Valve Spring Retainers for 305

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geoduck

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm having a heck of a time finding the correct size 305 valve spring retainer sets. I ordered from Summit and the Jungle Place but the retainers were too large. In both cases I was very specific 1985 C10 305.
My Go-To O'Reilly's can't get them. NAPA guy did not know what they were!
Am I missing something? Is there something specific about that valve size I should know? I'm absolutely sure the engine is stock.

Attachments

• 3933007B-BEB3-4CB8-822E-76821E0AA221.jpeg
    3933007B-BEB3-4CB8-822E-76821E0AA221.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 10

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are you talking about the round part next to the spring or the split cone parts that hold the valve?

Geoduck

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Are you talking about the round part next to the spring or the split cone parts that hold the valve?
Rick, they are the two part cone lock/keeper that attach to the valve ends holding valve spring retainers.
I'm replacing the valve seals. On the very first valve I lost the keeper! LOL typical. :disgust:

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Make sure you're installing them correctly. If those keepers are too big, they're probably for a BBC. or another make. All SBC valve keepers (the part in your picture) are the same.. The spring retainers (the part that fits on top of the spring are engine specific according to spring size..

Get off the internet and go to an automotive machine shop and get what you want..

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I found out the hard way years ago that the valve spring locks' taper (official name) needs to match the taper of the retainer. No telling what has happened in the past or what brand hardware was used if a valve job was done.
Bring two locks and a retainer to a machine shop and see if they can match them up.

Geoduck

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I found out the hard way years ago that the valve spring locks' taper (official name) needs to match the taper of the retainer. No telling what has happened in the past or what brand hardware was used if a valve job was done.
Bring two locks and a retainer to a machine shop and see if they can match them up.
Thanks Rick, clearly this is the answer. The valve stems are 11/32 as they should be so it has to be a valve retainer/lock mismatch. I just assumed they were all universal.
Will report back!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
A couple of things that have helped me find lost pieces, 1 a pair of 4.0 readers and a flashlight, I found a carbureator jet,thrown into a gravel drive way that way, it was like having a magnifying glass on everything and the flashlight made it very noticeable. The other is a cheap metal detector,it was my son's, can't remember what it was just remember I was so happy I bought myself one,and never needed it again.
I guess an explanation is necessary,I live on gravel,my driveway is gravel,I was going through my kids 4 wheeler carb out in the driveway. My neighbor Ryann,sprayed carb cleaner through the main jet and held the jet up,to look through it,decided he needed to shake the carb cleaner out of it and didn't have a firm grip.I knew best option was try like he'll to find this stupid jet,in 12 foot radius in gravel. I suppose 4x magnification wouldn't help someone who needed 4x magnification but since I didn't I was crawling on my hands an knees with magnifying glasses stuck to my face. It worked,I keep them here just in case now.

Last edited:

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think dropping one of those keepers has to be one of the worst moments of terror for a backyard mechanic. It has to be close to the sound of a valve falling into a cylinder.

And yes, I thought they were all the same size too.

Geoduck

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think dropping one of those keepers has to be one of the worst moments of terror for a backyard mechanic. It has to be close to the sound of a valve falling into a cylinder.

And yes, I thought they were all the same size too.
LOL, True!
I had rags covering all the oil return holes in the head so it could have been much worse. I saw it fall off down the drivers side and for the life of me could not find the darn thing.

I've ended up buying a rebuilt pair of heads so no need to go on with this topic.
New heads are a better choice for my long term 305 goals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag