Vehicle Insurance....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
So I carry full coverage on my Blazer. It's paid for but I figured as much $$ and time I put into it, I want it protected.

I'm due for emissions next month. Found out that in AZ, "Collector Cars" are exempt. You must carry collector car ins and have it registered as a collector, which in AZ can be any car 25 years or older. The K5 qualifies.

Hagerty was the first co. that came to mind so I got an online quote......more than half of what I'm paying now!

Pretty much biggest thing with Hagerty, and others I assume, is that you are limited to how many miles you can drive per year. The K5 is not my DD, so I said 5K.

I don't see any reason not to ????

They also want replace cost - installation for certain items....

Body
Paint
Suspension
Motor
Audio
Interior

What would you guys list to replace those......I don't think they actually check unless your way out there on your estimates.

I don't have the quote in front of me but here's what I put, roughly:

Body: $4500
Paint: $4000
Suspension: $6500 (includes tires)
Motor: $6000
Audio: $1000
Interior: $2000

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Actual amounts I listed:

Interior: $2500
Engine: $9000
Audio: $1100
Exterior-Frame-Chassis: $9500
Paint: $1500
Suspension: $7000

Remember these amounts are parts and labor.

Estimated value of truck: $9000

Probably a little low on the paint.

.??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
geico has collector car/truck insurance have you tried them?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Does engine include drivetrain(trans,tcase,etc....)?

And i just have liability on mine.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Does engine include drivetrain(trans,tcase,etc....)?

And i just have liability on mine.

My guess is that falls under Body - Frame - Chassis.... not sure

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've heard that they generally don't insure lifted trucks. If asked, I would tell them that as far as you know it's stock height.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
geico has collector car/truck insurance have you tried them?

Geico doesnt consider anything newer than 1980 collectable.

I've heard that they generally don't insure lifted trucks. If asked, I would tell them that as far as you know it's stock height.

Decided just to scrap that idea. Primary reason was to avoid emissions testing. In AZ you are expemt if registered as collectable and insured as such (must be 25 years or older).

I can go online with my VIN and get my vehicles emissions history and last report. Passed last year.....on the third try...barely. Pretty much expecting the same. Thing runs way too rich....

Pretty sure Ill need to be making some fixes after I go next month. If you still fail after spending $400 (must show reciepts) in parts-labor, you can get a 2 year wavier.

I already got a laundry list of things to replace...... it adds up fast. May as well fix the problem rather than avoid it.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have Hagerty on both my 79 and 85 Monte SS. Just gave them my estimated value on each, how many miles driven each year, and that was it. They never asked for a break down of prices like they did for you. I did have to send them pics of the SS because it is "Under Restoration", a category they do have. I have $8000 on the truck and I think $5000 on the SS. It cost me about the same as what I used to pay to have just "storage" insurance on both during the 6 months I didn't drive them. And it's now full coverage year round.

edit: If you do eventually decide to go with Hagerty, I would highly recommend NOT lying to them about modifications and such to your truck. I have heard their guys know their ****, and they would know your truck is lifted.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I can go online with my VIN and get my vehicles emissions history and last report. Passed last year.....on the third try...barely. Pretty much expecting the same. Thing runs way too rich....

Pretty sure Ill need to be making some fixes after I go next month. If you still fail after spending $400 (must show reciepts) in parts-labor, you can get a 2 year wavier.

I already got a laundry list of things to replace...... it adds up fast. May as well fix the problem rather than avoid it.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to that ****.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus