Welding a G80 posi's spider gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Since my discovery of worn out side gear clutches in my rear end, and the terrible whine from all the spider gear slop, i will be replacing the unit with a yukon duragrip posi.

That said, i will be temporarily welding the diff solid like a spool until it arrives.

Can i just simply weld the spider gears at all 4 corners? Or will i need to remove the governor **** also to make it like a "open diff"

Some advice before i kick my own teeth thru. Never done this on a G80 posi. Just open diff.

@HotRodPC maybe?

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I would think welding the gears would still let the clutches slip, right? Would that actually solve anything?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I would think welding the gears would still let the clutches slip, right? Would that actually solve anything?

What are you asking?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
What are you asking?

I'm asking what you are actually trying to achieve... is it bad because the spiders are all worn out? I thought you just had worn clutch packs. If its whining because the spiders are completely worn out then yeah, just put some flat stock or something solid between the gears and weld the heck out of it. Make sure you get the gears super clean with Acetone and then go to town.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I'm asking what you are actually trying to achieve... is it bad because the spiders are all worn out? I thought you just had worn clutch packs. If its whining because the spiders are completely worn out then yeah, just put some flat stock or something solid between the gears and weld the heck out of it. Make sure you get the gears super clean with Acetone and then go to town.

The burnt out clutches are so far gone, the spider and side gears aren't but halfway engaged. Im just trying to keep the piece of **** together for a couple more days until the posi unit arrives.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
If i dont weld it, it could explode, putting me out of gears, a carrier, and whatever else.

If i weld it, and am polite to it, itll last for another week, or less, then i just swap the licoln locker carrier for the yukon posi, and just reset backlash

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The burnt out clutches are so far gone, the spider and side gears aren't but halfway engaged. Im just trying to keep the piece of **** together for a couple more days until the posi unit arrives.

Interesting... when looking at an exploded view diagram I didn't think the clutches actually held the spider gears together. It's my understanding that the spiders should be permanently held together by pins that don't move and the clutches just smooth the engagement from the spiders to the axle itself... make sure you take pics... i'm interested in seeing how it actually goes together. If those spiders are all F'd up and not meshing right, then by all means weld em up.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I am not sure.
All I have to go on is this partial disassembled "exploded view" set of photos that I took....

You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I am not sure.
All I have to go on is this partial disassembled "exploded view" set of photos that I took....

Ive done that a couple times lol.
To the s10 7.875 or w/e, and a 10 bolt 8.5"
Desperately trying to do that to a 14 bolt, tho unlikely.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I am not sure.

That is one way to get those hard to remove governor parts out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay