What a 5.3 4L60-E Looks like in a Square

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I didn't even think to pay attention to that. I was to damn excited getting to play with the truck. I even started it up and drove on the roll back and drove it off. Fugger sounded damn good even with open manifolds. Sounded like a smooth running boat motor. Pretty damn responsive too. I meant to get a better pic of the gas pedal too. It's not OEM but is an aftermarket drive by wire pedal assembly.

Lokar has a nice bolt on E pedal. I wish I could find an add on E throttle setup...kinda tired of messing with binding cables.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Hey Pops, did you have any issues with the pass side drop on the T case when you installed the 4l80?

Im not sure i quite understand what your asking?

My transfercase was from a 91 burb (np241) same as what came in the gmt400's except the passengerside drop. They are a direct bolt on. EXCEPT there are 2 different input shafts in them. Depending on if your going with a 4l60E or a 4L80E.

The input shafts have the same OD and use the same input seal, but the splines are different between the 2 of them. I was lucky to have found the transfercase out of the burb that had the 4L80E from the factory so mine was a simple install.

You may have to have another 241 TC and swap the input shafts around depending on which 241 you end up with and what transmission you are using?

Make since of all that rambling? 4:30am was along damn time ago

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Lokar has a nice bolt on E pedal. I wish I could find an add on E throttle setup...kinda tired of messing with binding cables.

Cant you take the DBW pedal assembly from the OEM trucks and adapt them to our squares?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Just get the Turtle<<<<<>>>>>Rabbit cable and lever off your lawn mower and drill another small hole thru the firewall. This ensures that cruise control works good too. Set it to Turtle in the school zones, and Rabbit on the highway !!! :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
those ARE f-body manifolds.

This has got to be one of the cleanest LS swaps i've seen, it looks factory.

x2! It's about the only time I think I'd prefer the manifolds over headers on a square because of how clean it makes the install look.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Im not sure i quite understand what your asking?

My transfercase was from a 91 burb (np241) same as what came in the gmt400's except the passengerside drop. They are a direct bolt on. EXCEPT there are 2 different input shafts in them. Depending on if your going with a 4l60E or a 4L80E.

The input shafts have the same OD and use the same input seal, but the splines are different between the 2 of them. I was lucky to have found the transfercase out of the burb that had the 4L80E from the factory so mine was a simple install.

You may have to have another 241 TC and swap the input shafts around depending on which 241 you end up with and what transmission you are using?

Make since of all that rambling? 4:30am was along damn time ago
Thats what I wanted to know... shaft differences, Etc. My 208 should work if the 241 works. I was worried about adaptors and how it would bolt up to the newer trans.

Cant you take the DBW pedal assembly from the OEM trucks and adapt them to our squares?
You would think so, I have not been able to find much info on DBW. Some say its part of the PCM, others say its a stand alone system. actuators for Carb or TBI may also be a challenge, as I dont know if the current servos will handle opening a double springed throttle, and pull a TV cable at the same time. I would have to gather some parts to find out.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Thats what I wanted to know... shaft differences, Etc. My 208 should work if the 241 works. I was worried about adaptors and how it would bolt up to the newer trans.

You would think so, I have not been able to find much info on DBW. Some say its part of the PCM, others say its a stand alone system. actuators for Carb or TBI may also be a challenge, as I dont know if the current servos will handle opening a double springed throttle, and pull a TV cable at the same time. I would have to gather some parts to find out.

what are you doing? 4L60E, or 4L80E? motor? injection? Have I missed your build thread or are you still planning?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
what are you doing? 4L60E, or 4L80E? motor? injection? Have I missed your build thread or are you still planning?

Pondering.
5.3 and 4l80e...someday.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Pondering.
5.3 and 4l80e...someday.

then aslong as your Transfercase was from a TH400 you will have no problems. If It is from a 700R4 You will just have to change the input shafts. Which is EASY to do, just have to tear the Transfercase down. I actually just got done with mine about an hour ago. Had to replace the Planatary gear set in mine.

bulldog69

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I towed this truck from the shop that did the conversion to the muffler shop. The older guy that owned the truck was the original owner of the truck. Hadn't driven it for several years since he had bought a newer pick up. He always missed his old truck, so when it came time for another new pick up, rather than buy new, he just did the modern update to his old square. He said, Body and Paint shop was in the very near future, but it wouldn't be immediately since he wanted to the drive it with the new powertrain for awhile before he cut loose of it again for awhile.
I think these guys did a helluva good job routing and adding the wiring to this truck. OEM fans were said to be off an 05 set up that was OEM electric fans, and I think he said the powertrain was 06. Certainly to be a nice truck when complete. I was drooling the whole time. :drool:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Used the OEM Crossmember too. :waytogo:
attachment.php

Dakota Digital Instrumentation :waytogo:
attachment.php

attachment.php
looks good..

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
then aslong as your Transfercase was from a TH400 you will have no problems. If It is from a 700R4 You will just have to change the input shafts. Which is EASY to do, just have to tear the Transfercase down. I actually just got done with mine about an hour ago. Had to replace the Planatary gear set in mine.

I will be changing shafts then, my 208 is only 2 years old...has maybe 1700 miles on it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Does the NP208 Not have to be machined out for a bigger bearing to use the 32 spline input shaft? Just asking, very possible that it doesn't. Hopefully by then, NP had it figured out to make the shafts easily swapped. I'd imagine you would have to change the bearing though or no?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Does the NP208 Not have to be machined out for a bigger bearing to use the 32 spline input shaft? Just asking, very possible that it doesn't. Hopefully by then, NP had it figured out to make the shafts easily swapped. I'd imagine you would have to change the bearing though or no?

well Im not 100% sure on the NP208. The NP241C was used behind both the 700R4 and the 4L80E (TH400 output shaft) so the 2 shafts are interchangable in that transfercase. As far as the input bearing is concerned it is possable to have to change the bearing also. But not always. They used 2 different Input bearings in the 241, and NOT because of the different input shafts, The OD of BOTH bearings are the same as well as the ID, the difference is the thickness, 1 is a 16mm thick bearing, and the other is a 24mm thick bearing.

The Transfercase in my truck originally had the 16mm bearing, but the planetary set i just had to swap in today was from a transfercase that had the 24mm bearing. I just had to swap the planet gear and the 24mm bearing. WELL actually I could have just swapped the planetary gear itself and reused my input shaft but the needle bearing inside my shaft was a little noisey sa well as my input bearing so I opted to change them both out.

Back to your question though. As long as the NP208 was available behind the TH400 then the input shaft will be an easy fix with NO machining required.

Can you make sence of all that rambling?

Ok just researched it a little. As I am sure you already know the 208 was available behind the TH400 aswell as the sm465, both of which used the 32 spline input shaft. The input bearings so far are the same, The shaft is available from here: http://www.tbtrans.com/transfer_case.htm#chevy_parts the part number is 15112 item number 32 on the illustration. Price is $83.75 plus shipping.

Last edited:

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i have that fan set up in my new 07 and i was wondering if it would fit a square

i might try it in my 90 crew cab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64