What am I looking at?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh wow, but air flow is fine without these things, right?

Yes, air flow was fine through them. I think it was something along the lines of another filter as they are little taller than the older air cleaners. Or something to do with helping smog or some crap.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Oh wow, but air flow is fine without these things, right?
Obviously airflow could only get better without one. It probably doesn't hurt your flow much, but having an extra layer in there can't possibly make more air get in there.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Is there an RPO for it in your glove box? Looks like a pre filter for high dust environments or snow.

Where's @Keith Seymore when you need him?

Kevin James

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Let me get this straight, it runs fine the way it is but you want to mess with it?
I was just curious to know what it was exactly since I had never seen anything like before.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Spark Arrestor??

Perry has the correct answer. It is a spark arrestor. Part of the deceleration system on those year trucks.

Not a pre-filter as it behind the paper element. That is when GM went with the taller air filter to make sure the was enough air flow. Also, not all tall filters had the spark arrester.

86 SCOTTSDALE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Armand
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome from Mass. My air cleaner still has one.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
It's part of your fuel evap system. It's filled with charcoal and absorbs fuel vapors when you are not running. If you look at the bottom of the air cleaner, there should also be a hose fitting to connect to the rest of your evap system. It works along with your charcoal canister. In California, you will fail your smog test if you remove it.

Jimmy84

Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC k5
Engine Size
5.7l
I'm of the mindset that the engineers put it there for a reason so you should leave it in place.
C30 needs torque, not high end air flow. IMHO.
If you don't want to live with it, you may try to sell it as is.

Step

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado 3/4 ton
Engine Size
Hello everyone, I’m new to this site and I’m also a new owner of a 1981 C30 crew cab. When I removed the air filter I noticed this weird “heat shield” that was glued on. Has anybody seen anything like this? What’s the purpose?

You must be registered for see images attach
My 86 454 3/4 ton had that.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
OPs getting a lot of **** for asking a basic question LOL. trying to get more air into the intake is like the most common “upgrade” made. It’s not unreasonable for him to ask if removing it would help. Engineers engineered **** for smog reasons a lot and not for efficiency. And sometimes for efficiency but suffered a few mpg. Also they would sacrifice both power and efficiency for cost cuts.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
OPs getting a lot of **** for asking a basic question LOL. trying to get more air into the intake is like the most common “upgrade” made. It’s not unreasonable for him to ask if removing it would help. Engineers engineered **** for smog reasons a lot and not for efficiency. And sometimes for efficiency but suffered a few mpg. Also they would sacrifice both power and efficiency for cost cuts.

Yeah, but as others have pointed out... he's in California, so he actually has to pay attention to all of the "emissions ********" or they wont let him register or drive his truck.

Can he remove it? Sure, if he knows a friendly smog referee that isn't going to do a proper inspection or test.

Should he remove it? Probably not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmattly