Weird knock under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

it sounds perfectly fine for the most part until it bites then it make a knock pretty damn loud inside the cab

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Knock Knock. Who's there? LS. LS who? Lets Swap dat motor, dat hoo.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Im not denying it could be an engine problem, but the fact it isnt all the time as he just said and then the it doesnt happen in park or neutral, but in gear it does, makes me think trans. But no matter how you cut that, it seems like that determines something has to come out regardless. However, for his question on the inspection cover, if you crawl under your truck you should see a lower half of the bellhousing have a distinct cover of some kind. maybe a torque rod attached to it.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
it doesn't make the noise in neutral either, and my shifter is a little finicky, when i try to go into reverse i have to wiggle the shifter around a little in order to get into reverse sometimes. and one time i went to shift and the indicator didn't move at all but the shifter moved, then it slapped into place.
My indicator doesn't work. It's just pulled over from a little cable connected to the needle from the steering column . Also has a return spring. The trans can shift flawlessly without that indicator moving. I have to just count the spots I move the shifter or by feel. So don't focus on that needle.

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
I took off the old glasspack someone had put on the truck and the knock has gone away. I think it might have been that saying that there was a good 4 inches of movement up and down om the exhaust. there is a tick at idle but its very faint. would you still be able to hear a knock straight piped? the glasspack also down sized the exhaust size by like .5 inches or more

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I took off the old glasspack someone had put on the truck and the knock has gone away. I think it might have been that saying that there was a good 4 inches of movement up and down om the exhaust. there is a tick at idle but its very faint. would you still be able to hear a knock straight piped? the glasspack also down sized the exhaust size by like .5 inches or more
Interesting... what do you mean by the movement, you could lift it? are your mounts in good shape? for exhaust and engine/trans

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
Interesting... what do you mean by the movement, you could lift it? are your mounts in good shape? for exhaust and engine/trans
Like my exhaust could move up some. My cat is laying on something ill send a pic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gord