205 case with a 32 spline front output and 1350 yoke. From there, it connects to the rear end with a 2 piece shaft.

The rear end is a 14 bolt with a Grizzly Locker and 4.56 gears. It has 13x3.5 rear drum brakes.

The front end is a Dana 60 with a 1350 yoke. It has a Power trax drop in locker and 4.56 gears. The front also has Warn Premium hubs. The brakes are dual piston calipers (I also have the old single piston calipers as well).

It has hydro boost and a C3500HD master with a 40mm bore.

Suspension consists of 4 inch lift front springs and year old 1+ ton rear springs. I cannot lie, it is bumpy, but can haul 2000 pounds with no squat.

It has a front sway bar and I was able to adapt a factory rear sway bar to it.

The truck has a home made onboard air system consisting of a York compressor leading to a 5 gallon tank under the bed. It has fittings for air tools and a regulated air source. It also powers air horns and is monitored by a factory air gauge in the dash.

Tires are 315/75r16 Armstrong’s mounted on aluminum aftermarket wheels and balanced with beads. The tires are a few months old.

Interior is fair. Carpet is a couple years old and in good shape, and the seat has wear, but not worn through. Couple of burns and cuts in the headliner. It has power windows and door locks which work. The truck also has a factory medium duty tach and fuel gauge. The factory AM/FM/Cassette radio works, but the timer knob slips from time to time while changing stations. The truck also has an electromagnetic gun rack behind the seat.

It has a Craftsman tool box, which is less than 2 years old. The bed has a plastic liner and rubber mat. The truck has a hydraulic crane in the bed (which has saved my back).

Oh, it has a 12,000 pound Harbor Freight winch in the front and a rear step bumper.

I also have a lot of extra parts including front and rear bearing kits and 3.73 gears with associated gears for both axles.

Cons:

The engine has a sticking lifter. I replaced them when I did the cam (Jegs). I have a new set of Melling anti pump lifters and intake gasket set to go in.

3rd gear synchronizer is a little worn. It will grind on occasion, if shifted too fast (not all the time).

Minor rust spot under windshield molding. About 3”x3” piece of firewall cracked near parking brake cable. I cut it out, riveted in sheet metal, and reinforced it. The body has small dents, minor rust bubbles on the hood, and minor rust on one of the cab corners. It is spray painted multiple shades of black.

AC does not work. I replaced the system last year except for the compressor and condenser. I charged it and it leaked out from the area of the evaporator. I never bothered to chase down the problem.

It will likely have problems with smog in California. Out of California, please check your smog laws.

I THINK I have covered all of it. After all these years, it is easy to forget some things. I am doing my best to give the most honest descriptions and would be happy to answer questions or send more photos.

I am asking $6000 obo. If this is out of line, please let me know! I am not going to be the guy who says, “I know what I have...” and be hard nosed. I know I am taking a heck of a hit, but need space and want it to go to a good home.

I am attaching some photos and will get more.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
I got a chance to grab a few more pictures, and figured I would throw them up here first before it goes to eBay.

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
And a few more...

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
And last set.

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Okay, and price drop to $5000! If all goes well I have 2 vehicles coming home soon and can really use the space!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
$5k??
At $250 a day price drop, I’ll be down to get it in approximately 10 days!

That seems like a $5-6k truck all day long, however, if you’ve only advertised it here, that is not helping your chances of selling it.
Its hard to tell and the market is what someone will pay for it.
Truck has ALOT of good in it and also needs a lot of work for someone who’d be restoring it or at least fixing it up.
For comparison, I gave $7500 for the ‘86. It “looked” nicer but just as in it had matching old paint.
No way I’d consider any less than $5k and if you put it on Craigslist I’d be asking 7k plus.

Also, I’d take the Sierra classic badges off your hands for some beer money if you’re just selling it to someone who’s gonna wheel it.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I was heavy interested in this truck until i saw CA... :(

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
$5k??
At $250 a day price drop, I’ll be down to get it in approximately 10 days!

That seems like a $5-6k truck all day long, however, if you’ve only advertised it here, that is not helping your chances of selling it.
Its hard to tell and the market is what someone will pay for it.
Truck has ALOT of good in it and also needs a lot of work for someone who’d be restoring it or at least fixing it up.
For comparison, I gave $7500 for the ‘86. It “looked” nicer but just as in it had matching old paint.
No way I’d consider any less than $5k and if you put it on Craigslist I’d be asking 7k plus.

Also, I’d take the Sierra classic badges off your hands for some beer money if you’re just selling it to someone who’s gonna wheel it.
$5k for that over here in PA is a STEAL!!!!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Nonstop- you just made me very very sad... I *just* spent $5,050 to pay off my wife's car early.

:(

Was that a wise decision? Some would say so, but I'm kicking myself. That is a great truck.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
6K is a steal. 5k is giving it away. Post it on ebay and watch the price go beyond 6K
At least here in TX junk is going for stupid money now:shrug:. You might be selling at the wrong time also. Most folks are broke. GLWS!!!:cheers:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Nice truck good luck with sale