Van Chassis Squarebody ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Plus that body line behind the cab that matches the bed and the fender skirts...I dont think that was done on a production line. Would have cost too much.

So yeah now that I really look at it...Ive never seen that anywhere. Many a g30 flats ,conversions, double cabs, and so on but nothing with that degree of body modification.

That's the part that really caught my eye too. Not only does it look like something the factory would not have spent the time to do, it looks like the sort of thing a custom job WOULD have definitely gone through the effort to do, it really ties the whole thing together and is probably the main reason it looks good instead of just another goofy van conversion. It actually looks really nice, in the sort of way that my instincts are trying to talk me out of but my brain can't help but sorta like it

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The g20 done up like an animal(fur,tail,ears and all) that was in the movies in the 90s(NOT the dumb and dumber van) is a guy from centerpoint,AL(where I live today). I use to see it and many of his creations running around town in the 80s 90s

Actually Custom Creations AND Southern Comfort are both in Alabama. There probably haven't been many a GM "COPO type" custom van or truck style since the 80s ive yet to see at least once. But ive never seen one with a squarebody bed and cab trim. Plus that body line behind the cab that matches the bed and the fender skirts...I dont think that was done on a production line. Would have cost too much.

So yeah now that I really look at it...Ive never seen that anywhere. Many a g30 flats ,conversions, double cabs, and so on but nothing with that degree of body modification.
I was thinking that Custom Creations and Southern Comfort were 1 in the same. Is it possible Southern Comfort is a child company of Custom Creations, as Custom Creations dba Southern Comfort ?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Guy probably grew up always wanting one of these.

You must be registered for see images attach
This one is a Ford Econoline isn't it?

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I'd have neither. Lol

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I was thinking that Custom Creations and Southern Comfort were 1 in the same. Is it possible Southern Comfort is a child company of Custom Creations, as Custom Creations dba Southern Comfort ?

Not that I know of. I know SC is now owned by Fox Factory INC and has a sub called Rocky Mountain Truckworks. SC was founded in 1979 in onteona Alabama by Rod Mcsweeney and now ran(president/owner) by his son Matt. He got his start painting crispy cream and frito lay vans but then moved to trussville, AL ( next door to my childhood home). It is now called SCA performance and caters to all brands doing lifted and decked out trucks.

Custom creations the business is, as far as I know, just a body shop.

Many many many people refer to a custom truck as a custom creations truck or southern comfort custom creations.

I have a telephone interview lined up with Matt Mcsweeney as I was planning to do a Made in USA video on them for my YouTube channel. I will update with his answer to this and some other questions as soon as we talk.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not that I know of. I know SC is now owned by Fox Factory INC and has a sub called Rocky Mountain Truckworks. SC was founded in 1979 in onteona Alabama by Rod Mcsweeney and now ran(president/owner) by his son Matt. He got his start painting crispy cream and frito lay vans but then moved to trussville, AL ( next door to my childhood home). It is now called SCA performance and caters to all brands doing lifted and decked out trucks.

Custom creations the business is, as far as I know, just a body shop.

Many many many people refer to a custom truck as a custom creations truck or southern comfort custom creations.

I have a telephone interview lined up with Matt Mcsweeney as I was planning to do a Made in USA video on them for my YouTube channel. I will update with his answer to this and some other questions as soon as we talk.

Yep, here's info I later found when I was trying to find who built this truck. Copy and Pasted below.

Southern Comfort Conversions, Inc. (originally AAA Auto Truck and Trailer) was a custom vehicle manufacturer founded by Rod McSweeney in 1979. The company got its start in Oneonta rebuilding van chassis for companies like Krispy Kreme and Frito-Lay, but moved into the business of customizing passenger vans for resale. It changed its name in 1986 and moved its headquarters to 7769 Gadsden Highway in Trussville.

In 2006, Southern Comfort purchased Centurion Vehicles of White Pigeon, Michigan, a licensed upfitter of Starcraft Conversions. With the acquisition, Southern Comfort became the largest pickup truck, van and SUV customizer in the United States with vehicles sold in all 50 states and in countries around the world.

Late that year, the company relocated to a new 532,000 square foot facility 4680 Pinson Valley Parkway near the intersection of Carson Road in the Pinson Valley Industrial Park in Center Point. A ribbon-cutting was held on November 17, 2006 with Governor Bob Riley and Center Point Mayor Tom Henderson in attendance.

Within a year, however, an economic downturn led McSweeney to sell the company, which then employed around 200 people, to a private equity firm. That company decided to shut down its Southern Comfort division in 2009.

McSweeney and his wife still owned the previous facility in Trussville. Along his sons Matt and Michael, McSweeney founded MCM Custom Vehicles in 2009 with many of the long-time Southern Comfort employees. That business grew into a family of related businesses re-incorporated in 2012 under the banner of McSweeeny Holdings.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I had one of these 45 years ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

I have always liked the Willys line of vehicles. There are a couple nice trucks in town here, but unfortunately they are not running stock drivetrain anymore. They do look sharp, though.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
[QUOTE="HotRodPC,[/QUOTE]

Wow, here I am passing on info on them and did not know they ever had a production facility in centerpoint/pinson. Its like they are following me man:hidesbehindsofa:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20