water got in engine... help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Hello all, Its been a while since ive posted here but I need some help. I was off roading and I accidently got a bunch of muddy water up the intake and it stopped the engine. I have since removed the spark plugs to get out the water, drained the oil/water, and replaced the starter too (it messed the old one up). I am getting spark but the engine wont crank. Also the engine seems to rotate freely when I try to crank it (as you would imagine turning over an engine without heads would be). Any ideas what may be wrong? or is it time to get a new engine...?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Im thinking you ****** up your rods......

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Do a compression check first to confirm the worst. From there you will know if the engine is able to be saved or not.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Is the carb full of mud? Also, ATF is good for getting water out. Drail oil/water, fill with atf, possibly crank/don't start, drain. Fill with oil. Water will go into solution with ATF.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
You mentioned that the "engine won't crank" and that it "turns over freely" , so does it turn over too easily with the plugs installed ( as if there is no compression ), but doesn't fire and attempt to start ??

You can pull a spark plug then hold a finger over the hole while cranking to see if you have compression ( NO - means serious damage).

Water alone isn't a death toll , but when the engine ingests it while running means that it probably hydro-locked and did damage. Whether or not you need a completely new engine depends on your ability.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
You mentioned that the "engine won't crank" and that it "turns over freely" , so does it turn over too easily with the plugs installed ( as if there is no compression ), but doesn't fire and attempt to start ??

You can pull a spark plug then hold a finger over the hole while cranking to see if you have compression ( NO - means serious damage).

Water alone isn't a death toll , but when the engine ingests it while running means that it probably hydro-locked and did damage. Whether or not you need a completely new engine depends on your ability.

yes I have the spark plugs in and it still turns over freely but wont start.
Seeing as I am in school, and dont have a ton of time and money, Ill probably just replace it. Ive found a running 305 on craigslist, asking $200 (conveniently from an 86 k10)

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
yes I have the spark plugs in and it still turns over freely but wont start.
Seeing as I am in school, and dont have a ton of time and money, Ill probably just replace it. Ive found a running 305 on craigslist, asking $200 (conveniently from an 86 k10)

Make sure to check over the 305 before going thru the trouble of stabbing it in. Check the gaskets and check for timing chain slack, easier to replace something now instead of after installation. Nowadays it's probably best to check the cam and lifters too.

Not the fastest or cheapest way to get back on the road , but cheaper and better in the long run !