Warn brush guard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
It mounts to the frame rails via the bumper bolts. As was said, with grade 8 hardware, that's plenty stout enough.

Correct, the bumper like mine replaces the front bumper. The center pieces connects to brackets that connect to the frame rails directly, then the end pieces bolt on, and they are a stamped pieces that is much thinner, then there is a top cap that bolts to that and gives it the structural rigidity from impact (but not quite enough as you can tell. If you get the center pieces you can build off it whatever you like, and if you do it right you can even add your own brush gaurd. I'm in between houses at the moment but I pulled it out of the truck last night and set it aside in the garage and will take some pictures when I get home this evening.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I came across these pictures last night of the warn mount and sure enough, it looks like it only mounts with the 4 forward facing bolts through the bumper. I really would have though there would have been more to it. It looks really simple to make one, looks like the hardest part would be bending up a set of headlight guards. I may give it a shot.
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think you are looking at this the wrong way. It doesn't "only" mount to the 4 bumper bolts. It mounts directly to the frame horns with 4 bolts. Plenty strong. The bumper is simply sandwiched in between the frame and winch mount.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I think I would still want to fab up a stronger upper bracket or gusset the sides of the OEM bracket. I think it would be the weak link when you start pulling. The bottom would be fine as it bolts through the frame.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I think I would still want to fab up a stronger upper bracket or gusset the sides of the OEM bracket. I think it would be the weak link when you start pulling. The bottom would be fine as it bolts through the frame.

That’s what I’m concerned about, I know the lower two bolts go through the frame horns. Its the top two brackets that I worry about bending under pressure.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You could always built something similar to the 81 and up front bumper bracket, where it bolts through the vertical section of the frame rail.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Now there’s an idea... I’m wondering if the warn mounting kit would have included something like that?

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Dang that Poor 82... Not to mention they didn't make very many Short box Steppy 6.2 diesels :O

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
After doing some more digging, I finally found a link to the original mounting instructions. It turns out that the kit did in fact include stronger upper bumper braces. So that answers that question. Now the next question is do I want to hang a winch off the front of my clean, stock truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara