Weird knock under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
it doesn't make a noise in park or neutral
That tells me your transmission is the source of the noise, then. YOur engine wouldnt care if it was in park or first gear or at a stop etc if you were dealing with some severe damage. LOAD potentially.. POtentially.. but it gets more nitpicky when you follow that path. the issue not being around in neutral and park tells me its going away when not trying to make your truck move

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
Is your TV cable adjusted properly? you said noises and stuff, and I realize your 4.3v6 probably has a 700r4. Is your carburetor stock?
carb seems to be stock and its got an old 3 speed and i do really have to smash on the gas to get it to downshift

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
carb seems to be stock and its got an old 3 speed and i do really have to smash on the gas to get it to downshift
seems to be or is? Can you show a pic of the carb and the linkage? If you have a TH400 you would have a switch by your... uh... gas pedal? Frick i cant rememeber, eitehr there would be an electrical switch at the carb or at the gas pedal. You may see a linkeage with a slotted loop, that would indicate a th350. but if you see a cable that is fine like a wire with a teardrop end, it may be a th350 but it is mostl ikely 700r4. does your shifter have PRND(L2)(L1) or maybe PRNOD21 or etc , show us that carb and stuff. electronic carb? 2 barrel?

lots of fun stuff for 85/86

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
You must be registered for see images attach

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
im currently at work rn but theres my vaccum diagram and the carb matches right up too that so im sure its stock. my shifter has PRND21, currently at work atm so i cant provide any pictures of the carb. im pretty sure its a mechanical carb because i can hear the accelerator pump squirting when i move the linkage

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
seems to be or is? Can you show a pic of the carb and the linkage? If you have a TH400 you would have a switch by your... uh... gas pedal? Frick i cant rememeber, eitehr there would be an electrical switch at the carb or at the gas pedal. You may see a linkeage with a slotted loop, that would indicate a th350. but if you see a cable that is fine like a wire with a teardrop end, it may be a th350 but it is mostl ikely 700r4. does your shifter have PRND(L2)(L1) or maybe PRNOD21 or etc , show us that carb and stuff. electronic carb? 2 barrel?

lots of fun stuff for 85/86
A th400 behind a 4.3? An even better candidate for an LS Swap!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
im currently at work rn but theres my vaccum diagram and the carb matches right up too that so im sure its stock. my shifter has PRND21, currently at work atm so i cant provide any pictures of the carb. im pretty sure its a mechanical carb because i can hear the accelerator pump squirting when i move the linkage
I think the electronic carb has an accelerator pump
A th400 behind a 4.3? An even better candidate for an LS Swap!
II remmeber reading that any 4.3 would have a 3 speed would be a th400 since the th350c was dropped for whenvever they did.

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Heres it idiling in park and being revved.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Heres it idiling in park and being revved.
now i dont know what to tell you as far as internal to a th400 or a possible th350 swap(Maybe?) but you shoudl show us that carburetor while you were out there....

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
is it possible for an engine knock to only happen while in gear? Dumb question but i gotta know

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
Broken flexplate.
it doesnt make the noise all the time in gear. for instance when i pulled in my driveway when i hit the snow the knock stopped happening when the tires were spinning a lil

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I'm betting based off of your descriptions and what I hear that's a spark/timing knock. Pull the distributor cap off, remove the rotor and I bet you find the advance weights, springs, pins and bushings are completely south of cheese. I believe that year still uses that style of distributor and isn't electronic. If it is a mechanical/vacuum advance type distributor, what happens is when its revved up or idling high, centrifugal force throws the weights out to a "normal" position for spark/timing advance but as it idles back down the weights come in and due to everything being worn out it overthrows them too far the other way and then the timing goes out of whack and makes it sound like dieseling/knocking. I've also see weights get stuck open on pins and bushings that are worn out as well. I didn't read through the other posts, but that's one of the places where i'd look and then invest in a tune up and possibly a new distributor and go from there.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350

Latest posts