Wanted! 8 ft fleetisde wooden bed floor body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Preston Tucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looking for a hard to come by 8 ft wooden bed floor body to replace the one that originally came on my 1974 gmc k2500. Parted company with it a long time ago, picture for reference.
Condition doesn't matter, hit me up with what you got or pointers on where to find one.

You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ive honestly never seen a wood floor in a fleetside. Thats wild.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My dad said his 75 had one but he scrapped it in early 2000s as the metal rotted so badly to my understanding the floor is obviously different by the pan is gone but the under cross supports should all be the same, with the wheel tubs being extra obviously as you can see, and the tail pan is slightly different? But you can buy a kit

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My dad said his 75 had one but he scrapped it in early 2000s as the metal rotted so badly to my understanding the floor is obviously different by the pan is gone but the under cross supports should all be the same, with the wheel tubs being extra obviously as you can see, and the tail pan is slightly different? But you can buy a kit

No part of the wood floor is shared with the traditional metal floor other than the two small, short supports in the middle. The 6 cross supports that are used to bolt the bed floor down in the traditional 4 locations are entirely different. The supports are taller and mount wide side down. The perimeter panels are one off's and is the tail panel and front panel. The front panel and tail panel could be modified from a metal floor bed. The tail pan would take a lot of work to do though.

As I understand, only about 3000 of these beds were made in long bed, none in short bed. That's 3000 out of 18 million(?) Squarebodies made making them pretty scarce. And since these were a $100 option typically only used by small ranches/ farms that needed a wood floor for livestock, most have been used hard and are in pretty rough shape.

No parts are available except for the wood, bolts, and bed strips. When I last spoke to Bedwood, they stated they sell less than one set of wood a year.

It took me several years to find one, in any condition, besides people telling me regularly that their cousin, uncle, etc. has 2 in his field, etc.

Restoring the bedfloor and shortening it for a 6' has been the most challenging part of the build of my son's truck. I do have 2 extra bed supports, but that is the part that is least likely to be damaged or rusted.

The sheetmetal can be fabricated at roughly $200 a piece x 9 pieces, add a good 10 hours of skilled fabricator on the tailpan and front panel, add wood, hardware, etc and you are at an easy $3k on the floor alone if you wanted to build one.

I've only seen 3 on trucks in pictures, including the OP's and have never seen one actually for sale other than the one I bought which was in fairly good shape but still took $1500 in bodywork/ sheetmetal repair of pits, tears, minor rust, etc of the perimeter pieces.

Hopefully, you can find one in decent shape that can be repaired and as long as you have most of the pieces you'll be in good shape.

Good luck on your search, and if you hear of one anywhere and don't buy it, let me know and I'll go get it.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Looking for a hard to come by 8 ft wooden bed floor body to replace the one that originally came on my 1974 gmc k2500. Parted company with it a long time ago, picture for reference.
Condition doesn't matter, hit me up with what you got or pointers on where to find one.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wow, that's cool. Didnt even know such a thing existed, never heard of one.

If your just looking to replace the wood, you could probaly just buy some the right thickness and then custom cut it to fit, or have a wood shop do it.
You it's the supports are rusted out, I'm pretty sure you'll never find a replacement part. Best bet would be to just buy some steel make your own.
I dont know any body with anything like that. Being that it's that rare, I probably never will either.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
No part of the wood floor is shared with the traditional metal floor other than the two small, short supports in the middle. The 6 cross supports that are used to bolt the bed floor down in the traditional 4 locations are entirely different. The supports are taller and mount wide side down. The perimeter panels are one off's and is the tail panel and front panel. The front panel and tail panel could be modified from a metal floor bed. The tail pan would take a lot of work to do though.

As I understand, only about 3000 of these beds were made in long bed, none in short bed. That's 3000 out of 18 million(?) Squarebodies made making them pretty scarce. And since these were a $100 option typically only used by small ranches/ farms that needed a wood floor for livestock, most have been used hard and are in pretty rough shape.

No parts are available except for the wood, bolts, and bed strips. When I last spoke to Bedwood, they stated they sell less than one set of wood a year.

It took me several years to find one, in any condition, besides people telling me regularly that their cousin, uncle, etc. has 2 in his field, etc.

Restoring the bedfloor and shortening it for a 6' has been the most challenging part of the build of my son's truck. I do have 2 extra bed supports, but that is the part that is least likely to be damaged or rusted.

The sheetmetal can be fabricated at roughly $200 a piece x 9 pieces, add a good 10 hours of skilled fabricator on the tailpan and front panel, add wood, hardware, etc and you are at an easy $3k on the floor alone if you wanted to build one.

I've only seen 3 on trucks in pictures, including the OP's and have never seen one actually for sale other than the one I bought which was in fairly good shape but still took $1500 in bodywork/ sheetmetal repair of pits, tears, minor rust, etc of the perimeter pieces.

Hopefully, you can find one in decent shape that can be repaired and as long as you have most of the pieces you'll be in good shape.

Good luck on your search, and if you hear of one anywhere and don't buy it, let me know and I'll go get it.

I bet you could probably make your own custom.
If you took a regular bed, cut the floor out, thinned the bed cross members, welded in some angle iron where you needed it, and custom fit some nice stained oak 1x6x8s, put in the trim strips from a wood bed stepside, and make sure there enough supports for all your carriage bolts.
I think it could be done if you were dead set of having a 6 foot, wood bed, fleetside.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I bet you could probably make your own custom.
If you took a regular bed, cut the floor out, thinned the bed cross members, welded in some angle iron where you needed it, and custom fit some nice stained oak 1x6x8s, put in the trim strips from a wood bed stepside, and make sure there enough supports for all your carriage bolts.
I think it could be done if you were dead set of having a 6 foot, wood bed, fleetside.

Yes, Ive seen this many times and it looks good but it isn't as cheap as people think, probably $2-3k if you paid a shop to build it. It's a very popular mod in the airbag/ lowered crown to raise the bedfloor. When wood is involved, it gets difficult and expensive very quickly. Wood alone is now $350-500 for quality pine/ oak at Lowes/ HD. The metal strips are a few hundred, etc.

And after all that time/ money, you wouldn't have a stock appearing bed if that's the look you are going for. I'm kind of an OCD person who likes subtle mods that most wouldn't notice. My son's truck will be the only one at a show with a factory wood bed floor.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Yes, Ive seen this many times and it looks good but it isn't as cheap as people think, probably $2-3k if you paid a shop to build it. It's a very popular mod in the airbag/ lowered crown to raise the bedfloor. When wood is involved, it gets difficult and expensive very quickly. Wood alone is now $350-500 for quality pine/ oak at Lowes/ HD. The metal strips are a few hundred, etc.

And after all that time/ money, you wouldn't have a stock appearing bed if that's the look you are going for. I'm kind of an OCD person who likes subtle mods that most wouldn't notice. My son's truck will be the only one at a show with a factory wood bed floor.

True. With wood prices the way they are right now, thatd be a million dollar mod, haha. I definatly prefer the stock look as well.
I like steel beds best myself, but wood beds can be beautiful, especially if your making a show worthy truck. All mine are work truck quality. I just like to think how it could be done/how I would do it.
Your sons truck is gonna be a nice truck.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
True. With wood prices the way they are right now, thatd be a million dollar mod, haha. I definatly prefer the stock look as well.
I like steel beds best myself, but wood beds can be beautiful, especially if your making a show worthy truck. All mine are work truck quality. I just like to think how it could be done/how I would do it.
Your sons truck is gonna be a nice truck.
The only sad irony is the wood bed was usually the ones best to absolute piss and of course wood tends to rot faster than steel rusty away.. especially with moisture held on, then the option wasn’t super common anyway, and went away before 1980.. it’s cool but it would be really cool if guys like OP could have desired bed without searching the earth with a comb and magnifying glass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224