Weird suspension component

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Why do I have small coils around my bump stops on my rear corp 10 bolt. I'm trying to figure out how to upload pics from my iPad...

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Could be that the previous owner had the back of it loaded down often and bottomed it out from time to time? The stock rubber bumpstops on the axle are now old and not very soft. When you hit them it normally hits pretty hard. I bought softer progressive rubber/urethane ones for the front of my truck. Now if I bottom out it nicely "squishes" them down instead of a direct hard impact.
I know they have oil filled shock absorber type bumpstops, and have also seem some small coil spring types. Different color springs meant how stiff/hard they could take an impact.

Basically just something to progressively stop the axle from moving upward is my guess.

You don't jump it a lot do you?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Why do I have small coils around my bump stops on my rear corp 10 bolt. I'm trying to figure out how to upload pics from my iPad...

I love to see a picture of said stops

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'm still in the process of welding my doors shut and building a ramp on the side so I can slide across the hood.

Attachments

• bumpstop.jpg
    bumpstop.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 99

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Oh wow- those are bigger than I was thinking. The spring bump stops I've seen are not attached at each end. They are just bolted onto the frame.

I'd guess someone put those in as almost like a helper spring for more load carrying, or to help level it out.

I'm also wondering if that coil spring was fully compressed if you can even still hit the bumpstop. I don't think you could.

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Oh wow- those are bigger than I was thinking. The spring bump stops I've seen are not attached at each end. They are just bolted onto the frame.

I'd guess someone put those in as almost like a helper spring for more load carrying, or to help level it out.

I'm also wondering if that coil spring was fully compressed if you can even still hit the bumpstop. I don't think you could.

I can assure you after hauling an azzload of bathroom tile in the back, the bumpstop does not hit. I think this may be causing a fishtail situation. The rear has coilovers, a hellwig stabilizer bar, and these coils. Seems like the rear gets a little wild when passing semi trucks. Look how the springs have seats though, almost factory. Was there some heavy duty tow option on some of these? I know later models got something called a heavy half ton?

That's a really crappy photo. Ill get some better ones in a few minutes.

Last edited:

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
don't know about the fish tailing, but those are a type of overload spring I remember them from back in the day. one of our trailers have them. highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85